The Dark Mod Forums

Many variables dont work in cfg files

Gadavre

Hello dear developers!

Why do many variables not work in your darkmod.cfg?

I changed the following variables  and set the value to " 0"

seta pm_bobroll "0"
seta pm_bobpitch "0"
seta pm_bobup "0"
seta pm_runroll "0"
seta pm_runpitch "0"
seta pm_runbob "0"
seta pm_walkbob "0"
seta pm_crouchbob "0"

I launch the mod. . I run  training mission. And all settings are reset!!

The game also does not read variables from autoexec. cfg.

Edited by Gadavre

A tiny bit of research would have told you the game was released in 2009, so no, it's not a beta version, nor "very early" to be adding graphic effects to an engine from 2004.

Welcome to the forums. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Springheel said:

A tiny bit of research would have told you the game was released in 2009, so no, it's not a beta version, nor "very early" to be adding graphic effects to an engine from 2004.

Maybe then the coders of this game will finally be able to teach the game to read the configs correctly? In Doom 3 and Doom 3 bfg edition, everything was meticulous and perfect with it

Edited by Gadavre

Springheel may have been reacting to your tone but two wrongs don't make a right.

The cvars you mentioned are head-bob settings.

Try adding your customizations to an autoexec.cfg file and see if the settings are now stable.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Strangely enough, these cvars are already set to archive so they should save on restart without an autoexec.cfg.

I wonder if the networking attribute is causing the save issues...

idCVar pm_bobroll( "pm_bobroll", "0.0015", CVAR_GAME | CVAR_NETWORKSYNC | CVAR_ARCHIVE | CVAR_FLOAT, "" );

If I open the console and invoke:

pm_bobroll 0.0

then exit TDM and restart it

then open the console and invoke:

pm_bobroll

It returns: pm_bobroll 0.0

So it seems to save this setting for me.

@Gadavre where is your darkmod folder located (for example, "Program Files" is a bad location since it is protected by Windows)?

Does your Windows User have full access permissions to it?

nbohr1more

Of course, I thought everything out so that the game went without problems. The game was unpacked to ssd drive C:\ darkmod. I have full permissions .

If you enter a training mission, all these settings will be reset. in the menu, these settings work. and in mission, these settings are reset... this is very strange

Only a competent programmer can help.... I wouldn't want to say goodbye to the universe Thief

Edited by Gadavre

While I also think that Springheel's tone was rather sharp, I would advise you to watch yours as well. That way people will be more willing to help than if you call them incompetent, without knowing them or their programming level.

Another thing you should keep in mind regarding your own experience level: The Dark Mod is a branch of Doom3 that was created before BFG and has made some major changes to the code, so a lot of your experience may not be applicable, because the stuff you are used to may simply have been changed. nbohr1more just gave the solution to the most common mistake that occurs for new users. And even experienced people can forget about some basic things, so I would not attack him for that. Maybe it was not meant as and attack from your side and it is just the way you write, but it sounded quite rough.

@Gadavre, please understand that despite what I think are genuinely good intentions, when someone come into a forum and their first posts are them beating their chests, boasting about their programming experience and shows an adversarial tone towards the project by calling it a beta when it's not and using phrases like "Only a competent programmer can help", do you really think is a good-faith means of eliciting help? You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. I hope you are able to resolve your problems.

Edited by Xolvix
  • Like 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

@stgatilov what do you think about this one? the posters above and I got the same problem. other fileconfig settings works. i could not find any messages about this in console. 

admin, move topic to techsupport. 

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

16 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

I wonder if the networking attribute is causing the save issues...

idCVar pm_bobroll( "pm_bobroll", "0.0015", CVAR_GAME | CVAR_NETWORKSYNC | CVAR_ARCHIVE | CVAR_FLOAT, "" );

Yes, most likely.
If someone wants to have a look, I suggest setting memory breakpoint on the cvar value.

