The Dark Mod Forums

2.10 dev build error message

geegee

With dev build TDM 2.10/64 #9406 I get the warning:
during compiling AAS...
WARNING:brush 0 on entity 1114636288 is unbounded.

That warning makes no sense to me.  The brushes and entities near the coordinate location  haven't been touched in ages.  Of course there is no such entity and I've had different entity numbers 1.1 billion, 1.2 billion, ...

I don't get that warning with stable build TDM 2.09/64 #9108

eta: After only vaguely isolating the problem area, I reverted to 2.09 and problem solved, or at least the appearance of a solution.  However with thinking cap on I doubt that this is a problem with the dev build.  Much more likely it's my map, which is a disgraceful clutter of stuff dating from too long ago, when I didn't have a clue, up to today when I'm getting the hang of it.  I've decided to rebuild the map geometry, streamline it and set up portals properly.  Use the 2.10 build.

eta2:  Had to delete the sealing brushes, sky and floor, plus the static floor meshes, over the entire affected area.  Then slice up the replacement brushes to rid the WIP of neverending "chopwinding bla bla bla" errors.  But it's done, v 2.10 dmap gives no errors.

I fear I breached a protocol by posting this topic here, for which I apologize.

Edited by geegee

@stgatilov
Yes.  However the original map is 54MB, 7038 entities.  Which is why I moved on to TDM v2.10.  It has 200+ new textures with many covering sealing brushes so without those it won't dmap without a box around it.

But since it's the error you're interested in, I erased all I could while still leaving the error.  Which left me with error.map, attached, 85KB.  It has one horse (horses are .... finicky) and 4 clip brushes, either of which I delete removes the error.  In this map, at any rate.  Removing the horse from the 54MB original doesn't work, but removing the clip brushes does.

By the way, when deleting entities I noticed blue lines left behind by deleted triggers.  The entity inspector listed all the entities supposedly deleted.  When I selected all entities a hundred or so origin vertices highlighted. I saved to a new map and deleted them, which reduced the size of the map from 107K to 85K.  That's in DR 2.13 Opre2 x64.  

eta: yes, that horse is blatantly ripped off from bikerdude's caduceus, along with the walls.  I used it in an inaccessible outdoor scene to peek at thru' thin slit windows - the horse in the stable with the walls, the cart and path.  And I took envshots for cubemaps, so it's also vaguely reflected in opaque windows. 

error.map

Edited by geegee
  • Like 1

Ok, I see why this warning prints random numbers.

When BSP tree is build from brushes, there are two types of brush splits by chosen plane:

1. Splitting brushes from the map
  2. Splitting the "volume" of the BSP node

In the first case, the split brush has entityNum and primitiveNum set, so it displays proper numbers.
You get the second case. The "volume" brush does not come from the map (it's simply the whole space progressively split into smaller and smaller chunks), it does not have entity/primitive number set. So it prints uninitialized data.

As for why this happens: as usual, the volume becomes too small, and splits start failing. I doubt it is fully fixable.

The coordinates should still hint at the location which causes the problem.

• Like 1

I think these clip brushes are solely responsible the issue.
The horse matter only because if you remove it, then AAS won't be compiled at all.
Also the type of AAS used by AI matters, since the brushes are enlarged by the AAS size before building BSP tree.

Dmap is not very good with sloped brushes, and I suppose this is the bad case.
If you offset all the brush planes and intersect them with each other, you will probably see some subspaces which are very thin. At least dmap manages to find such bad volume.
I think if it is possible to modify the brushes slightly, the error should go away.

• Like 1

Quite interestingly, there are two almost parallel planes/sides which most likely cause the issue.
However, they are not present in the original brushes: they are added to brushes as "bevels" when brush is expanded by AAS box.
The bevels are generated from edge of brush and coordinate axis (in fact it is Minkowski difference), and it seems that the parallel edges are not exactly parallel here...

• Like 1

Thanks!  It's good to know that there isn't a problem still lurking in the brushwork of that area.

I'd never build an area like that nowadays, using clip to cover bumps in func_statics, etc. - nor would I make clumsy intersected brushes like that.

A problem with reworking old badly made areas is the nostalgia, the deep-set attitude "but I don't want to delete and rebuild that whole area, it took so much time to make and ... crying real tears here!"  Yet in truth it's much easier, faster and gives far superior results to just do it, delete it all and rebuild with a better plan.