The Dark Mod Forums

Crash on startup

V-Man339

Did a fresh install (deleted old files) of the new development build (dev16225-9284), worked like a charm up until I set my graphics to the following (https://imgur.com/a/ChxBGm2), downloaded almost 100 missions and restarted.

The game now crashes before it can reach main menu.

Hoping there's a log somewhere I can post to help.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

Looking at wiki page,  you can:

1. Provide darkmod.cfg (that's similar to menu screenshots, but more precise).
  2. Provide condump using logFile cvar.
  3. Record crashdump and share it.

(I would say 16x antialiasing is too much)

Also, you can:

1. Delete darkmod.cfg and start tweaking settings from scratch, but this time restart after every change (note: keybindings won't get erased).

12 hours ago, stgatilov said:

1. Provide condump using logFile cvar.
  2. Record crashdump and share it.

I have no idea how to go about that. Is there a tutorial somewhere?

12 hours ago, stgatilov said:
  1. Delete darkmod.cfg and start tweaking settings from scratch, but this time restart after every change (note: keybindings won't get erased).

Surprisingly this did not work.

Darkmod.cfg

Edited by V-Man339

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

36 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

The cfg file which you attached still has 16x antialiasing.
I assume you attached it before deleting?

I deleted the CFG file altogether.

To generate a condump using a cvar and the command-line interface,
i wrote a tutorial about that on the wiki, some years ago.
Article: https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Debugging_TDM_systemerrors
(We should combine  that info with the wiki article stgatilov pointed to earlier.)

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

2 hours ago, stgatilov said:

Look at the darkmod.cfg that you have now in your TDM root directory.
What is the value of r_multiSamples in it? 

tdm.png.d6497efd136e43b146ecfc3e2fa53d05.png

There is no CFG file generated by the time of crash.

I believe this is the closest to a crash log I can manage.

The screen goes grey as though the game will start up before going back to desktop.

Darkmod.logDarkMod.temp.log

7 minutes ago, cabalistic said:

What happens if you delete the currentfm.txt? Perhaps the dev version conflicts with the currently selected mission. (Just in case it does, it would be helpful to save its current value before deleting it...)

The game has started.

It would appear that using the "select mission" key breaks the startup on "A House of Locked Secrets", currently testing with other missions.

Update: Rake-Off worked. Locked Secrets still does not. Unsure what is causing this.

Edited by V-Man339

Just want to mention, that the file extension of your config file is hidden in your filebrowser, at the screenshot.
(You can change this in the filebrowser settings)

I see your config file in the screenshot. Its named "darkmod", type: "configuration set.." icon: page with gear.
Correction: Nevermind this post.🙄 its it the ini file extension that is hidden. (And several other file extensions)

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

20210504135904_1.thumb.jpg.c9469221a5cbc90ea05022dcbe18059f.jpg

I suspected it may be name length that did it but it seems not, Shadows of Northdale is fully functional.

I want to know what is written in the qconsole.log, when you load the mission  "A House of Locked Secrets" directly.
This by generating a new darkmod.cfg, change the log setting in darkmod.cfg, change the name of current mission in currentmission.txt
start the mission from commandline, automaticly quit and look for qconsole.log inside fms folder "ahouseoflockedsecrets".

1. Generate a new darkmod.cfg, by renaming darkmod.cfg (to something else) and start and quit darkmod.
  2. open darkmod.cfg, look for value for setting "seta logFile", change the value "0" to "2"
  3. Change the content of currentfm.txt to "ahouseoflockedsecrets"
  4. hit windowskey+r to open the execute window. input "cmd" and run.
  5. This wil open the black command prompt window
    If the game is located at c:\games\darkmod, enter the following line and hit the enter-key: cd games\darkmod
  6. Then run the following command by entering the following line and hit the enter-key: .\TheDarkModx64.exe +map monastery.map +quit
    This will automatically start TDM, load the mission and quits.
  7. See if there is a qconsole.log inside folder fms\ahouseoflockedsecrets
  8. end.
Edited by freyk
  • Thanks 1

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

13 minutes ago, freyk said:

I want to know what is written in the qconsole.log, when you load the mission  "A House of Locked Secrets" directly.
This by generating a new darkmod.cfg, change the log setting in darkmod.cfg, change the name of current mission in currentmission.txt
start the mission from commandline, automaticly quit and look for qconsole.log inside fms folder.

