The Dark Mod Forums

No servers to download training mission

Erzé

Hi everyone,

I would like to try this fantastic game and I would like to start with training mission but neither Thedarkmod.com missions links are available and no missions server into the game.

imagen.png.17b61e7ea5cc558813c24c25c86ee506.png

QtF0QCnl.png

Could you create some links to download that mission or explain me a solution to fix the conexion with missions server into the game? I am running on Arch Linux.

Thanks in advance.

That's the problem of the AUR package then.
The proper install of TDM should include Training Mission, New Job, and Saint Lucia FMs.

If you want to install the game via official way, you should follow the instructions from the website. Just be sure to select appropriate installation directory, the one where you have full write permissions without going root.

I agree with the people above (for the installation method).

But according the packagebuild from that repo ("thedarkmod-bin" by diabonas),
the standard missions are included. So Erze should got the missions files already.  
(packagebuild from thedarkmod-bin - https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=thedarkmod-bin)
(repo "thedarkmod-bin" - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/thedarkmod-bin/)

From my own experience, i have seen that that empty mission list and error,
when the user doesn't have any write-permissions in the TDM folder.
(and i know that most of the linux package installer scripts for TDM, doesnt give them to the user)

Check if there are any mission folders and files in the fms folder in TDM folder "/opt/thedarkmod/fms" (?).
If so,

• Add yourself to the user-group "games". (because according the packagebuild, that user-group has write-permissions to that folder)
  • Or give everybody write permissions to "/opt/thedarkmod", and his subfolders/files.
  • Or move the tdm-folder to your home-folder.

If not,
follow the official linux method. Set the write permissions of the existing tdm folder, download  the tdm-updater to the existing tdm folder and run the updater
(for more info, see installation methods on linux, on the TDM Wiki.)

There is also another repo "thedarkmod" - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/thedarkmod/
-edit- but that script also does not give permissions to the user. Only to group root and games.

(admin, please move topic to tech support)

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

It funny to see in these packagebuilds, a reference to our discussed permission problem at the bugtracker 😅
===
# Users must be able to create files in the game directory to save games,
# install new missions etc, cf. https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=3567
chown root:games "$pkgdir"/opt/thedarkmod/{,fms,fms/newjob,fms/stlucia,fms/training_mission}
chmod g+w "$pkgdir"/opt/thedarkmod/{,fms,fms/newjob,fms/stlucia,fms/training_mission}
===

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

6 hours ago, freyk said:

Check if there are any mission folders and files in the fms folder in TDM folder "/opt/thedarkmod/fms"

Checked, these missions are in fms folder, so now I have to change directory permissions for that folder.

3 hours ago, freyk said:

chown root:games "$pkgdir"/opt/thedarkmod/{,fms,fms/newjob,fms/stlucia,fms/training_mission}
chmod g+w "$pkgdir"/opt/thedarkmod/{,fms,fms/newjob,fms/stlucia,fms/training_mission}

Are these commands that I need to run? Sorry for this stupid question but I am basic user Linux yet.

Thanks you all for your answers, but at the moment I will try to fix it changing folders permissions.

Btw. If you have an installation where your system folders are separated from your home folder and maybe also other game folders like Steam and Gog, remember that all the future missions of TDM are now still installed in your system storage instead of your specified home/games storage.

• Like 1

If you are a beginner Linux user and asking us to give you commands, why do you use Arch-Linux, Erze? (To me, its not a distro for a beginner)

If you follow the wiki and combine that with the info from the pkgbuild, execute the following commands in a terminal:

sudo chown -R nobody:users /opt/thedarkmod
sudo chmod uga+w /opt/thedarkmod
Edited by freyk
  • Haha 1

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

48 minutes ago, freyk said:

If you are a beginner Linux user and asking us to give you commands, why do you use Arch-Linux, Erze? (To me, its not a distro for a beginner)

Because I have not using Arch Linux, but an Arch Linux based distro (Manjaron).

49 minutes ago, freyk said:

sudo chown -R nobody:users /opt/thedarkmod

sudo chmod uga+w /opt/thedarkmod

Thanks, now I understand those commands. The other commands had got really rare syntax for me.

Ok, now the connection with missions servers work fine and I can start downloaded missions correctly. However I have got new issue. I try to explaining here but say me if I must to open a new thread.

Now when I go to missions section, it apparently is not show anything but... check it for your own: ScIIwW5l.png

There are three "invisible" missions preinstaled that are "Training mission", "newjob" and "stlucia". For some reasons I can't see names from the list but I can select them, download them and play them. What could be the reason?

• 3 weeks later...