The Dark Mod Forums

Hidden Hands: The Lost Citadel (23/07/2020)

JackFarmer

I've also enjoyed the slipping in of contemporary lyrics and musicians.

@tapewolf

Together with @Jedi_Wannabe you have been the only one till now to mention that! :)

23 hours ago, tapewolf said:

I particularly love the soundtrack work in this series, and am still impressed you managed to find suitable uses for the M1 Pole preset.

...you also have an M1 at home? :)

As for the Books of the True Believers:

Their only purpose is to prove that the Builder's religion is quit lunatic! :)

When I gave the texts for these books to @Amadeus for editing I really had concerns that he might think that I have crossed the border to absolute insanity and he would fear for my mental well-being. Later on I found out that he actually loved that weird stuff. :)

Edited by JackFarmer
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Marbrien said:

I cannot get this to install properly. I'm using an up-to-date TDM version 2.08, 64 bit. I've tried using the in-game installer, and also downloading it separately from all three of the download sites on the FMs page of the TDM site.  The result is always the same. On installing the mission, I get a blank Objectives parchment, and cannot proceed. I have uninstalled the game each time before trying another download. Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong?

NB: is there a way of verifying that a download has completed without corruption, other than by trying to install the FM?

OK, I have got this working by downloading the FM on another PC and taking it across to my TDM laptop on a USB stick. It seems there may be a problem downloading files on that laptop.

@duzenko

@stgatilov

I am at a loss here. Could you be so kind and try to help him?

Strike that, his last paragraph was added later and I did not see that.

Edited by JackFarmer

13 minutes ago, JackFarmer said:

I really had concerns that he might think that I have crossed the border to absolute insanity

haha, that ship has sailed long ago, mein Freund ;)

Edited by Amadeus
  • Haha 1

On 7/26/2020 at 2:06 PM, JackFarmer said:

Hint

Reveal hidden contents

Search for an electrical device that is meant to provide fresh air and behaves differently compared to the identical devices installed everywhere else in the station.

First of all, thank you, that worked, and after much fiddling around in the caves I got in the temple and got to the citadel and I'm now exploring the citadel.

Spoiler

What does the "Mysterious key" open?  Similarly, where is the key to the "Quarters" area? 

And, where is the cube I'm supposed to turn in certain directions to get into the chapel?  (I've been to the court area, the prison area, and the giant library area.)

3 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

@tapewolf

Together with @Jedi_Wannabe you have been the only one till now to mention that! :)

...you also have an M1 at home? :)

for the Books of the True Believers:

Reveal hidden contents

Their only purpose is to prove that the Builder's religion is quit lunatic! :)

When I gave the texts for these books to @Amadeus for editing I really had concerns that he might think that I have crossed the border to absolute insanity and he would fear for my mental well-being. Later on I found out that he actually loved that weird stuff. :)

Yes, the M1R.  They got cheap on ebay a couple of years ago so I grabbed one.  It's been a fun addition to the studio.    I had been meaning to ask if you used the real thing or the VST in these, but it didn't seem worth digging up the Hidden Hands 1 thread to ask something that's irrelevant to most people's enjoyment of the mission anyway...

@prjames

Those keys should become apparent in time.  As for the cube:

Spoiler

There are four double-doors in the main hall with the huge statue.  The prison and the library are two of these, but there are two others.

EDIT: It can be confusing because apart from the library, they all look the same, like they're leading down into the prison.  I kept getting them confused myself.

Edited by tapewolf
Clarification in spoiler answer

Tried for a second time with a fresh download of the updater and made a fresh installation in C:/games/darkmod.

Transfered the fm folder with my saves in and still the mission crashes at the same point when opening the

Spoiler

two golden doors in the zombie area.

Any help?

17 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

Hello Summer,

Try this:

Reveal hidden contents

grafik.png.15fb70d60b6d94598ac302e441b4776f.png

Got it! Thanks, Jack :)

Only two more things to do:

One, there's a chest in the Court I can't open, and I can't seem to find a key, though I feel like I've been everywhere. Two, I have the three items needed to get the Scepter of Discipline, but no clue as to where to use them...
Any help would be appreciated. I don't know why this mission has me searching in every nook and cranny, and I still can't seem to find what I need :( Poo, maybe I'm getting rusty...