1. Generate a new darkmod.cfg, by renaming darkmod.cfg (to something else) and start and quit darkmod.
  2. open darkmod.cfg, look for value for setting "seta logFile", change the value "0" to "2"
  3. Change the content of currentfm.txt to "ahouseoflockedsecrets"
  4. hit windowskey+r to open the execute window. input "cmd" and run.
  5. This wil open the black command prompt window
    If the game is located at c:\games\darkmod, enter the following line and hit the enter-key: cd games\darkmod
  6. Then run the following command by entering the following line and hit the enter-key: .\TheDarkModx64.exe +map monastery.map +quit
  7. See if there is a qconsole.log inside folder fms\ahouseoflockedsecrets
  8. end.

Thank you for idiot proofing this for me, genuinely.

Here is the qconsole.log file.qconsole.log

Thanks.
I looked into your consolelog, but i dont know where the errors are in these logs.
(if others know, please let us know)

So I compared your qconsole log file with my consolelog for this mission
and see that your console log stops in section "Initializing Session", before line "session initialized". (without any errors,.. i think)
Other things:
"...getting default gamma ramp: failed", in my log it results in "success"

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Yes, V-man, check if you got any application crashdumps in your crashdump application folder (if not record them), what stgatilov said.
Read the articles he mentioned.

Or follow this tutorial, to search for tdm's crashdumps.

1. Open your file explorer, put the following line inside the location inputfield and hit the enter-key: %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps
    or go to c-drive > Users > your username > AppData > Local >CrashDumps.
    (if you dont see the folders, unhide hidden files, using the file explorer settings)
  2. Then take a look inside that folder to check if there are any crashdumps files,
    named like, for example, "TheDarkModx64.exe.000.dmp" (000 is different numer)
  3. If so, stgatilov (and others) wants the most recent one. file-compress the file and upload it somewhere
    (more info see section: compress and dump)
  4. end

If there are no crashdumps files in there, just check if you can generate one. And them remove it, because thats not the exact  file we need)
To test if you can write a crashdump in there, start tdm and crash it automaticly, using commandline: .\TheDarkModx64.exe +crash
using steps 1 to 5 of my earlier post. After this check the crashdump  folder. And remove the generated dump file.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

2 hours ago, freyk said:

Yes, V-man, check if you got any application crashdumps in your crashdump application folder (if not record them), what stgatilov said.

Unless @V-Man339 has explicitly recorded a crash dump from Windows process manager, he definitely won't find it anywhere.
Full crash dump usually takes hundreds of megabytes. No sane MS developer would enable them for silent recording.

We will see if he can find any crash dumps in that folder :),
on my (and other) system(s) you can find the TDM ones there.

In my experiences, most applications dont create them, but i have seen that some do.
TDM creates them too, apparently.

But i dont know if there are any differences inside the recorded / generated dumps.
Because I never analysed them.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

I'm working 50+ hours a week but this is higher in my backlog than just about anything else. Will keep you all posted.

tdmcrash.thumb.png.b9dc793197345e69622b23a84fe8c4f3.png

I've looked in the folder: Empty.

This may be a Windows 10 differential, I'm not finding

On 5/5/2021 at 3:02 AM, freyk said:

c-drive > Users > your username > AppData > Local >CrashDumps.

Then the application dumps ("windows User-Mode Dumps") system is not enabled on your system.
Please enable it by adding some data to your window registry. (microsoft article), crash TDM and check for a dump file.

We have seen that during a crash of TDM, TDM quits automatically. So a dumpfile cannot be recorded.
So we need those windows User-Mode Dumps.

In short:

1. window start > search for "regedit" and run the app. (or start file explorer > navigate to tdm folder, then in de menu file > open powershell, in de blue window, fill in: regedit and hit the enter-key.
  2. On the navigation secion (left side), select Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Error Reporting
  3. Rightclick on that folder > new > key. Call it "LocalDumps"
  4. in the localdumps folder, rightclick in a empty space, new >  string. name "DumpFolder", and value "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps"
  5. in the localdumps folder, rightclick in a empty space, new >  dword32. name "DumpCount", and value "10" (decimal)
  6. in the localdumps folder, rightclick in a empty space, new >  dword32. name "DumpType", and value "2" (decimal) (or value "1")
  7. in the localdumps folder, rightclick in a empty space, new >  dword32. name "CustomDumpFlags", and value "0"
  8. close application and restart windows.
  9. If you are going to test TDM, crash TDM (following my earlier post) and hopefully you find a dump in %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps.
  10. If so, deactivate the windows error reporting service. using step 9.

Demo videos: vid1

screenshots: meziantou.net

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

On 5/4/2021 at 3:15 PM, freyk said:
  1. This wil open the black command prompt window
  2. Then run the following command by entering the following line and hit the enter-key: .\TheDarkModx64.exe +map monastery.map +quit

I've made the register edits and even rigged TDM into the drive where this might work more easily but it doesn't seem to be working.

I'm 90% sure I'm missing something obvious.

help.thumb.png.66a8c825b1116e3306a768da0a01988a.png