The Dark Mod Forums

Hidden Hands: The Lost Citadel (23/07/2020)

JackFarmer

1 hour ago, pwl said:

Are you talking about note that said to look in locker I think Edmund's I did that but nothing in locker would highlight??

Looked in locker again and nothing will highlight ?  my install is up to date 2.08

Question:

In Edmunds locker, there is a scroll. The inventory name is "Obstruction Note" or "Sabotage" (not sure about the name currently). Maybe you already removed it to your inventory and have not read it till now?

Edited by JackFarmer

@pwl, same thing happened to me but that was only the first glitch. Finished HHLC and all its side missions w/ the usage of console commands to get past those glitches.

So i'm leaving here what i discovered, i think it'll help:

General console stuff:

Showing console :

In the keyboard press CTRL + ALT + <THE_KEY_LEFT_OF_1> (not NUMPAD 1)

Hiding console : 

<THE_KEY_LEFT_OF_1>

Console autocompletion :

<LETTER(S)> + <TAB>

Getting object name :

g_showEntityInfo 1 (while looking at said object) - for some reason while this flag is active the luminosity/visibility of the player will increase drawing awareness of enemies, so perhaps a good idea to save before enabling it.

Resolution of glitches:

Edmund's note: 

only glitch (i was) not able to solve via console. In it presumably was the code to the airlock's number dial which i brute forced (tried combinations until finding the correct one) to open it. The code is: 

Spoiler

629 ; BTW the note's name is obstruction_note

Inside airlock:

There a player's narration will draw attention to a object that needs to be dealt with before proceeding further.

That object's location is hinted in posts above. Here's another additional hint.

Spoiler

You'll notice the vent in the emergency exit room has a frobbable side. Vents in other rooms have a fuse each, this has none.

When at object's location it can occur that it's not there at all (invisible and not frobbable).

So using the console i did this:

Spoiler

Got the object's name which is explosive_hidden.

Entered the command:

trigger explosive_hidden

Then the item appears and you can collect it and proceed safely through airlock floors.

The area after the underwater station: 

Levers (on dry ground) didn't activate.

So, again got each lever's name and triggered them. If the setting Open after Unlock is set you may not need to manually activate them.

For levers in the undead area (undead in front of golden gate), probably the same resolution is to be applied.

Possible causes

I don't remember if i was using "Uncapped FPS" in the settings or saves triggered the glitches described. Already deleted all the savegames so can't help the mission devs.

Never had to use TDM's console before, but found it a useful tool to solve these kinds of problems. 

Certainly you/devs will be able to figure it out.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info I tried to pick up note several times with no luck, then I reloaded a previous hard save and was able to get it.  I guess the quick save was the problem??

Ive heard this has been a problem in the past.  I will try to continue

That was great- I had to take three nights just to finish it, and thought it was very well put-together! The puzzles were actually challenging in a way that I don't think any other mission I've played has managed to pull off. In particular,

Spoiler

finding the bomb

was very tricky, and the solution was more subtle and detailed than I realized the engine was capable of. I do have one complaint though, which is that

Spoiler

the objective to "dismantle the bomb before entering the airlock" is extremely misleading. It's a separate objective than just finding it, so I didn't want to go in there until I was absolutely sure it was done, yet there seemed to be no way to do it- I scoured the whole building for a good hour trying to frob toolboxes, or maybe smash it against the side of the submarine that you can move back and forth, before finally giving up and actually believing the character's statement that he can go in the airlock now... at which point it completed automatically. If the stakes are exploding, it's kind of unfair not to be as clear as possible about what must be done.

Other than that, there were only some minor issues- getting stuck on terrain a few times (mostly in the citadel towards the end), and

Spoiler

right after the big golden doors I was able to open the metal gates to the right and left simply by reaching through the bars and hitting the switch- was that intentional? I'm assuming not, because it looks like there's a gap where you're supposed to shoot an arrow to hit the switch, at least for the left gate. Also, in that same area there were tiles in the floor that looked like they were supposed to set off traps on the walls, but when I stepped on them nothing happened.

