The Dark Mod Forums

Texture Presentation

BlackThief

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cobblestone looks awesome! The bricks are good but maybe the specular is a bit too strong.

The cobblestone looks awesome! The bricks are good but maybe the specular is a bit too strong.

that's easy to tweak - I'll do that, when the texture is in an actual map and I can see how it fits to the environment.

just to show you guys that I was busy today - another texture. also pretty simple: a marble trim. It's for the entrance hall of my mansion map.

post-6-1132694991_thumb.jpg

that's easy to tweak - I'll do that, when the texture is in an actual map and I can see how it fits to the environment.

just to show you guys that I was busy today - another texture. also pretty simple: a marble trim. It's for the entrance hall of my mansion map.

Drooooooools. :) I can't wait to see this in action.

Not to throw poop, :) but can you check the file sizes for the newest textures? I'm not at home right now, but if I remember correctly, the cobblestones, possibly others, and the latest models (city watch) have the big mombo 4Mb TGAs instead of the optimized 768kb versions.

And yes they look awesome.

I'll have a go at converting them in a day or two.

Not to throw poop, :) but can you check the file sizes for the newest textures? I'm not at home right now, but if I remember correctly, the cobblestones, possibly others, and the latest models (city watch) have the big mombo 4Mb TGAs instead of the optimized 768kb versions.

And yes they look awesome.

well if anyone can give me a link to the converter I could optimize them ;)

well if anyone can give me a link to the converter I could optimize them ;)

I just use photoshop BT. Format: TGA with RLE 24 bit Lossless Compression.

Just follow the guidelines here if you aren't sure what size to make some of them. :)

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?act=announce&f=17&id=1

Take care to only use lossless compression as we don't want to sacrifice the quality. On average, the diffuse textures should work down to around 700kb at 512X512

And remember not to use a spec map unless absolutely necessary, and it isn't necessary for most THief type textures. Doom was all metal and plastic, so Spec maps were pretty much ubiqitous there. We have very little metal and zero plastic.

THat brick wall doesn't need one for sure. Brick's are not shiny like that.

THere's no point going aroundf throwing spec maps on everything willy nilly just becasue we can.

Heightmaps are also redundant now, due to the fact they can be seamlessly incorporated into the normal map.

The majority of our textures will only need a diffuse and a normal.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I just use photoshop BT. Format: TGA with RLE 24 bit Lossless Compression.

Just follow the guidelines here if you aren't sure what size to make some of them. :)

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?act=announce&f=17&id=1

Take care to only use lossless compression as we don't want to sacrifice the quality. On average, the diffuse textures should work down to around 700kb at 512X512

ah, thought there was some special programm to compress the tgas. Just checked my files and they're all around 760kb, so I guess that's ok.

@oddity when you take a look into the textures folder you can see that I very rarely use speculars. I created one for the bricks because I wanted them to look a little bit wet/shiny.

brilliant work :)

I love the cobblestone and the marble trim heaps!

I think it would be a good idea to have a look at parrallax mapping right about the time we start making intricate details in textures which stand out and facades and the stuff. I really think parallax maps could be useful for us, in certain situations that is.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the colour of the metal, but it looks a little sci-fi-ish to me. Maybe cut down on the number of pipes? I don't know.

well the number of pipes is pretty much the same as on my t2 'inspiration' - the whole thing is almost a copy. but I can see your point - maybe it looks so sci-fi-ish because all the walls are covered by the pipes. later the level-designer should pplace those pipes between regular walls.

• 3 weeks later...

That looks excellent, but I'm sure I've seen a texture similar to that in the past. In fact, you did one with moss like that didn't you? I know Ren had a similar one he used for the crypt he was doing at one point.

Still, the more the merrier. :)