The Dark Mod Forums

Doom 3 Sequel?

Kurshok

The Doom series went from action in 1 and 2 (along with Doom 64 and Doom RPG) to horror in Doom 3 and back to action in Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal. Now, I absolutely loved the epic saga of the Doom Marine in 1 and 2 turning into the legendary hero in Doom 2016 and Eternal, but as a fan of Doom 3's horror, I feel bad that the horror reboot was un-rebooted. Would you guys like it if in the future, a sequel to Doom 3 was made? I know that The Dark Mod started out as a Doom 3 mod.

• Like 1

I like Doom 3 more than 1 and 2. Sorry.

I didn't play Doom 1 or 2 except the demo when I was kid at school. And I didn't play the full game until AFTER I played Quake 2, 3, doom 3, quake 4 etc. To go back to those awful controls was unfathomable. Gave me a headache after a few minutes of playing. Now the ports have gotten very good and mouse look+aim is very good, I still just go "meh". I can see how ground breaking it was at the time, but I've been too spoiled by modern game design to really enjoy it.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Doom 3 was OK, I even replayed it with some nice graphics mods a few months ago, but I eventually lost interest. However, it doesn't come close to how much I loved Doom 2016 and especially Doom Eternal! DE on nightmare (highest difficulty, but no perma-death) taught me so many skills and took my shooter gameplay on a whole new level. Incredible game!!

Is the System Shock remake any good? It's still a bit pricy for me so I'll wait to get cheaper, but if it's horrible I might not bother at all.

I loved System Shock 2, but could never get into the original because the controls were so confusing and many. It was like living in an aeroplane cockpit.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

It's not out yet. You can only preorder. But there is a demo, you can play the first level. I personally like it, although I hope that the enemies become a bit more interesting in the final version.

I played SS Enhenced Edition before, which I think is quite playable.

Edited by datiswous
  • Like 1

Ah, I only saw it out on steam, saw the price and immediately noped. I'd have to burgle a lot of mansions to afford that. I'll check out the demo when I have some time.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

I completely love Doom 3, it was my first introduction to the Doom franchise, so sad that idSoftware decided to go back to its, Serious Sam like roots. 

Just to put things in perspective, I finished Doom 3, 10 times or more, start to finish, while Doom 2016, I never finished one single time, found it to be repetitive and boring, never bought Doom Eternal because of it. 

Doom 3 to me was like a movie experience, a somewhat serious, more mature game, for example the Doom 3 marine, was a normal man, put into a unusual situation that pushed him to its limits, modern doom is like a arcade kiddies game, where you are a literal super hero that everyone should fear and the player ego goes through the roof because "YOU ARE THE SLAYER!!!", some may like this but personally I don't. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HMart said:

while Doom 2016, I never finished one single time, found it to be repetitive and boring, never bought Doom Eternal because of it. 

I saw video's of gameplay at the time when it came out and instantly hated what I saw. Especially the constant arena based map-area's. I wonder if Doom Eternal is any different. Have you ever played Prey 2006?

Yes I played Prey 2006 and Quake 4, finished both more than once, but this is because both followed more less the Doom 3 formula, with their own special sauce, being Prey the most unique in that regard with the portal stuff.

About Doom eternal never played it, so I can't say much about it but based on the videos I saw, looked more of the same from Doom 2016 just in a greater scale.

I strongly disliked Doom 3.  I don't really like "horror" games so that's probably why. Really stopped following id after that.

The original Doom holds a special place and time in my heart.  We had a small novell netware lan at school where I set up multiplayer, good times.  We had ADI's in our rooms and a 1 vs 1 over the network was possible... at about 1 frame per second :D.  It also didn't give me motion sickness like Castle Wolfenstein 3d did.