The Dark Mod Forums

Loud static / popping background noise

MirceaKitsune

Since installing the latest versions of my system packages, I hear a loud and annoying static noise crackling in TDM audio. This seems to be different from my stuttering sound issue which was caused by a bad period size setting in OpenAL: Normal sound plays fine without interruptions or lag, but I also hear this annoying popping noise in my headphones all the time.

I get it in both the latest release (2.09) as well as latest dev snapshot (dev16269-9407), where the later seems to be producing the noise even more intensely. It's independent of EFX and HRTF, I tried turning both off and restarting but the issue persists. No issues in any other games (eg: 0ad, Red Eclipse, Xonotic) only TDM does this. Persists after restarting my system so it's a permanent issue. My OS is Manjaro Linux on KDE / Plasma. Any other Linux users getting this and know what might be the cause?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, datiswous said:

I'm sorry, but I'm using Manjaro linux xfce and I can't reproduce this issue, maybe it's in combination with certain hardware?

That's good to know. It might be in that case: Linux has an issue with my microphone which starts acting up the moment I open Audacity, but with sound output I never had any problems. Sounds like I might need to start messing with the OpenAL settings again to see if anything there fixes it. I didn't get this issue in Manjaro over a month ago when I switched to it (from openSUSE Tumbleweed) and I already had the 2.09 TDM release, so it's likely some driver update that introduced it recently. Let me know if any setting I should try tweaking comes to mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to update this to confirm it's seemingly an OS issue: A few other applications triggered something similar on rare occasions. After restarting my machine, I noticed sound in TDM was suddenly clear and working perfectly... it seems to start happening after certain other applications are opened. Will continue debugging this.

• Like 1

Managed to fix this one at last. I simply had to remove my customized alsoft.conf... the one I created to fix my issue with the stuttering sound, see the link in my first post for that issue. Apparently that one's gone and I no longer need custom OpenAL settings, reverting to the defaults no longer triggers whatever problem the OS has with my sound card. If either of the issues return I'll just bring the file back and play with the settings till everything works right.

Edited by MirceaKitsune
  • Like 1