The Dark Mod Forums

Just Music You Like

JackFarmer

Serj has some good songs, like Harakiri. The chorus is so good.

I remember checking the album out back in the day, but determined it wasn't good enough.

Since summer is still going, here is some more summery music. Both some form of chamber pop.

I don't care about Sigur Ros, but Jonsi's Go from 2010 is one of my favorite albums.

Didn't even know this song had a video. So fun and catchy.

Edited by roygato
  • Like 1

I also love ancient /tradicional folk from Norway, Siberia, Mongolia, Japan and also Africa. There are also very interesting artists, like Wardruna (Norway), Nyttland (Siberia) Heilung (Norway) Huun-Huur-Tu (Mongolian), Hassak (Tuvan),  Eitetsu Hayashi & Shinichi Kinoshita (Japan), Boubacar Traoré & Ali Farka Touré (Mali)  and Rokía Taóre. (Mali)

Edited by Zerg Rush

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

Heilung is actually mostly German (at least the home country of the band members is), but the themes and languages they use are ancient European (and mostly northern). I like them, but it is a kind of music I cannot listen to too much. Especially the poems and spoken passages are quite strenuous at times.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zerg Rush said:

Oh nice, shamisen. Just watched an anime about it.

Loved all these scenes with people playing. I'm not sure I'd really listen to this stuff casually, but it was fun in the confines of the show.

Also, taiko is the best percussion in history.

Edited by roygato
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Destined said:

Heilung is actually mostly German (at least the home country of the band members is), but the themes and languages they use are ancient European (and mostly northern). I like them, but it is a kind of music I cannot listen to too much. Especially the poems and spoken passages are quite strenuous at times.

Yes, some members are German, but the band in general is not, apart from if they are dedicated to Nordic music.
Well, this happens with any style and genre, it always depends on the moment and the mood. For me, the scope of the music I listen to goes from the thirteenth century, Renaissance, Baroque classical and symphonic from the 19th century and today, things like the ones I put on to melodic death metal.
The only thing that excludes from the list is reggeton and summer hits, these I can't stand.

• Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

31 minutes ago, roygato said:

Oh nice, shamisen. Just watched an anime about it.

Loved all these scenes with people playing. I'm not sure I'd really listen to this stuff casually, but it was fun in the confines of the show.

Also, taiko is the best percussion in history.

If You like percussion, do you know the Blue Man Group or Mayumana?

Here a Jam session of the Blue Man Group with Kodo artists.

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Zerg Rush said:

If You like percussion, do you know the Blue Man Group or Mayumana?

I know BMG, as in that they exist, but I don't think I ever heard anything from them. That track was pretty good. Mayumana not as much. I'm not necessarily into purely percussion music, but taiko just has that massive, epic sound, especially as an ensemble.

Also, that Fever Ray song is fire. I checked her out years ago, but sadly didn't really enjoy anything else.

Edited by roygato
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, roygato said:

I know BMG, as in that they exist, but I don't think I ever heard anything from them. That track was pretty good. Mayumana not as much. I'm not necessarily into purely percussion music, but taiko just has that massive, epic sound, especially as an ensemble.

Also, that Fever Ray song is fire. I checked her out years ago, but sadly didn't really enjoy anything else.

I like some pieces from Fever Ray, like this one, (most older pieces), but not all of them. That ocurres also with other groups and musicians. There are very few where I like all of them.. But never lacks good music and artists, personal taste apart.

Edited by Zerg Rush

I remember listening to Rise Against for the first time on the radio. My local Alternative station was playing Swing Life Away and I loved it. I wanted more like it, so I bought the album and found that the rest of it was rock, punk, heavy metal mix that really turned me off and I was super disappointed and put the music away for a few years.

Well, now I have all their albums and love them, and Swing Life Away is the song that I listen to the least.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

1 minute ago, AluminumHaste said:

I remember listening to Rise Against for the first time on the radio. My local Alternative station was playing Swing Life Away and I loved it. I wanted more like it, so I bought the album and found that the rest of it was rock, punk, heavy metal mix that really turned me off and I was super disappointed and put the music away for a few years.

I can empathize. During the old, more optimistic days, I was more than happy to buy albums based on one or two songs. These days I'll give the whole thing a few goes at least.

I have seen several music experts say that if you don't like the music on the first listen then that first impression is correct. And that further listening sessions just makes you familiar to the music, which can make it comforting when you hear it, especially on the radio, since it's something you recognize, it's comforting. Not that the music is good.

I really don't like this POV, as often, I'll hear new things in a song that I never heard before on the first few listens. A sub harmony, or the way the singer sings a chorus/word etc.
Especially with Classical music, and even more so with Orchestral pieces. There can be so much going on that you don't always hear everything on the first few listening sessions.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I mean, if it's about clearly disliking something on the first listen, then sure, I almost certainly won't bother spending more time on it. But often I run into cases of uncertainty, where I need more time to evaluate it.

Then again, especially in the past, I've had artists and albums that I absolutely hated on the first try, because I didn't enjoy the style at all, but then changed my mind on later. I don't know how that plays into their equations.

• Like 1

This is normal, as I say the genre and style depends to the moment, mood or personal taste, we like music which armonize with our mood in this moment (Cannibal Corpse in a romantic dinner with the girlfriend isn't so good). But this we never can confuse with the quality of the music, that is complete independent from this. There are a lot of artists which I respect because of his art, but with a genre which I don't like much.

A good Example is a singer, Dimash,  which is going viral in YT and is considered the best voice in the world (6 Octaves until D8, out of the piano keyboard), I don't doubt it (the only who is capable to sing the Diva Dance of the 5th Element). But the romantic pop music isn't what I like much.

After watching the Thief documentation recommended by demagogue, I did a little research on the band "Tribe" from which three later worked at Looking Glass Studios (the guitar player, the girl on the keyboard and the the bass player):

Don't know whether they were too early or too late with this in the States, however, I am pretty sure they would have become more popular in Europe when they had been a German Gothic band doing that stuff between 1985 and 1995.

Edited by JackFarmer
  • Like 1