The Dark Mod Forums

We have lost a member of the TDM development team

Springheel

Having not known Grayman, all I can say is that I hope he spent his lasts moments surrounded by his loved ones. This is a sad news indeed.

Maybe adding something special about him in the next update of TDM could be a good thing: in the credits, a text detailing how much TDM owes him as a developer, what he achieved, who he was, something like that... or maybe also adding something about him in the credits of his series of missions for TDM.

May he rest in peace, and may his family and loved ones have the strength to bear his absence. :(

• Like 3

Rest in peace Grayman.

Thank you for everything you have done for this mod. You will be greatly missed!

• Like 2

This is a sad day for our community. He was a great inspiration for me and he'll definitely be missed.

I got to work with him a little when I was helping out with some parts of the code. I really valued our discussions, and I actually learned a lot about coding from him. I think I learned even more about design from him. He was one of those rare kinds of people that has a lot of technical know-how but is also really creative & has a great artistic and design sensibility and knows how to tell a good story.

I was somehow thinking he would be able to rejoin us soon, but now I just think that we were very fortunate to have had him as part of our community for as long as we did. Thank you for everything & clear skies, grayman.

• Like 2

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

RIP grayman. His FM's were very professional. Sad that he didn't manage to finish the William Steele series. But what he did was monumental. He could've lived longer. No words of condolences shall replace him.

Lots of people seem to pass away lately. In 2020 I lost my grandfather who died from chronic heart and cardiovascular issues. This year I lost my father due to losing the fight against Covid-19. It resulted in thrombosis and death.

Moving on is the hardest part for friends and family. After the initial shock, you kind of get used to it. But, I guess we fully realize the depth of the tragedy in the aftermath along the way.

Pardon for the lack of timing but maybe there should be a note regarding grayman's death on this page: https://www.thedarkmod.com/team/

Edited by Anderson
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Yeah, this sucks. Must not have been more than a few hours before this was posted, that I was wondering how he was doing, since he'd been inactive for a bit. I never had any interactions with him during my short tenure here, and only knew of his condition by a chance, but by all accounts his impact on the mod was significant.

Condolences to his family and loved ones, and thanks for the fun times I had playing his missions.

Farewell, Grayman! You were a man of honor and reason. You saw this day coming long ago, but reading this sad news, it still feels kind of sudden to me.

My sincere condolences to his loved ones.

RIP

What horrible news. RIP grayman.

I shall include a small tribute in my next mission.

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Sad to hear, wishing his family and friends all the best. The William Steele series was definitely one of my favourites in all of Dark Mod's offerings and the next two missions had genuinely been some of my most anticipated releases across any game. I'm grateful for all the amazing work he had put in.

Very sad news indeed :(

I still remember vividly how, last year, in the midst of the pandemic and lockdowns, I played his William Steele series (the released 5 missions) in a couple of weeks, and had a blast with it, even playing some missions more than once.

Rest in peace, grayman. And thanks for everything you've done.

• Like 1

The Dark Mod Database: https://tdmdb.com

Maybe we have a vote and try to decide democratically? Unless he expressed his wishes at some point somewhere.

If they're quite close to being finished, then it makes sense to have a community group everyone is comfortable with finish them off for release, with the goal of being as true & respectful to his vision as possible, so that his final work can see the light of day. And also that the situation is explained in the readme and release threads, so people will understand why they got special treatment. But it's an exceptional case so people may have different opinions about it, and it's important to be respectful whatever is decided.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

14 hours ago, Cambridge Spy said:

What's going to happen now? WS6 and 7 are still in beta and have been put off on release until 2.09 came out.

Grayman repeatedly said that if he does not have time to release these two FMs, then the story of William Steele ends on the fifth mission.

I specifically asked him about it in March

I'm really sorry to bother you about it.

The missions WS6 and WS7 has gone beta long time ago, and in my humble opinion they were mostly waiting for 2.09 due to minor technical issues.

You wrote "William Steele ends at that point", but it does not clearly indicate what you want to happen to them in future in case you won't be able to work on them anymore.
Someone could think you are OK for them to be released "as is", someone could think you want them to remain unreleased.
If this question matters to you, better express your will unambiguously.

and here is his answer:

Steele ends. There exists no more time to put into it.

No preparing it for abandoned missions.

No handing it off to a person or group.

No archiving it ‘as is’.

I recognized the situation for what it was 10 years ago when I started, and declared to the group that this was a possible outcome.

So unless anyone wants to ignore his will, WS6 and WS7 are dead too.

Edited by stgatilov
Added the question
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 4