Considering how huge, complicated and dense the level was, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself missing only 95 loot at the end- and 80 of that turned out to be a single gold brick that I somehow overlooked despite thoroughly searching the cabinet it was in. Anyway, I really enjoyed the puzzles, the scattered poems, and the insight into just how screwed-up and brutal the Builder's religion is! I'll never feel guilty robbing a church again.

• Thanks 1

Nice mission and good story. I have a framerate issue too, a lot of shaking and jerkiness.

I'm stuck:

Spoiler

The elemental gate won't open. Are there more than two switches (one by the flame jets, and the other directly across the roo from it) that open the gate?

Edited by mmij

On 9/3/2020 at 11:30 PM, mmij said:

Nice mission and good story. I have a framerate issue too, a lot of shaking and jerkiness.

I'm stuck:

Reveal hidden contents

The elemental gate won't open. Are there more than two switches (one by the flame jets, and the other directly across the roo from it) that open the gate?

Hint:

Can you try with an earlier savegame once again? The elementals are supposed to take out all zombies enabling attack-free lock-picking.

Alternatively, the cage to the left includes two fire arrows. You can try to hurt the zombies as much as possible and try to beat them to "death" (how absurd) with you sword....good luck!"

I can't find Saint Leroy's Hammer. Is it in The Quarters ? If it is, then I need to know where the key is to open that area.

***Later***

I know now the Quarters Key

Spoiler

is in the Chapel, but I need to know how to get into the Chapel. Looks like I may need a "hammer" as a key. Would this be Saint Leroy's Hammer ?? If not, how do I get into the Chapel.

***Later Still***

Ok , now I know where to find the Chapel Key

Spoiler

In the Ritual Room

Looks like another puzzle to solve.

Edited by CountMorillonite
Solving my own questions only to get new ones

Well okay, from The Painter's Wife to this thing. Disclaimer, I haven't read through this thread, so I may end up repeating stuff that has been brought up.

First of all, this took me 6 hours to finish, which makes it the longest single TDM mission from my recollection. And as I love the longer ones, I'm more than happy about it.

That said, it's definitely atypical. Whereas The Painter's Wife is extremely large, it does it in a very Thiefy-style; just an open ended environment to run around in. The Lost Citadel feels more akin to a Deus Ex mission, or I suppose Thief 4, where you move from area to area by completing objectives. While this was a big issue I had with Thief 4, that it was as if they hadn't played a Thief game at all and just reskinned Human Revolution, I'm very open to having different looks sprinkled in TDM. If I remember correctly, the first Hidden Hands mission was somewhat similar as well. Not to mention, at least in each area, you get to do a fair amount of running around, so it's not exactly a linear hallway to run through.

It also helps that the different areas are so, well, different. The first building, the lake/the compound and the citadel all have their own flavor. Almost like a new mission in each area. Considering the amount of detail, I can only imagine the workload.

While I enjoyed it having plethora of objectives, I almost got frustrated with the loot quota. I played on expert and finished with 4420/5000, 4400 being the objective. And that was after spending like an hour running around trying to find the last pieces. I'm not opposed to mandatory loot quotas, quite the opposite, but there is a certain danger when the mission area is not only this large, but when the design inhibits fast access around the map. Thankfully I managed it on a one-way trip and I honestly cannot imagine where the rest of the loot may have been hidden. Not to mention, 800 loot on one loot object that wasn't even tied to an objective? That's just crazy. At least it wasn't too hidden.

Audio was probably the biggest pain point I had. For reference, up to this point, I played every TDM mission with the "Ambient" sound slider at 100%. This mission forced me to lower it to around 40% and the music was still too loud at times. On the flipside, the dialogue, the player character in particular, was way too quiet and often drowned by the background music. Other than the mixing, the music itself was wildly inappropriate on two notable occasions, those being

Spoiler

the jumpscare after entering the Court and the rock track after opening the chapel key vault.

The first one is not only incredibly annoying, and the mixing issue only makes it worse, but also made little sense, since it's not like anything was happening. The latter was just hilariously out of place; believe me, as a hobbyist musician, I love it when map makers add flair by inserting non-stock sound elements, but that was very immersion-breaking.