5 hours ago, Summer said:

Got it! Thanks, Jack :)

Only two more things to do:

Reveal hidden contents

One, there's a chest in the Court I can't open, and I can't seem to find a key, though I feel like I've been everywhere. Two, I have the three items needed to get the Scepter of Discipline, but no clue as to where to use them...

Any help would be appreciated. I don't know why this mission has me searching in every nook and cranny, and I still can't seem to find what I need :( Poo, maybe I'm getting rusty...

As for your questions.

1. You are right; there is someting wrong with that box. I don't think there is a key for it in the mission (I think it was supposed to be pickable). Thus, skip it

2. Scepter of Discipline: Return to the caves and look out for a flooded area with a skeleton patrolling it....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marbrien said:

I'm playing on Expert, and I'm in the Citadel. I've got the parchment obtained

Hide contents

by using the 4 bones.

I've been in the Court but cannot get in the Quarters or Prison. Any hints please?

I was in pretty close to the same place and stuck because I didn't realize there were four wide doors instead of two in the main hall,

and a certain room had levers to open 3 of 'em.

(Thanks to tapewolf for the hint that helped me along.)

A few suggestions:

* I assume you need a key to open the prison.  By continual searching I did ultimately find the prison key (as well as a readable telling you what you need to find in the prison).  The lock is almost invisible on the left side of the door.

* Search the library for readables.  You'll need 'em.

* Once you get as many readables as possible, you'll eventually need to solve the puzzles

in the room downstairs with the multiple towers (where the protagonist says, "Hmmm... An interesting mechanism.")

There are readables telling you what you need to do here and giving hints for

the four saints whose portraits are in the middle of the room

I was able to solve it on my own in one evening although I didn't believe it at first, given that I had all necessary readables.  This will give you a key you need to move the plot forward.  (Once you solve it, enjoy the happy music... you're basically done with puzzles, you're just going to be avoiding undead - some really scary - for the rest of the main mission.)

By the way, this was a very impressive mission!  😀

- prjames

Edited by prjames

I had already opened all the doors in the main hallway, and been to the Library, my query was how to open the doors specifically for the Quarters and Prison.

For anyone else stuck on the Prison key, on Expert:

Spoiler

It's in the Library. Go down the corridor towards the Library from the main hall. Do not take the first turning on the right, but go all the way to the end, where the corridor itself turns right. The Prison key is on the first table you come to on the left.

Edited by Marbrien

7 hours ago, denibrasco said:

Please someone to help me. I don't know how to solve this '' Find out what happened to the Citadel of Enlightenment''.

I've tried everything but still I'm missing something.

Have you made it into the chapel yet?  (Not the main citadel, the small chapel off it.)  If not, you have other things to do before you can satisfy this objective.

If you have made it into the chapel,

don't rush to the altars - instead,  look at the benches right in front of you at the entrance.  You'll find the relevant readable and a key.

- prjames

I managed to finish this, on Expert. Apart from some frustrations circumventing the undead, it was great.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Is there a use for the

Spoiler

small picture you pick up (I think it was near the "sinner" skeleton)?

2. I found I could get rid of the "red headlight" undead in the Quarters

Spoiler

by leading them into the library, where the skeletal guards would obligingly dispose of them. Was this intentional?

Thanks!

I'm having some difficulty getting the dial lock to function. A prompt appears when I frob it, telling me to "use the mousewheel or next inventory item" to manipulate the dial, but that doesn't seem to be working for me. Any ideas?

Edit: Never mind... figured it out literally five seconds after posting this, haha. For anyone else stumped by this: frob an individual dial, THEN use the mousewheel.

Edited by Ryan101

11 hours ago, prjames said:

Have you made it into the chapel yet?  (Not the main citadel, the small chapel off it.)  If not, you have other things to do before you can satisfy this objective.

If you have made it into the chapel,

Reveal hidden contents

don't rush to the altars - instead,  look at the benches right in front of you at the entrance.  You'll find the relevant readable and a key.

- prjames

I can't believe, this is the only place on the map I didn't check.

Thanks.

