The Dark Mod Forums

Texture Presentation

BlackThief

I created this thread, so that the texture artists can present their work.

Today I started to work on some victorian stuff, like in the Thief 2 texture-families VICM1-12.

Here's what I've done so far:

a wooden panel or whatever you call it in english...

panel3.jpg

wooden ceiling - here the original T2 texture

m04ceil3.jpg

my photorealistic version:

ceiling-demo.jpg

I plan to make them in various colors, like in thief 2.

You can find em on the FTP as jpg - tga file-size was to big (around 4mb).

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, the ceiling looks good, but I'm still dazzled by the friggin' window!! :)

hm, the ceiling looks a little bit unsharp in doom3 in comparison to my thief 3 shots. I uploaded my bumpmap of the ceiling to the ftp and a new texture a made today.

probably one of the most difficult textures I made yet - it's only a baroque wallpaper, however I only got a small piece of the wallpaper and so I had to draw about 1/5 of the hole texture in PS by hand. Hope I did a good job, so that you can't recognize the areas I made :D

here's the demo:

wallp-red1-demo.jpg

full version (512x512) on the ftp.

I think the style fits to the panel and the ceiling - now we can create a whole thiefy room :)

Edited by BlackThief

Since I'm kind of new to texturing I was wondering if someone could help me out with a little problem I'm having importing a file into T3.

I'm trying to make an alteration to the Main Menu Title that swoops in during the beginning of Deadly Shadows, but when I import the bmp using DX Tool it changes my Alpha channel to white and i get a big box around the title "deadly Shadows". Is there something I have to do in photoshop to ensure my alpha chanell stays black? Perhaps it has something to do with the dxt3 format...I dunno...it's driving me crazy.

This is less important than figuring out Doom 3 textures. And I can't really help, haven't tried any of this with T3.

Ahhh, no problem. Just thought since I was working on it that the information would be usefull for both Thief 3 and Doom textures.

That new pic looks great.

Edited by New Horizon

hm, the shadows look a little bit strange to me on the shot :blink:

anyway I just uploaded a new texture and some other textures in new colors.

a white wallpaper - actually I didn't had to do much on this, cauze almost everything already fit.

demo:

wallp-white1-demo.jpg

and here's the ceiling in yellow - I just changed the colors in Photoshop - its quite easy

:D

demo:

ceiling-yellow-demo.jpg

I also changed the color of the panel.

WOOHOO! I CAN POST AGAIN!

lol, anyway...I have a few wallpaper textures of my own to contribute. None of them are quite as Thiefy as Blackthief's, but I'm sure they'll have their place in the game somewhere.

This one turned out great ingame, but alas...it's sort of a funky hell of an ugly wallpaper. Could fit for bathrooms, though.

wallpaper01_d.jpg

This one is more intheme, but it looks more like a carpet than a wallpaper.

wallpaper03a_d.jpg

They're not bad, but I like the ones posted above a helluva lot better.

So far I have about 27 textures from various sources ingame with about 5 or 6 of them refusing to show up properly. Originally I thought tweaking the color levels confused the editor, but after some tweaked textures showed up I'm starting to believe it has more to do with either the directory structure or just plain randomness . Since some of the default Id textures refused to show up even before I started modding it's hard to say.

Edit: Once again I have to bring up how much better it is to do normalmaps by hand...

woodwall_ingame.jpg

In the end it makes it far cleaner and looks a good deal better. It's not that hard to do either, I've never done any texturework before I started this project so I'm sure some of you photoshop pros won't have any problems at all.

Edited by Renzatic

I would suggest you make the normal texture (with lattice) transparent and translucent and then put the lattice on it. of course everything must fit exactly, but I think this will look best. I tried to make a no lattice version, but it looks like crap, cauze of the dirt and some other things on the glass, that is dependent to the lattice. I hope you understand, what I mean - sometimes it's hard to explain in english ;)

edit: a new wallpaper :D

wallp-red2.jpg

Edited by BlackThief

...and another victorian wood texture - actually I'm very proud of it, cauze it's a really good looking high-res texture, however I didn't get the right color, so that it doesn't fit to the other wooden stuff I made -_-

here are 4 different versions (the 1st is the original) - maybe someone else can do the color-work better, so that it'll fit better to the other stuff...

1. version

2. version

3. version

4. version

I think the texture will look good at the upper edge of a wall. I don't know how you call it in english.

another wooden texture - alrady uploaded it on the ftp: http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/Textures/wdn-panel.ceil.jpg

I think it'll look good as ceiling and as a panel. the only problem will be the map for it, cauze of the detailed carved frame. ;) looking forward to see this ingame - I made the texture using a photo of my grandma's desk :D she's got some really nice furniture in her living room - I'll make some more textures with suff of this room.

Needs to be cleaned up towards the center, it's obvious that the texture was flipped down the center and it looks a little weird. Beyond that it's good.

I've started adding basic single color surfaces today, stuff that looks alot like Thief 3 textures actually. Kinda come to realise that we need to put some restriction cap in on this, otherwise we'll end up with a pk4 file that's almost a gig in size by the time we're done...I'm adding these things left and right just for variety.

But anyway, it looks like this.

We also need to resize these textures properly. Almost all of them are 512x512, which probably contributed to me oversizing my map. Thing is 256x256 makes it look sloppy and low res and the normalmapper doesn't like 384x384 for some reason...