The Dark Mod Forums

Wherein thebigh sets himself a 24 hour building challenge

thebigh

Why don't we have contests more often? The last one seems to have been in 2015, which is well before my time.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

On 5/29/2021 at 6:47 PM, thebigh said:

Okay then, here it is. Luckily it weighs in at under 500kb so I can attach it directly and not have to upload it somewhere else. For your face-palming amusement, I give you "The Shield of Canthus"

Stuff I just couldn't get working right:

Reveal hidden contents

The zombie on the top floor of the tavern doesn't patrol right. I think the hallway might be too narrow and he just keeps bumping into the wall.

For some reason the "return to where you started" objective refuses to work. But if you want to know how much loot there is, it's $294 in total.

The haunted trap on the second floor of the townhouse is just a rough proof of concept for now. The skeleton that appears is supposed to patrol, and I thought my script would make him proceed from the triggerwait to his first patrol point, but no luck. I also couldn't figure out how to set off a target_callscriptfunction when grabbing an item- the haunted trap is supposed to trigger when you pick up the shield, so as a standin I used opening the door to that room (after picking it) to trigger that script.

I ran out of time, so the front of the townhouse and the tavern are ugly and incomplete.

Also it's too dark. I used the Sotha night-vision trick but even so it needed a few more lights. I can't dial up the ambient because I really dislike that washed-out look.

If you're looking for the secret, go into the back room of the tavern. Inspect the recessed section on your right carefully. (I couldn't figure out how to get it marked as a secret though).

Is this damp squib releasable? Hell no. Will it ever be? Also not. It's just so ugly and badly designed.

But I think I learned a bit more about mapping from doing it, so it was worth it IMO.

On the plus side, I think the location settings were pretty good. And the little flooded basement with my tribute to grayman looks pretty similar to how I imagined it in my head.

Now I'm going to have a cold beer and a nap.

shield.pk4 315.21 kB · 8 downloads

Nice little mission, good for a short coffee break.

The only lack, I can't finish it. After I do all the task with all loot, I go back to startpoint, but the game don't end there.

Nice detalle with the bust of Prof.Graumann 👍

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

39 minutes ago, Zerg Rush said:

The only lack, I can't finish it. After I do all the task with all loot, I go back to startpoint, but the game don't end there.

Yeah, I messed something up with the "return to the start" objective and couldn't get it fixed in time.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

2 hours ago, thebigh said:

Yeah, I messed something up with the "return to the start" objective and couldn't get it fixed in time.

Yes, but take it easy, it's a great work done in few time, for this I have not paid attention to these details. Expanding it a bit can be a very nice mission.

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

13 hours ago, demagogue said:

We used to have contests more often.

They're great because they kind of naturally temper your ambitions. You have a limited time like 1 or 3 months. A few for Dromed had build-time limits (because the Dark Engine actually tracks the build time; I don't recall DR doing that though), and it'd be like 24 or 72 hours or the like, which of course you can spread out over a week or few weeks. Often there's a size limit, and it's sometimes really small. There's usually a theme so you have something to spark an idea. And the fact it's a competition can add a little motivation, for people that are competitive by nature anyway.

I miss those times... Are there any plans for any upcoming building contests? Perhaps something to ponder... 

• Like 2

I think that for our creative geniuses it is an excellent exercise. I also think that, after the contest, there should be the possibility of perfecting the best works without a time limit, expanding them as good mission as it can be, like @thebigh 's mini mission.

• Like 1