The mission is also not without bugs (is any?). For starters, I'm not sure if it was intentional or just something wrong on my end, but the the roof on the very first building had all sorts of collision issues. I couldn't vault on to anything, and if I did jump onto one of those white box things for example, I couldn't properly jump while on top of them; jumping would lift me a little bit in the air and I would be stuck in an aerial glide until I got far enough away from the box. Same occurred on similar boxes on the ground level, right side of the building, where the spider bot patrols. Not a huge deal, but while trying to explore high and low, it got a little annoying.

Second is related to an objective. I may have just gotten incredibly lucky

Spoiler

You get the optional objective of finding the staff, and in the underwater compound, you find the three items you supposedly needed to obtain it. After entering the cave and exploring, I ended up in the enclosure where the staff was located. Except that the door to the staff room was already opened. I killed the skeleton guard, walked into the staff room and picked it up, objective complete. Only afterwards I realized the room had those three pedestals, that would activate the door when the three items were placed correctly. Certainly a bizarre case.

Some miscellaneous possibly spoilery stuff

Spoiler

As I mentioned earlier, I really enjoyed the different areas, the citadel in particular. Which is why it was a little bit of a shame that it only consisted of undead. Makes perfect sense considering the story, but undead make stealth pointless for me. Why would I waste time sneaking when I can just kill everyone? And obviously the combat isn't very fun either, but it gets the job done faster. It's too bad, since it really is a great environment to run around, and human enemies would've made it even more so.

I really loved the puzzle to open the chapel key vault. Not only the whole build-up, having to collect all the stories and stuff, but the presentation too. There's just something so visually appealing about these room-scale puzzle contraptions. And the puzzle itself was fun too.

As somebody else did also mention, the bomb objective was a mixed bag. I feel like I was quite lucky to figure out the fan-enclosures as fast as I did; never seen anything like it before, so could've potentially taken all day. After that, finding the bomb was easy, but the disassemble objective (or however it was worded) was incredibly misleading. I think I spent over half an hour walking around the entire map, trying to find a place where I could pull the damn thing apart. Eventually I found nothing, walked into the airlock and only then realized that a) there was a switch on the wall I could've pulled this entire time to open the airlock and b) I didn't actually have to do anything to the bomb. So my question is, why even have this objective, if you only needed to remove the bomb in the first place? Although to be fair, had I used my eyeballs and noticed the airlock-opening lever, I would've been out of there immediately and this paragraph wouldn't exist, but I still don't see the point of having that extra objective.

The last thing I feel like bringing up was the cave, and namely the hidden lever that puts all the gears in motion (big stairs start spinning, firetraps awaken and the visible levers become active). It isn't actually necessary at all to pull it, is it? I mean, it's only three zombies by the door. It probably takes less time to kill them by hand than waiting for the lazy firefucks to float down to ground level to even start fighting, only to miss every shot. If it really is unnecessary, I find that quite curious. Seems like a lot of effort for something that you're probably better off skipping, unless you want the fire arrows from the elemental cage.

This is just a note on game-mechanics, but I did not realize until after I was done with everything that I could break the security cameras and the spider bots with just my sword. Would've relieved a little bit of pressure had I known that earlier, lol. I quite enjoyed the cams too, since you barely see anybody ever use them.

While I did bring up a fair amount of negatives, I must reiterate that I did have fun. It's a giant mission with a really strong plot, lot of objectives, puzzles, and it's little different in design to typical TDM missions. While some of the more annoying aspects sapped some enjoyment out of it, I still commend the massive effort putting something like this together must've taken. It's not perfect, and I would be tempted to change some stuff for it to be more to my liking, but I would still recommend it to just about everybody. Good job again, I look forward to future missions.

PS. I realize there is a separate thread for walkthroughs and longer-form reviews, so feel free to move this if you feel these should go there instead. It's more natural for me to write in the mission-specific threads, but if you have rules or want to keep these for hints/support/whatnot then by all means.

Edited by roygato
  • Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 11:28 PM, CountMorillonite said:

I can't find Saint Leroy's Hammer. Is it in The Quarters ? If it is, then I need to know where the key is to open that area.

***Later***

I know now the Quarters Key

Reveal hidden contents

is in the Chapel, but I need to know how to get into the Chapel. Looks like I may need a "hammer" as a key. Would this be Saint Leroy's Hammer ?? If not, how do I get into the Chapel.

