The Dark Mod Forums

Linux testers needed: new window management and input handling

cabalistic

It seems that dragging lower-bottom corner of TDM window changes resolution.

But unlike Windows version, it is very hard to get control of mouse cursor to actually do it. I only managed to drag corner when FM is loading, since at that moment the game is not responding and its mouse-locking feature does not have effect. After loading is over, the resolution indeed changes.

As far as testing goes: I haven't tried compiling the engine from SVN for a while though I remember it worked relatively recently. Any thoughts on when the first TDM 2.10 beta is going to be released? I figure that's likely months away though so I may try the latest master engine if I can.

I linked 2 test builds for this change specifically (see 1st page). Additionally, stgatilov more or less regularly publishes dev builds, although the latest one does not yet include this. 2.10 beta won't start before the winter, most likely.

32 minutes ago, MirceaKitsune said:

As far as testing goes: I haven't tried compiling the engine from SVN for a while though I remember it worked relatively recently. Any thoughts on when the first TDM 2.10 beta is going to be released? I figure that's likely months away though so I may try the latest master engine if I can.

You can use the Dev version for assets:

Then download the latest source:

https://www.thedarkmod.com/downloads/

https://svn.thedarkmod.com/publicsvn/darkmod_src/trunk

And follow the compile guide:

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=The_Dark_Mod_-_Compilation_Guide

Make sure to copy the glprogs folder from the source to your darkmod directory.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

42 minutes ago, nbohr1more said:

Make sure to copy the glprogs folder from the source to your darkmod directory.

That happens automatically during build, assuming that the game folder sits at ../darkmod (relative to the source), or you've configured the correct path in cmake.

@cabalistic Testing on my dual boot Macbook (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS), default window manager etc.

Runs a hell of a lot smoother than the previous install, correctly picked up my aspect ratio and resolution without needing adjustment and didn't fail to launch into fullscreen if set to over 1280x720 like the current 2.09 version for Linux on the DM downloads page does.

Input wise, very smooth, same issue I have on other laptops (and other OS types) that the game doesn't like you trying to move with WASD and use the trackpad at the same time but plugging in a mouse solves that. Had to tweak the mouse sensitivity to practically zero (previous standard release version saw it having to be cranked up). Tabs out just fine, doesn't do anything odd when tabbing back in, no stutters or resolution oddities (doesn't occasionaly shunt the entire window to the right as if trying to display the activities bar like 2.09 sometimes does for example).

Congrats, with Dark Mod running smoothly on my Linux partition I now have even less reason to boot up the WIN10 laptop or even to switch over to OSX on this machine xD

Edited by Lzocast

28 minutes ago, Lzocast said:

same issue I have on other laptops (and other OS types) that the game doesn't like you trying to move with WASD and use the trackpad at the same time

That's usually an OS or even hardware feature - the trackpad gets temporarily disabled when you press a key so that you don't accidentally interact with the mouse when typing. Can probably be disabled, but is probably not what you'd want to do for regular usage :D

20 minutes ago, cabalistic said:

That's usually an OS or even hardware feature - the trackpad gets temporarily disabled when you press a key so that you don't accidentally interact with the mouse when typing. Can probably be disabled, but is probably not what you'd want to do for regular usage :D

Hmm, never even considered that. Something worth looking in to even if just to see if it's there. For actual gameplay I'll keep using the mouse, less hand cramp that way haha.

On 4/22/2021 at 5:32 PM, cabalistic said:

Here's a new test executable that should hopefully fix the mouse wheel direction: https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjobs/xld2bd9hrvpe9f4h/artifacts/build%2Fthedarkmod.tar.bz2

That did indeed fix the issue for me. 🙂

Question: could this fix potentially have gameplay effects on missions? For example that they break? It's just that I have been beta testing a mission (since I installed this fix) where I already jumped out of the map 2 times, but other testers don't seem to have this issue.. (at least they didn't mention)

Edited by datiswous

3 hours ago, datiswous said:

Question: could this fix potentially have gameplay effects on missions? For example that they break? It's just that I have been beta testing a mission (since I installed this fix) where I already jumped out of the map 2 times, but other testers don't seem to have this issue.. (at least they didn't mention)

The build is created off the current development trunk, so it incorporates all the changes done during 2-3 months since 2.09 release.
In fact, it is closer to the last development build than to 2.09 release.

