The Dark Mod Forums

Texture Presentation

BlackThief

Light shafts = easy. Just a texture on the light as usual, and projected light.

Anyway, yeah the windows are too big. And yes, your roof texture doesn't work, I'll sort that out too.

And we need to figure out shaders so we can have proper transparent/translucent glass in those windows instead of just a flat texture.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's the first castle wall texture:

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/Textures/cas-wall1.jpg

I know 1024x1024 is a little bit too big for the texture - the optimal size would be around 800x800 :rolleyes: so you've to scale it down a bit in the editor...

I'll try to make good normalmap for it.

Edited by BlackThief

It's not too late to start. If you wanna go ahead and help BT and I out I can tell you everything you need to know to get a basic working texture in place.

I had never done any texturework before I started this mod, so it's not really a hard thing to get into. All it takes is patience, trial and error work (I went through 7 specular maps before I got one I was happy with for instance), and a good idea of how to apply depth with heightmaps and you're ready to go.

And another test using the new trim is up. Still looks a little plain, need more detailing textures.

Edited by Renzatic

That brick texture reminds me - a lot of the normals we make should be based off of modelling, not painting. This is especially true of the complicated ones (the wood inlays come to mind). Modelling that inlay, then normal mapping it, would take about 20 minutes, and would get excellent results. This is how they got most of the really complicated metal textures in Doom3 (the ones with sockets and pipes and so on and so forth). Anyway, if you want me to knock some up, I will. Very easy project for me.

Hey, not bad at all, Fingernail. Once you get done you'll need to post a tut on how you did it so we can all join in on the fun (wow, that rhymed). ;)

Oh yeah, a nice tip on making specularmaps. I went through your mini tutorial and make my first specmap by just making a darkened greyscale image of the material I wanted to shinyize. Thing is once you're done with it the lighting will end up being too uniform across the surface and won't look quite as realistic as it should...

The solution to that problem is surprisingly easy. To fix that, just make your greyscale image as usual, add a render cloud on a new layer, gaussian blur it a bit til the clouds don't look quite like clouds anymore, tweak it til you're happy with the results, then blend the layers (I used overlay, but quite a few of the blend filters will work). Instant nonuniform specular map, the end results are alot better and you only need basic photoshop knowledge to do it.

Okay, here is a window I'm working on. Needs to have the background replaced and perhaps some other touches...like changing the window frames....but what do you think? Fire away, and don't be gentle. :)

I'm just wondering how it's over all "colour" will blend in with the existing textures. It's what I was blabbering on about in the other threads. This image looks fairly washed out, like it was taken in midday on an overcast day. Nothing that photoshop can't fix I bet. If you compare it to the similar textures (there are ones that look like this - white stone around curved windows) the colours are fairly high contrast.

The only way I can think to help them all look consistant (aside from trying to make them close to the same colour pallette) is to actually make a building out of all the textures, and see if it looks right.

Hey all - I knocked up a quick model of the wooden inlay trim thing. Unfortunately, in that fateful reformat I lost my Doom 3 install, and the CDs are home. I'll grab them this weekend, but for now I just exported the two ASE files for your use to generate normal maps. I attached it as a zip. There's a good tutorial on doing it at http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5133 - it should be pretty obvious which of my files is which.

WoodInlayLow.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I've cleaned up (or in some cases added some grunge) and tweaked some of the textures that are gonna be a part of package 0.03, figured I'd toss em out to get a little feedback. I've paid a bit more attention to the bumpmaps with these, so I'm able to pull out some more detail while using less brushes.

The famous fireplace angle shot redux

Closeup of the wall and trim

The famous wide roomshot redux

The textures are starting to look alright, but mapwise it feels like something is missing (besides furniture and a ceiling I mean). I think I might need some more ornate stuff to throw in there to flesh it out.

He doesn't have D3 yet, so in the meantime he uses T3 to test em out.

Edit: Here it is in D3. It's a excellent texture, and the sense of depth on the normalmaps is great. But the lumpiness (for lack of a better word) on the normal needs to be smoothed out a bit, it could make the texture look almost unrecognizable in certain lighting situations.

Edited by Renzatic