The Dark Mod Forums

Hidden Hands: The Anomaly

JackFarmer

4 hours ago, datiswous said:

Did you borrow part of the cave section from (Two) WIP Caves mission from Johannes Burock? I saw you adopted that unfinished mission and it's demo video looks a bit similar to a certain part in your mission.

Yes, see OP and the readme.txt file within the pk4 file.

• 3 months later...

I really liked this mission. We all have our preferences...i really get annoyed by missions that require excessive climbing/jumping puzzles as I feel the game just does not handle that well. This one was well balanced, interesting, and thought out. Did not crush under the weight of itself as some missions do. Highly recommended.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a chance to finish this up yesterday. All in all, I enjoyed this mission, thanks for all your hard work. :) 

Spoiler

I must admit that I was feeling a little lost when I started out but enjoyed exploring especially when I found there were secrets (which I ended up finding all of). I did have to come here a few times - 1) I had the crash in the decontamination chamber 2) the keyhole for the cooler. - I need to remember to look up once in a while lol 3) at the end, I had all the runes but couldn't get them to highlight - turns out I missed the note on top which seemed to trigger further objectives.  And I must say, thank you very much for the fire arrows, they came in handy in a few spots. 

Look forward to more from you. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm attempting to play this mission having played through the previous ones (and thoroughly enjoying them). I've hit a very strange bug. When trying to jump down the hatch at the beginning, the game plays a very loud sine wave that does not go away. I'm running TDM 2.09.

Here are some save games: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsktckoxzrm1hp0/savegames.zip?dl=0

- Blake Casimir -

Melodic Cosmic Space Techno

http://www.blakecasimir.co.uk

17 minutes ago, chischis said:

I'm attempting to play this mission having played through the previous ones (and thoroughly enjoying them). I've hit a very strange bug. When trying to jump down the hatch at the beginning, the game plays a very loud sine wave that does not go away. I'm running TDM 2.09.

Here are some save games: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsktckoxzrm1hp0/savegames.zip?dl=0

Sorry for the problems. :(

Can you put these savegames on wetransfer? I do not have a google account.

Edit: Strike that. Download works without login

Edited by JackFarmer

@chischis

It just occurred to me, that I have already deleted my 2.09 setup as 2.10 is close to release.

Would you mind updating to the latest 2.10 beta? I then would provide you with a DL for the latest version of the mission dmapped with the latest 2.10 beta (and with a few additonal bug fixes).

1 hour ago, JackFarmer said:

@chischis

It just occurred to me, that I have already deleted my 2.09 setup as 2.10 is close to release.

Would you mind updating to the latest 2.10 beta? I then would provide you with a DL for the latest version of the mission dmapped with the latest 2.10 beta (and with a few additonal bug fixes).

Thanks for replying, Jack! I've updated to beta 2.10-08, tried again, and do not get the overpowering sine wave repeating. So it already seems to fix the issue?

A small point btw: I think it's a design... frustration to make the player wait for the recording to finish before the hatch opens, IMHO it should open and the recording should play at the same time. Let the player decide if they want to stay and listen (e.g. first time players).

- Blake Casimir -

3 hours ago, chischis said:

Thanks for replying, Jack! I've updated to beta 2.10-08, tried again, and do not get the overpowering sine wave repeating. So it already seems to fix the issue?

Not necessarily, it is much more likely that something in your previous 2.09 installation did not (or no longer) work properly or was faulty. In addition, there was no one but you who reported this problem with 2.09 until now.

3 hours ago, chischis said:

A small point btw: I think it's a design... frustration to make the player wait for the recording to finish before the hatch opens, IMHO it should open and the recording should play at the same time. Let the player decide if they want to stay and listen (e.g. first time players).

Spoiler

The reason for this is that if the player then proceeds way too fast, there could otherwise be an overlap with other scripted audio events. This had to be avoided at all costs and this is the best solution I could think of.

The very last audio recorder alone works just like the very first, but only to create excitement.

41 minutes ago, JackFarmer said:

Not necessarily, it is much more likely that something in your previous 2.09 installation did not (or no longer) work properly or was faulty. In addition, there was no one but you who reported this problem with 2.09 until now.

Reveal hidden contents

The reason for this is that if the player then proceeds way too fast, there could otherwise be an overlap with other scripted audio events. This had to be avoided at all costs and this is the best solution I could think of.

The very last audio recorder alone works just like the very first, but only to create excitement.

Ok fair enough! 👍

• Thanks 1

- Blake Casimir -

1 hour ago, JackFarmer said:

Reveal hidden contents

Jack, I might have to try your beta version. I've encountered a letter and key in one of the cubby holes of a machine room that I cannot frob, they don't light up at all. Noclipping close makes no difference.

- Blake Casimir -

3 minutes ago, chischis said:

Jack, I might have to try your beta version. I've encountered a letter and key in one of the cubby holes of a machine room that I cannot frob, they don't light up at all. Noclipping close makes no difference.

can you pm me a screenshot?

On 2/27/2022 at 7:01 PM, JackFarmer said:

@nbohr1more

It is a frob-blocker problem (linked doors do not deactivate the blocker when frobbed the wrong way) , not a 2.10 issue.

Okay simply closing and opening the door fixed this!

I've finished this mission now, and all the other Hidden Hands missions. Incredible work, Jack, each mission was very different yet super compelling. I look forward to further work from you.

• Thanks 1

- Blake Casimir -

• 9 months later...
12 hours ago, Azaran said:

Hmmm

Reveal hidden contents

Apparently there's one here, but I couldn't find anything

hhta-2022-12-17-14-58-29.png

Spoiler

You do not have to go back to the starting area. No backtracking like that needed. What you have identified as a hearbeat is a machine sound.

Search for a room with two water pools. This room has two doors enabling you access to areas where you will have more luck finding what you need.

7 hours ago, JackFarmer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

You do not have to go back to the starting area. No backtracking like that needed. What you have identified as a hearbeat is a machine sound.

Search for a room with two water pools. This room has two doors enabling you access to areas where you will have more luck finding what you need.

Got it, thanks!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 1:19 AM, bobber1 said:

Ok,  just starting this amazing mission and am only disappointed that it appears to be the last in the series.  I hope another chapter will be forthcoming.

Honestly,  how to you get John Cleese to do the recorder voice? :)  

Seriously though, It sure sounds like him.

There will be a final chapter. Since it is a massive project, I am afraid it will not be released before 2024. Also have an attack of mapping allergy right now. If you haven't played it yet, you can try "The Black Mage". It's not part of my series, but it plays very similar as I have co-authored it.

The voice actor is long time DM voice talent contributor AndrosTheOxen.  I have to agree with you, there are definitely similarities to John Cleese. Of course, I also asked the latter, but he didn't have time again. He won't get any more cake for Christmas!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1