I just finished this great mission and I am once again amazed how different modders can make completely different scenarios in TDM! After all the city maps I recently played this was a welcome change, starting slow but then providing the first ever TDM underwater station followed by some Indiana Jones style subterranous caves and last not least the big citadel itself. My compliments! I experienced a few issues though, like I had several crashes in the citadel part when killing undead. Maybe this was caused by myself spawning more fire arrows as I really hadn't the patience to sneak through all those wide and brightly lit areas surrounded by enemies you can't kill. If I could make a suggestion, I would recommend to add some more holy water and fire arrows at least on easy difficulty. As somebody already said, some undead in the crypt are set to human so killing them with firearrows makes the mission fail. Strange enough not when using holy water. Also you could clip into some stuff in the station. BTW, is there any way to kill those floating eyes?

Edited by wesp5
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2020 at 7:03 AM, kin said:

Tried for a second time with a fresh download of the updater and made a fresh installation in C:/games/darkmod.

Transfered the fm folder with my saves in and still the mission crashes at the same point when opening the

Reveal hidden contents

two golden doors in the zombie area.

Any help?

@duzenko

@stgatilov

Is there a chance you could help him?

9 hours ago, Marbrien said:

I managed to finish this, on Expert. Apart from some frustrations circumventing the undead, it was great.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Is there a use for the

Reveal hidden contents

small picture you pick up (I think it was near the "sinner" skeleton)?

2. I found I could get rid of the "red headlight" undead in the Quarters

Reveal hidden contents

by leading them into the library, where the skeletal guards would obligingly dispose of them. Was this intentional?

Thanks!

As for the picture and the red headlight AIs:

The picture is connected to the readable placed in the same spot. It shall help the player to understand which of the portrais in the Ritual Room shows St. Antonius

The next update will fix the "advantage" you have described with the red ghosts vs. the Citadel guards. That was not intentional.

4 hours ago, wesp5 said:

As somebody already said, some undead in the crypt are set to human so killing them with firearrows makes the mission fail. Strange enough not when using holy water. Also you could clip into some stuff in the station. BTW, is there any way to kill those floating eyes?

The problem with the AI team setting will be fixed with the next update.

As for the ghosts with the red eyes: I have "bought" them from @Bienie (aka "Doc Frankenstein) and I think he made his creatures (as you would expect from such a doctor) invincible. However, the current version of the mission includes a false team allocation. Thus, you can take out these guys as per the method described above by Marbrien.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2020 at 12:03 PM, kin said:

Transfered the fm folder with my saves in and still the mission crashes at the same point when opening the ...
Any help?

Post your savegame and darkmod.cfg.

I'm having an issue where the music that plays when the elementals are released keeps repeating itself - even as I delve further into the Citadel. It's overwhelming all the other ambient sounds and obviously makes lockpicking extremely difficult, lol. Loading a save doesn't seem to help, nor does quitting. Is there a way to use a console command to stop it from playing? I've been quick saving, so I really don't want to have to start over.

Edited by Ryan101

2 hours ago, Ryan101 said:

I'm having an issue where the music that plays when the elementals are released keeps repeating itself - even as I delve further into the Citadel. It's overwhelming all the other ambient sounds and obviously makes lockpicking extremely difficult, lol. Loading a save doesn't seem to help, nor does quitting. Is there a way to use a console command to stop it from playing? I've been quick saving, so I really don't want to have to start over.

I ran into this problem early on during beta test, and it was fixed in a later build. But maybe not fixed completely? I don't know of any console command. Maybe try back tracking until the music changes - go back to the underwater station, see if that 'resets' the music, then go forward. Just an idea.

11 hours ago, stgatilov said:

Post your savegame and darkmod.cfg.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dKxDTrESxVXCDzFB0S4J2IndcoLZxbHd/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QFp9VjXEarhJUGDuEI1r9gBP_ESa9Rc3/view?usp=sharing

Restarted and replaying the game now hopping that it was a corrupt save but kept a save game with the issue just in case someone is willing to check in the above links.

Thanks for your time.

edit: replayed from the beginning with fresh download of the TDM and the mission to the point with the issue the game still crashes. I kept another link with a quicksave.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PwftmHUJfTPfdjJRQgPhr2urXB8XQBZ_/view?usp=sharing

Edited by kin

3 hours ago, Ryan101 said:

In the room with the fire elemntals: are there still "living" undead?

• Like 1