***Later Still***

Ok , now I know where to find the Chapel Key

Reveal hidden contents

In the Ritual Room

Looks like another puzzle to solve.

hint

Optional objective "Scepter of Discipline":

Hint 1:

Leroy's hammer can be found in the very same spot you found the readable that triggered the objective in the first place.

Hint 2:

You can find it at the same spot where you fond "Thei Sigil of Cassandra" and "The Book of Avery"

Hint 3:

Return to the underwater station. Check the table with  the plague maskes in the scanner room

Edited by JackFarmer

12 hours ago, roygato said:

Second is related to an objective. I may have just gotten incredibly lucky

Reveal hidden contents

You get the optional objective of finding the staff, and in the underwater compound, you find the three items you supposedly needed to obtain it. After entering the cave and exploring, I ended up in the enclosure where the staff was located. Except that the door to the staff room was already opened. I killed the skeleton guard, walked into the staff room and picked it up, objective complete. Only afterwards I realized the room had those three pedestals, that would activate the door when the three items were placed correctly. Certainly a bizarre case.

Comment:

You are right regarding the bomb objective: It is misleading. We are currently putting together the next update and thus we will change the misleading objectives and add a new letter giving additional hints for the bomb location.

Thank you.

Edited by JackFarmer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

hint

Reveal hidden contents

Optional objective "Scepter of Discipline":

Hint 1:

Leroy's hammer can be found in the very same spot you found the readable that triggered the objective in the first place.

Hint 2:

You can find it at the same spot where you fond "Thei Sigil of Cassandra" and "The Book of Avery"

Hint 3:

Return to the underwater station. Check the table with  the plague maskes in the scanner room

Reveal hidden contents

It's all good now.

Spoiler

Somehow I missed picking up the hammer wile grabbing the other stuff on the table.

Thanks for the mission. I will be replaying it in the future.

Edited by CountMorillonite

6 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

Comment:

Reveal hidden contents

You are right regarding the bomb objective: It is misleading. We are currently putting together the next update and thus we will change the misleading objectives and add a new letter giving additional hints for the bomb location.

Thank you.

Thanks, other newcomers will definitely appreciate it, especially if they're as blind as I am.

Btw, you quoted a different passage from my post than you commented on. I would actually like to hear about that part as well, if I just found a strange bug.

1 hour ago, roygato said:

Thanks, other newcomers will definitely appreciate it, especially if they're as blind as I am.

Btw, you quoted a different passage from my post than you commented on. I would actually like to hear about that part as well, if I just found a strange bug.

Sorry, you are right, wrong quote. However:

That's a bug, that has not been reported till now. Normal condition is, that you have to place the items on the pedestals you mentioned.

It seems some mechanics do not work on certain configurations (perhaps because of the complexity of the set-ups or the map size?). There had also been reports that the plate traps in the gated area before the Citadel do not activate the fireball shooters. However, these traps are even prefabs from stock and lots of players had no problems with the traps.

However, I am very sorry that the optional target in question did not work for you (it is normally quite challenging to complete it), but I do not know how to fix that.

{/spoiler]

Edited by JackFarmer

1 hour ago, JackFarmer said:

Sorry, you are right, wrong quote. However:

Hide contents

That's a bug, that has not been reported till now. Normal condition is, that you have to place the items on the pedestals you mentioned.

It seems some mechanics do not work on certain configurations (perhaps because of the complexity of the set-ups or the map size?). There had also been reports that the plate traps in the gated area before the Citadel do not activate the fireball shooters. However, these traps are even prefabs from stock and lots of players had no problems with the traps.

However, I am very sorry that the optional target in question did not work for you (it is normally quite challenging to complete it), but I do not know how to fix that.

{/spoiler]

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks for the answer

Spoiler

Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if the massive mission size results in these strange game-states. And don't worry about it; it was honestly funny how I could just walk right in as if I was invited. Imagine if Indiana Jones had it so easy in his adventures.

What comes to the fireball shooters, I can also confirm they didn't work for me. Or actually let me clarify. I stepped on one of them, nothing happened, I stepped away and quicksaved. After fucking something up I quickloaded and after spawning in, the trap shot out a fireball. So kind of worked? lol

Edited by roygato

On 8/10/2020 at 3:27 PM, JackFarmer said:

hint:

Hide contents

You can find a readable with the code in one of the lockers in the scanner room. It is Edmund;s locker.