To be honest, I don't see why players should be able to modify these cvars at all, and I guess rare player thinks otherwise 😁

9 hours ago, HMart said:

I said almost the same thing to him Destined, in another thread, what I got in return was imo scorn. To me not a good start in this community.

I saw it just I after I responded here... Well, maybe repetition helps 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stgatilov said:

Yes, most likely.
If someone wants to have a look, I suggest setting memory breakpoint on the cvar value.

To be honest, I don't see why players should be able to modify these cvars at all, and I guess rare player thinks otherwise 😁

I turn the headbob way down in Thief 1/2 System Shock 2, it makes me feel sick.

It's barely noticeable in TDM though.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

pm_bobup 0.0

then open the console in Mission and invoke:

pm_bobup

It returns: pm_bobup 0.03

in Menu the setting is saved

It looks like this setting is not saved in the mission

can this be fixed somehow in the game? I am currently testing version 2.07

maybe, starting from version 2.07, there is a variable that can prevent us from resetting  to the default variable values when loading a mission?

Edited by Gadavre

• Gadavre changed the title to (not solved) Many variables dont work in cfg files

Pretty strange. Source code says it should save your value:

idCVar pm_bobup( "pm_bobup", "0.035", CVAR_GAME | CVAR_NETWORKSYNC | CVAR_ARCHIVE | CVAR_FLOAT, "" );

Where is your darkmod folder?

On a fresh start. open the console and invoke "condump cvar_issue.txt" and post the resulting text file to this thread.

No, this is not his fault, this is genuine engine behaviour - intended or not, I'm not quite sure. But the bob values are getting overwritten hard in code, and you need to dig quite a bit deeper to disable them. I already had to discover that when I tried to disable them for my VR mod... So yeah, these cvars are not working.

50 minutes ago, nbohr1more said:

Pretty strange. Source code says it should save your value:

idCVar pm_bobup( "pm_bobup", "0.035", CVAR_GAME | CVAR_NETWORKSYNC | CVAR_ARCHIVE | CVAR_FLOAT, "" );

Where is your darkmod folder?

On a fresh start. open the console and invoke "condump cvar_issue.txt" and post the resulting text file to this thread.

on D:/darkmod

this file from menu

i can make file from Mission

cvar_issue.txt

Edited by Gadavre

1 hour ago, Gadavre said:

pm_bobup 0.0

then open the console in Mission and invoke:

pm_bobup

It returns: pm_bobup 0.03

in Menu the setting is saved

It looks like this setting is not saved in the mission

can this be fixed somehow in the game? I am currently testing version 2.07

maybe, starting from version 2.07, there is a variable that can prevent us from resetting  to the default variable values when loading a mission?

I can't reproduce this issue. In 2.09 I open the console, type in

seta pm_bobroll 0

then restart the game.

Open console and type

pm_bobroll

and I get back

"pm_bobroll" is:"0" default:"0.0015"

My current TDM location is "K:\Games\tdm_dev"

EDIT: Even if I load a mission and edit the CVAR there, it works.

"pm_bobup" is:"25" default:"0.035"

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I began to seriously study the influence of variables on the game. there is a goal to create a complete  universal autocommand. cfg, which i will need to throw into the game for the initial construction and immediately i can play. this is very convenient. after all, if a player has not played for a long time, it will be difficult for him to set up the game again. after all, over time, a lot is forgotten

however, these head bob variables do not work in the config.... and this link is given at this time incorrect information....

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=FAQ

"Stop Head-bob animations

• Obsolete info. In 2.07 these values are saved when entered in the console.
    You no longer need an autoexec.cfg

Some players get motion sickness or are otherwise uncomfortable with head bob.

Add these values to an autoexec.cfg

seta pm_bobroll "0"
seta pm_bobpitch "0"
seta pm_bobup "0"

to disable head-bob. "

I ask the developers of this wonderful mod to fix it. and also please make a fix for the latest stable version 2.07 for owners of x32 Os.

Edited by Gadavre