Of course, development builds are much less tested and include new features, so you might have various new problems on them.
We would be happy if you test dev builds and report any new issues/bugs you see, but it is strongly advised to have a clean 2.09 version nearby (and probably use it most of the time for ordinary playing).

By the way, savegames are most likely incompatible between 2.09 and dev build.

• 2 weeks later...

I am on Debian Testing (which will soon become stable). Please consider Debian STABLE (and testing) as a "has to work on" target as many distros are based off that. If it work on the mother distro chances are it will work on the others as well.

Using Debian (everything stock from the Debian repos) with nvidia driver and xfce 4.16. Dual monitor setup 1920x1200 + 1600x1200 (to the right) (and a defective screen detected to the left of the widescreen one - also 1600x1200 but it is disabled).

Everything seems to work perfect, but running in Windowed mode I was able to move the mouse OUT of the window without needing to alt-tab. Managed this only if I moved the mouse very quick/fast in the menu , slower moving does not appear to loose the grabbed mouse.

Tried on another machine as well. An older 16 CPU with a Matrix Matrox MGA G200e, but decide to try on xfce ran on top of TigerVNCServer. hoping to be able to play remotely via VNC (sound already forwarded over the network via pulseaudio). This was broken on the original, but seems to be even more broken now. I can't see or move the mousepointer. Before this patch I was able to move the mousepointer around somewhat (hyper sensitive , seemed to move logarithmic), but now it I can't either move or even see the mousepointer.

23 minutes ago, MirceaKitsune said:

Does the latest dev build available in the installer include this now? Or will the next one have it at least? Haven't fully understood if it's still experimental or made it in master.

Yes, this was merged into the latest Dev Build

47 minutes ago, MirceaKitsune said:

Does the latest dev build available in the installer include this now? Or will the next one have it at least? Haven't fully understood if it's still experimental or made it in master.

From changelog:

dev16238-9330
* Frob highlight replaced with frob outline (5427) --- not finished yet.
* Linux platform-specific code now uses GLFW for window, GL-init and input handling (5510, 5293, testing).
* Windows build can change desktop resolution once again; also made "borderless" mode default (5510).

6 minutes ago, Araneidae said:

Can't straightaway say I'm a huge fan of the new bright outline around frobbable objects instead of the older highlight mechanism which seems a little more subtle; can I switch between how frobbability is shown?

r_frobOutline 0

will disable the outline

r_newFrob 0

will return the texture based brightening

r_frobColorR/G/B/A - sets the color to use for the outline. Values are integral and go from 0 to 255, although you can technically overbrighten them. The alpha value can be used to make the outline more transparent and thus fainter.

r_frobOutlineWidth - determines the width of the outline. Note that this variable has a different effect depending on the selected mode, so you'll have to retweak the value when you switch modes.

2 hours ago, Araneidae said:

Can't straightaway say I'm a huge fan of the new bright outline around frobbable objects instead of the older highlight mechanism which seems a little more subtle; can I switch between how frobbability is shown?

Big fan of the idea here, can't wait to try it out in the latest build 😄 It's good that there are cvars to tweak those effects though, some users may not like the new changes; I'd put the customized cvars mentioned above in autoexec.cfg to not lose them... that's what I did with the color correction cvars to make my own environment config.

Edited by MirceaKitsune

I was using this testbuild for a while. It works much better than 2.09 in linux imho. I thought to update the rest of TDM (which is based on 2.09) to 2.09a, so I reverted the executable to 2.09, updated to 2.09a and then overwritten the updated executable.

But then in TDM I constantly see a desktop mouse cursor in view aside from the normal cursor.

I reverted back to the previous version, but I just wanted to mention this happens.

I'm still curious about a little detail if anyone happens to know the answer: Does the new window management and input system support Wayland natively... by which I mean using the pipeline without having to go through X11? I'm re-asking because I hear KDE Plasma 5.22 (coming next month) should fix all the final issues I was personally running into and kept me on X11, thus a switch may be on the table again.