[/spoiler)

Actually that note won't highlight... I read about that being a problem somewhere. Can you just give me the code?

OK, updated the fm to version 2, so now everything is frobable. The note has an objective attached to it. Just the code wouldn't have worked.

Please just tell me though. Where is the bloody

Spoiler

bomb

??? "To the left of the

Spoiler

airlock",  someone says. "Look for something odd in or near a vent & something the other rooms don't have" ???

Edited by Acolytesix
updated to version 2

1 hour ago, Acolytesix said:

Actually that note won't highlight... I read about that being a problem somewhere. Can you just give me the code?

OK, updated the fm to version 2, so now everything is frobable. The note has an objective attached to it. Just the code wouldn't have worked.

Please just tell me though. Where is the bloody

Reveal hidden contents

bomb

??? "To the left of the

Reveal hidden contents

airlock",  someone says. "Look for something odd in or near a vent & something the other rooms don't have" ???

hint:

1. There are several ventialtors in the underwater station.

2. Search for one that behaves differently compared to the others...

Edited by JackFarmer

2 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

hint:

Hide contents

1. There are several ventialtors in the underwater station.

2. Search for one that behaves differently compared to the others...

The only one I find different is the one in the

Spoiler

"printing room"/analysis. Is that colder air or smoke coming out of the vent? Right above where the hammer & cigil is. How do I open that, if that's it? That won't highlight...

If this isn't the one, can someone please tell me what room it's in? I really want to go forward now... I'm sure there's a lot more things ahead after the airlock...

Edited by Acolytesix

Ok, so I finally found the bloody thing! Isn't the Quarters & chapel supposed to come before part 3 - The Caves? I think I took a wrong turn somewhere... I'm in the citadel now & I'm not armed for any of that in any way. Found some back cave that leads past the walking skeletons by the golden doors & end up

Spoiler

behind them, where they are barricaded anyway

... Skipped the 5 switches too it seems. What were they supposed to do?

Edited by Acolytesix

3 hours ago, Acolytesix said:

Ok, so I finally found the bloody thing! Isn't the Quarters & chapel supposed to come before part 3 - The Caves? I think I took a wrong turn somewhere... I'm in the citadel now & I'm not armed for any of that in any way. Found some back cave that leads past the walking skeletons by the golden doors & end up

Reveal hidden contents

behind them, where they are barricaded anyway

... Skipped the 5 switches too it seems. What were they supposed to do?

Comment:

1. The Quarters and the Chapel are part of the Citadel and are the last resorts accessible when other tasks within the Citadel have been completed.

2, Not sure how you could take a wrong turn as from the caves (part III) there is only one way into the final area. How did you go past the skeletons? I did not create a hidden entrance in this gated area before the door that leads directly into the Citadel. If this is a bug, I would like to fix it.

3. What do you mean by "five switches"?

Edited by JackFarmer

11 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

Comment:

Hide contents

1. The Quarters and the Chapel are part of the Citadel and are the last resorts accessible when other tasks within the Citadel have been completed.

2, Not sure how you could take a wrong turn as from the caves (part III) there is only one way into the final area. How did you go past the skeletons? I did not create a hidden entrance in this gated area before the door that leads directly into the Citadel. If this is a bug, I would like to fix it.

3. What do you mean by "five switches"?

oh wow, really? I can keep playing this version right? I hate everything undead without fire arrows and or holy water... :) 

I'm just waking up, give me a little bit to wake up & I'll go in. It's saved right there, cuz I thought the whole thing was weird & funny at the same time. How did that back door happen without your knowledge?

As for the switches. Those 5 on the  'mainland'.  Levers is probably a better word. There's one by a window that I never got to either. 3 on the shoreline. Havn't found the 5th one though.

So I am on the right path then? The caves come first & then the expedition camp/quarters. Where do I get artillery for the skeletons?

1 hour ago, Acolytesix said:

oh wow, really? I can keep playing this version right? I hate everything undead without fire arrows and or holy water... :) 

I'm just waking up, give me a little bit to wake up & I'll go in. It's saved right there, cuz I thought the whole thing was weird & funny at the same time. How did that back door happen without your knowledge?

