The Dark Mod Forums

"Grayman Avatar" painting (done)

JackFarmer

I want to have some sort of wall painting showing grayman's DM avatar in his wip "TBM" that I will complete.

Zergrush posted this image in another thread.

JGXs0UT.jpg

I cannot use the original as it seemingly is IP.

Is somebody here with the skills to create a more or less identical copy of the image above with grayman's red avatar sword?

• Like 2

Hi JackFarmer,

here is my try to create the image you wanted. In addition to chaning the handle of the sword, I also tried to change the shape of the guard and pommel to be more similar to grayman's picture. It is not 100% accurate, but it may suffice.

JGXs0UT-red.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's not so easy, this image seems to have copyright, I've post another one free in PM, but I 'll try to paint a own one, using Krita and Artbreeder (online AI art generator). What others may also try, both are free to use. With Artbreeder you can generate high quality landscape paintings, among others, and with Krita retouch it easyly as you need, using its brushes with rocks, vegetations, etc..  Swords are downloadable as vector clips for free.

This avoid every copyright problem.

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

Indeed,  if we use a grave, it maybe one of William Steele. But I think more in a nice Landscape with the Sword in it.  As base one created with Artbreeder, so its a unique image, created by us.

In Artbreeder you only has to select the type of Landscape and modify the parameters, the rest is don automatic by the AI. It's very easy to use.

This are some examples which I have created 

rEu6zWW.png

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Yes, this is the problem with this type of images, free to use for everything, but paying the license. Because of this I searched other alternatives to create a image. This way we don't have problems with own pictures, more, we can use our own copyright.

Everybody, without great artistic skills can creat an image in this online edito and add easy a rock with a sword or similar at this image (usin incluse a Sword from the TDM resources) whith any paint app. If you like, putting below "Copyright by TDM"

Edited by Zerg Rush

In Stock images there are images like this with Copyright, that is to say that you can use them for any purpose, even commercial, but only after paying for the license.
Another thing are images licensed from Creative Commons, in these enough to indicate the author, but these images do not usually have much quality and are mostly photos of some furniture or streets, fashion and things like that.
I've already looked for it on all sides to find something worthwhile and in the end I came across this paint generator and I think it's the best solution to do something, but some screenshot of some WS scene that can serve, maybe previously staged with some sword, or directly make a scrrenshot of a scene designed with DR

Edited by Zerg Rush

12 minutes ago, JackFarmer said:

@nbohr1more

Can I use Destined's take or does it pose IP infringement?

@demagogue would be better at answering the legal issues but I would guess that the distinctive rock formations in the background and

the shape of the cobweb would be enough to get you in trouble if the owner pursued a claim.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

It doesn't have to be a painting, there are other ways to include a tribute. For example, Geep created a character inspired by grayman, and you could create an ingame location with a sword stuck in something.

Regarding Zerg Rush's painting, it's not sufficient to modify a copyrighted work to make it your own. You really need to check what the author says about how you may use it.

That is the problem, for private use you can use every image, but for a public game not. But I think the own game editor Dark Radiant include all the components we need for make an image that we can use without problems and copyright crap. (speed build contest? no game only a scenary, screenshot and done, maybe an oilpainting filter)

Edited by Zerg Rush

I wouldn't use that iStock image. It literally comes from an image farm. Their entire business model is to trick people into infringements, find them, and ask people to pay for it. But I think nobody here was ever arguing that we should.

I think Zerg is right in that last post. Someone can model the image in DR and take a screenshot and either paint from it or put a filter on it. It'd be fitting even aside from the copyright issue.

• Thanks 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

On 6/25/2021 at 10:32 PM, nbohr1more said:

6EqitQU.png

There it is without that annoying watermark!

• Like 1

Yes, but not change that te Picture has a copyright. Before in the other thread I post this image also without watermarks. But that the image circulates on the net, because someone has copied it, does not invalidate this copiright.
You can use this image perfectly for your private use or post it here in the forum, but you cannot use it for public use for TDM, without getting into possible problems..

The same if someone copies TDM images, while doing it to use them in private use, wallpaper or posting it on another site in a particular way, nothing happens, but it do, when they copy it to make another game or use it publicly for some campaign, this will violate this right that TDM has.

For this reason, it is better to avoid any possible problem and make our own images, which is not that complicated either. We have all the components to do it

I found this the other day, to get pictures, although I don't know if they can serve our purpose.
It is from an artist who has released all his old works into the public domain, free for any use. But because it is freely downloadable, they come in a 90Gb ZIP, which obviously for me, with an SSD that has only 120Gb free is too much. In case anyone dares, here is the link.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/ucLFuLOEKK9Uo/

r5fIDOl.jpeg

License text

DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
                    Version 1, October 2020

Copyright (C) 2020 Stéphane "Wootha" Richard <art@wootha.com>

Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim or modified
 copies of this license document, and changing it is allowed as long
 as the name is changed.

DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
   TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION

0. You just DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO with the images contained in this archive.
Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Zerg Rush said:

First sketch, made quickly

tK0YR5X.jpg

@Zerg Rush

If you want to help me, then you have time until November/December to create an unique "painting" that resembles the mentioned iStock Excalibur image but includes a sword with a red handle just as in grayman's forum avatar.

Thank you very much in advance!

Jack

52 minutes ago, JackFarmer said:

@Zerg Rush

If you want to help me, then you have time until November/December to create an unique "painting" that resembles the mentioned iStock Excalibur image but includes a sword with a red handle just as in grayman's forum avatar.

Thank you very much in advance!

Jack

Ok, I suppose until November I will have some sketches. Apart from this, naturally others can also come up with some ideas, if they want. Sure, there are better artists here than me. Always better to have several options. 👍

• Thanks 1

I add a curious page that I found by chance looking for a sword.
It's from nVidia and it's called Spade and it's an application (MIT license) that uses AI, which turns a rough drawing into a photorealistic image.
As a demo they have an online app (GauGan) that uses this algorithm and that can be used freely.

Edited by Zerg Rush

18 hours ago, Zerg Rush said:

To save a lot of searching, I have drawn a sword, for those who want to use it for their image.

Nah, that's not a good idea because then I would have to pick one's work and the others would have wasted their time. Since time is a rare thing, I don't want to go down this road.

Please confirm whether you will give it a try or not. As I have written above, you have plenty of time and you can post your WIP here for comments to improve the result until release of the map.

Ok, this sword was just a contribution and it doesn't bother me that someone uses my contributions, I think that in the OSS philosophy collaboration and sharing count, to achieve a result created by the community.
Of course I will present different designs, I have time to do so, but others can also collaborate and modify my contributions or create their own works. With the online tools that I left behind, I believe that everyone can make good "paintings".

• Thanks 1