The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Hare in the Snare, Part 1

Frost_Salamander

I got a chance to play this the last couple of days, so congrats on the mission. For the most part I enjoyed it and it turned out much bigger than I thought at first but after much searching (going through most area's twice, some more) for all the loot, I have to give up. :( 

Spoiler

I'm one who searches high & low for all the loot and once I know there are secrets I dig a little deeper and found them all. I  have found all but 20 in loot. I had difficulty getting the loot bag between the kegs in the kitchen to highlight and ended up no clipping to reach it.

So after giving up, I used show loot and they are located in a desk in the sleeping girls room (Ingleby house) I did find a stack of coins there originally but only one so the other two, I think have fallen into the desk. They aren't visible and can only be gotten using no clip.

Your story has left me curious and wanting more :) Thanks for all your hard work, looking forward to the 2nd installment.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I re-played this mission between yesterday and today. I had already played it some time ago, but I didn't complete it to the end; this time I finished it with all side objectives completed except for the loot one, 4/5 secrets and about 4500 loot.

I enjoyed this mission very much, and I am really eager to play the sequel(s), which, to my understanding, is being worked on. I want to post here a couple of thoughts that came to my mind while playing it; obviously I know that what follows is my very humble opinion.

I loved so much almost everything, the story, the characters, the design, the readables, the little details and all the rest. But, both time I played this, I didn't like the overly sensitive light gem. From the literal start I've had the impression that I could do nothing to avoid making the guards suspicious, and even later I felt that playing though this without causing suspicion was difficult in an unfair way. As a consequence, I have lowered the AI's hearing and vision sensitivity to the very minimum, and I had never done that before. So I want to ask to the creators: please consider the option of using the normal light gem sensitivity in the (eventual) sequel(s), sequel(s) that I desire very much.

Another thing I felt was that the

Spoiler

hidden switches that opened the secret room and the secret passage in the two main houses

were too small.

Last thought: yes, the loot objective was very high, maybe too high, but it was optional, so I haven't felt that as a problem, I was okay with that.

For the rest, as I've already said I really loved this mission, and I really want to know how the story continues.

P.S. As I've already said in another thread, I am new to this forum, but not new to The Dark Mod, I usually play on the highest difficulty, sometimes even ghosting the missions. Sure, I'm not and I'll never be the best TDM player out there, but probably I don't completely suck either.

Anyway, excellent work! :)

Edited by Dave the Taffer

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 4:48 AM, Dave the Taffer said:

I loved so much almost everything, the story, the characters, the design, the readables, the little details and all the rest. But, both time I played this, I didn't like the overly sensitive light gem. From the literal start I've had the impression that I could do nothing to avoid making the guards suspicious, and even later I felt that playing though this without causing suspicion was difficult in an unfair way. As a consequence, I have lowered the AI's hearing and vision sensitivity to the very minimum, and I had never done that before. So I want to ask to the creators: please consider the option of using the normal light gem sensitivity in the (eventual) sequel(s), sequel(s) that I desire very much.

You probably didn't notice it, but in the initial post of this thread there's a bit about how the 'Hard' and 'Expert' difficulty levels have the light gem sensitivity bumped up a notch higher than normal. You said you usually play on the higher difficulty (as do I), so that's what happened. It was a bit annoying at times but it just meant I wasn't reluctant to knock out as many enemies as I could.

Anyway, as for the mission itself it was pretty good, kept the mystery of what was going on for a long time and I do like a heavy dose of intrigue and mystery in missions. The only thing I needed help with was to work out how to deal with the Daltons (I had picked up a particular bottle that was clearly related but didn't know what to do until I checked this thread). Got 4555 loot which I thought was pretty good for me, and 4 out of 5 secrets. The last one I got was purely by chance - I was trying to frob a painting in case it was loot and accidentally hit a button. :)

Now all we need is part 2...

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool mission! I loved the mystery and getting to the bottom of it. I also liked how geographically small, but interconnected and intricate, the map was.

I didn't complete any of the optional objectives and only found 1 secret so there will be lots more for me to discover on my next playthrough.

Pros:

* Tight patrol routes that reward careful observation and advance planning

* Excellent story and readables. They really made the mission come alive

* Clever and convincing loot placement

Cons:

* Not a fan of the artificially bright light gem. I know it's just a matter of personal taste, but I prefer harder difficulties to increase the challenge by posing harder problems, making the guards more alert and numerous, not reducing the PC's capabilities.

* Quite a bit more Z fighting than I'd expect for a level that's otherwise so nicely polished.

Solid 7/10 for me.

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
4 hours ago, CountMorillonite said:

I'm confused with this Dalton objective. I've got the ingredient and I know where the bowl is.

Reveal hidden contents

The bowl highlights but I can't place the poison in my inventory into the bowl.

What needs to be done here?