As for the switches. Those 5 on the  'mainland'.  Levers is probably a better word. There's one by a window that I never got to either. 3 on the shoreline. Havn't found the 5th one though.

So I am on the right path then? The caves come first & then the expedition camp/quarters. Where do I get artillery for the skeletons?

Comment:

I think I understand now. Could it be that you were talking about "zombies" but referrred to them as "skeletons"?

The set-up is:

• Before the golden gate there are three zombies guarding it.
  • After the golden gate there are two skeletons partoling the corridors which eventually lead you into the Citadel.
  • The zombies will attack every player trying to lockpick the golden gate. One can try to kill them with the sword, but that's very brutish, inelegant and difficult. That's why you should have a closer look at the readable that lies on the table in the cave with the four gigantic platforms.

However, the gampelay is designed for the following steps:

• There are four switches in the cave with the (at map start not rotating) gigantic platforms and two switches in the cave with the golden gate high above to the left and two the right. However, all those switches do not work when you enter start in the caves.
  • When you explore the caves, you will find another switch in a flooded, rectangular area. (The area in question includes three floating, wooden thingies). When you activate this switch, then the platforms will start to rotate, and the four switches in the platform cave be used to start/stop rotation.
  • Use the four switches in a way to create some sort of stairs that allow you to reach the opening high above.
  • When you have reached the opening, then you can go either left or right and activate the switches high above. Activating these switches will open gates releasing fire elementals (two elementals are caged on every side). The fire elementals are meant to kill the zombies (and they are friends of the player).

So....

If you managed to get through the golden gate without killing the zombies with your sword or executing the procedure as described above, then I would like to know, how you did that because that's not what we designed and would need correction before we release version 3 of the map. It would be great, if you could help me here.

2 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

Comment:

Hide contents

I think I understand now. Could it be that you were talking about "zombies" but referrred to them as "skeletons"?

The set-up is:

• Before the golden gate there are three zombies guarding it.
  • After the golden gate there are two skeletons partoling the corridors which eventually lead you into the Citadel.
  • The zombies will attack every player trying to lockpick the golden gate. One can try to kill them with the sword, but that's very brutish, inelegant and difficult. That's why you should have a closer look at the readable that lies on the table in the cave with the four gigantic platforms.

However, the gampelay is designed for the following steps:

• There are four switches in the cave with the (at map start not rotating) gigantic platforms and two switches in the cave with the golden gate high above to the left and two the right. However, all those switches do not work when you enter start in the caves.
  • When you explore the caves, you will find another switch in a flooded, rectangular area. (The area in question includes three floating, wooden thingies). When you activate this switch, then the platforms will start to rotate, and the four switches in the platform cave be used to start/stop rotation.
  • Use the four switches in a way to create some sort of stairs that allow you to reach the opening high above.
  • When you have reached the opening, then you can go either left or right and activate the switches high above. Activating these switches will open gates releasing fire elementals (two elementals are caged on every side). The fire elementals are meant to kill the zombies (and they are friends of the player).

So....

If you managed to get through the golden gate without killing the zombies with your sword or executing the procedure as described above, then I would like to know, how you did that because that's not what we designed and would need correction before we release version 3 of the map. It would be great, if you could help me here.

Maybe now I can find out how to get to the pictures I've taken over the years with TDM (where is that folder?) 

It can't be a flaw. That would be too weird. It's a lengthy tunnel with glowing mushrooms from where the giant spiral staircase is. It goes through solid rock & then there you are on the inside behind the doors. Can hear the skeletons on the other side. The pic I took with my phone is to big. If you tell me how to get to the ingame pictures I'll send the exact location.

41 minutes ago, Acolytesix said:

Maybe now I can find out how to get to the pictures I've taken over the years with TDM (where is that folder?) 

It can't be a flaw. That would be too weird. It's a lengthy tunnel with glowing mushrooms from where the giant spiral staircase is. It goes through solid rock & then there you are on the inside behind the doors. Can hear the skeletons on the other side. The pic I took with my phone is to big. If you tell me how to get to the ingame pictures I'll send the exact location.

The ingame pictures are stored under the folder

Dark Mod/screenshots

Please upload the pics here (if you know how to reduce the size of the pics) or through an online uploader of your choice.