The Dark Mod Forums

Ghosting the Dark Mod

marbleman

Yes, I know, but the guards are with the sword alerted by myself. I also played Perilous Refuge with 0 points, but not all loot, for me it was a mission much easier. At least, find all secrets and loot in huge missions is very hard.

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

• 3 weeks later...

@Klatremus, saw you fighting with the candlestick and the Supreme rules (at around 1:07:00), and it does strike me that it's a bug in the rules if you can relight the candle and leave it lit and still aren't allowed to take the loot.  You're not taking advantage of the temporary darkness, and you weren't seen.  Fix the rules, surely, and take the loot?

I agree that these loot items were frustrating to skip, especially when TDM normally does let you take candle holders without putting out the light. Removing lights even for briefing moment, despite not using it in order to gain a stealth advantage is a bust and has been discussed at length before. This thread in the first 30 posts goes through a long discussion where it was suggested to change the rule to allow taking loot that emits light when not used for concealment purposes. We agreed to keep the rule as it has always been.

Edited by Klatremus

Thank you for that thread, very interesting discussion.

On a related note, I do think your trick with the paper to avoid using moss arrows ... is a bit of a cheat!  Although not strictly forbidden by the rules, to me it looks more like exploiting a glitch.  What do you think?

Edit: I'm thinking rule #8 here: Offical Ghost Rules (oh, actually rule #11 of the Supreme rules).

Edit: Just read more of the linked thread.  Lots of language lawyering for fun there!  I'm guessing that you wouldn't count the silent fall onto paper as a glitch ... just unexpected behaviour ... so it's ok.  Feels a bit cheap to me, but am interested in what you think.

Edited by Araneidae

It is definitely bending the engine's capabilities somewhat, but not enough to call it an exploit. That would be doing things that are physically impossible, like what is mentioned in the rules as examples: pushing through banners or doors, moving enemies across a room, blocking enemies with boxes, etc.

Using soft items like potions or fruits to cushion drops have been done in Thief by ghosters for years.

Glad you liked the discussion thread.

14 hours ago, Araneidae said:

I'm guessing that you wouldn't count the silent fall onto paper as a glitch ... just unexpected behaviour ... so it's ok.  Feels a bit cheap to me, but am interested in what you think.

That isn't cheap or unexpected at all - but literally the "sim" in "immersive sim" in action.
Surfaces determines impact noise. Paper is a rather silent material compared to harder materials like stone and tile.
So of course you can just silently land on paper. Not unexpected at all (but i didn't thought about that too).

Granted, a single sheet wouldn't be much in real life. But it still is just a game and the engine has its limits.
I would still allow dropping sheets and books to dampen a fall for any level of ghosting allowing the non-plot-forced use of non-consumables because it probably reduces the overall waiting time quite a bit.

But as with all gameplay mechanics, you could outlaw it explicitly for "Supreme Ghost Mode".

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/21/2021 at 9:28 AM, Dragofer said:

The pickpocket count should be quite feasible to add to the mission statistics. I'd do it by 1) adding a basic property to the base class for pickpocketable items like keys and purses, then 2) scanning all AIs in the map to count how many such items have been attached to them to see how many there are in total.

FYI: Issue #5678 has been resolved with revision #9926. The end mission statistics now display the total amount of items that could have been pickpocket by the end of the mission. Note that this is no static value. If an ai is taken out by the player, taken the items from the body is not counted as pickpocketing and therefore is not counted to the total value.

So depending on the playstyle, this number may vary for different players/playthroughs.

Left is the current, right is the future stat screen.

pickpocket.thumb.jpg.9558ab5d588795c0a222a48d567aad48.jpg

• Like 2

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

• 2 months later...

This was a very cool playthrough of this great mission @marbleman- "let's plays" are interesting in themselves but it was a nice change to watch such a practiced playthrough and some of the creative solutions you came up with along the way.

I am looking forward to seeing you run through Noble Affairs!

• Like 1

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hello Friends

I did a ( how to -) Supreme Ghost Walk-through of "Hazard-Pay"
If you are interested/want to take a look,
I need some help/support on how to present it.
I don't have my own place (and I don't want to!) to upload it.
The so-called "official channel for The Dark Mod" @thedarkmod3844 on YouTube doesn't seem to be supported any more.
So maybe someone wants to offer it privately in their own space
- YouTube / google drive / webpage - …………
I have 2 versions of it :
First: The walk-through as it was played (+ some subtitles)
Second : a Music Edition
with music that tries to adapt to the scenery – the mind/mood of the protagonist

Any idea would be nice

Hello again

Thanks for the advice - Freyk

But sorry : “ Don´t let me be misunderstood “

I don´t want any Account at Google to partake in their family .

My Idea was it to send the files to somebody – to take a look on it -

and if he think it´s worth – upload them on his own Channel

I know that´s not common to do so with someone else's Videos

(normally just a link to the liked source)

my hope is that maybe Klatremus or marbleman have an interest on it

they are the most involved in “Supreme Ghost “

( it´s a strict-Supreme Ghost – with a busted ending on purpose )

Edit : Sleeped a night over it

forget about it , it´s maybe a silly idea and just fishing for compliments .

(because i was so proud of it (walkthrough & especialy the music-Edition)

By the way : during the work on it , i discovered " Return to forever "

a fantastic fusion Jazz-Band of the 70´s (ChickCorea,StanleyClarke,AlDiMeola....)

have fun listening to them !

Edited by Bergante

• 4 months later...

hello everyone
since i discovered the  " tdm_loot_stealth_stats.pk4 "  I´m trying for supreme Ghosting .
(😉Thx to snatcher , only cause your modPack i found it ! )
and now that there was mentioned a new Campain for ThiefGold I went in  and downloaded the new stuff of 23
It seems Klatremus and Marbelman are more on TTLG , where i had fun reading things in :

TTLG      Thread: FMs - Ghost/Perfect Thief Results (Part 9) [SPOILERS]
my Question : does there exist anything similar to the tdm_loot_stealth_stats for Thief1/Gold-Thief2  -  or something to implement in AngelLoader ?

P.S. : Klatremus ? what would you need from me to have HazardPay reported as SupremeGhosted ?
Edited by Bergante