@CountMorillonite:

Spoiler

You need to 'use' the poison on the stew.  While the poison is selected in your inventory, frob highlight the stew and press whatever key you have bound to 'use' (for me it's Enter).

omg....

Spoiler

I'm so used to selecting the inventory item and dropping it, in this case, into the bowl. I was hard wired to believe that was the procedure. When I couldn't select the poison, I thought I was missing something. Yet the bowl highlighted.

So I was using my "Drop inv item" key, instead of my "Use inv item key".

What a stupid mistake on my part.

Thanks for the help.

Great mission, a lot bigger than I initially thought. I also forgot to investigate a number of rooms (which I explored only after reading this thread), although I found 2 or 3 secrets.

Spoiler

But de Gallowsgate Bridge hint in the Moor's room (which I only found after reading this thread) and the phrase 'Why am I not surprised...' leaves me questioning. How should I know what is special about Gallowsgate Bridge? Did I miss something in the intro or in a readable?

I also found a glitch. The bay window of T's manor on street level is placed a little bit too far from the wall. One can peek beside the window frame and see just a continuous wall. And some items fell through a shelf somewhere, once picked up and dropped down. But I can't recall where it was.

• 9 months later...

Okay, just finished this mission for the first time since the final release came out, so it took me a while to find all the secrets and complete the optional objectives. Could this mission perhaps do with some in-game subtitles, though?

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

6 hours ago, Cambridge Spy said:

Okay, just finished this mission for the first time since the final release came out, so it took me a while to find all the secrets and complete the optional objectives. Could this mission perhaps do with some in-game subtitles, though?

Do you mean for the player voice lines?  If I understand this correctly, I think that's the only thing I would have control over as the author.  

On 6/19/2023 at 8:32 PM, Frost_Salamander said:

Do you mean for the player voice lines?  If I understand this correctly, I think that's the only thing I would have control over as the author.  

I tried making subtitles for the intro video, but couldn't get it working by default.

Edited by datiswous

1 hour ago, datiswous said:

I tried making subtitles for the intro video, but there is a technical issue related to how the intro is played (non standard), so that it doesn't work naturally.

So this means I have to implement the subtitles myself during video editing. Okay.

I don't know if the issue is in the whole game, or that it's only affecting the intro video.

Edit: I got the subtitles to show up using a seperate audio file for the mission intro (extracted from the video). Currently it uses the audio from the video file (fromVideo) and then the subtitles don't show up..

Edited by datiswous

Here are the just-made subtitle files. All needed files included in this post as downloads.

The first subtitle shows up directly after mission start, so the rest should work as well.

I don't know if the debriefing works, but I have to finish the mission to be able to see if it shows. Would be nice if there's a cheet for that.

I didn't check the subtitles fully for errors, or misaligning, but they seem good for the most part (needs a bit of editing). Ignore my earlier uploaded srt.

Edit:

I figured out why the subtitles for the intro video didn't work. Some info in the wiki is explained incorrectly. I reuploaded a correct fm_root.subs . Now the subtitles show up in the intro video.

fm_root.subs

debrief_audio.srt Voice_009.srt

hits_intro.srt

Edited by datiswous
updated files
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, datiswous said:

Anyway, I should go over the subtitle files and correctly outline and fix them. There aren't that much, so it shouldn't take much time. I think only the intro needs editing. @Cambridge SpyWhen do you want to do the recording?

Whenever I feel like it. I'm going to take a break once I upload my remastered House of Locked Secrets Part 2 video.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just finished this.

Spoiler

Very nice mission. I really liked the atmosphere and story. Difficulty was good, readables and storytelling were good. Like others, I also had my issues with the darkmeter which never really was pitch black on the highest difficulty. Especially getting the loot from the Daltons was quite tricky. Although I doused all lights in the room, I alerted them both to the point where they stood up and started looking for me.

Graphics and architecture were great, nothing to criticize about that. 

My biggest gripe in this mission (like in your other missions) was the loot objective on hard/expert. As far as I could see, there's only 5.081 gold in the mission in total, and the loot objective was 5.000, so, that's way too high. 4.000 would have been plenty (I barely made that, and I looked pretty thoroughly). Some loot was also very well hidden, like the gold bag in the back room of the tavern. I would have missed that without the use ot tdm_show_loot.

So, yeah, all in all great mission, and, I hope you do the sequel one day.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another marvelous FM, I enjoyed every bit of it! Very pleasant city design to explore around, intriguing and interactive story, everything else one would expect. Eager for part two and what else you plan on making :)

Spoiler

The secret passage definitely required spoilers to find, those buttons were a bit too small. Only secrets I got were it with the hanging man and the bird man which I both found easily. Also liked the irony of him being called lord Twistleton... he is one twisted individual alongside those he's involved with :D

• Like 1