The Dark Mod Forums

Just Music You Like

JackFarmer

Well, I always liked the song "Talk" by Coldplay. The lyrics are about a man talking to his brother and worrying about the future and wanting to talk to him about it. I'm in my mid-twenties and autistic, and my brother in his late teens. Sometimes I feel like I don't hang out with him as much as I should, because when he was younger he looked up to me as funny and smart, knowing cool things and having a wacky sense of humor. But I guess over the years me and him grew apart despite living in the same home. I'm kept in the basement apartment and he has a second floor room of the 3 story house, so we don't get to speak much, especially since to "enable independence" my parents lock the door to my 1 room apartment to make it so i cant come upstairs uninvited. I miss back when me and my brother talked about things; like movies, video games, tv, myths and legends of monsters, and philosophy. So the song resonates with me.

No, it's a german expression, which means something like pain about the world or pain of the world, there isn't a direct translation.

https://qz.com/811186/weltschmerz-theres-a-german-word-people-use-in-times-of-despair-and-its-as-apt-today-as-it-was-in-the-19th-century/

Edited by Zerg Rush

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

But it was transferred to the English language and is used there, like other German words, e.g. kindergarten or schadenfreude. As a German I sometimes stumble on texts or shows that use such words and usually it takes a couple of seconds for me to realise that it was actually German 😅

• Like 1

German is the ancestor of many of today's northern European languages and is very rich in words and expressions. English is a language related to German, although very simplified in many respects. It is perhaps because of this, why it could be imposed as a universal language, even though it is only the third most used language after Chinese and Spanish.

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

3 hours ago, Zerg Rush said:

No, it's a german expression, which means something like pain about the world or pain of the world, there isn't a direct translation.

https://qz.com/811186/weltschmerz-theres-a-german-word-people-use-in-times-of-despair-and-its-as-apt-today-as-it-was-in-the-19th-century/

My mistake, my former post should have read:

Is "Weltschmerz" a word that made it into British English?

I have no doubt that this is a German word as I am from Bavaria, and we speak (what Amadeus as a Standard German speaker doubts! :) ) German language as well. ;)

However, I would not be able to give a clear defiinition for the word as I never really thought about its true meaning.

Moreover, it was new to me that Jean Paul (a famous writer from Franconia and thus a fellow countryman of Destined's) first coined it to describe something from Lord Byron's work.

But in the context with Charlie Watts' death I find it fitting - for lots of people around the globe and some of my die hard Stones fans friends the world has turned more depressing with his passing.

One more for Mr. Watts, the Stones' version of a Buddy Holly classic, could not find the excellent live version from the "Stripped" album, but this recording from 1994 comes quite close:

...and let me conclude my tribute with something from David Simon's Twitter feed:

Bild

Edited by JackFarmer
  • Like 1

Like everyone, I regret the death of Watts, there are already many of the old rockers of my generation who have left this world, many also at a young age, but others like Watts due to age.
Sad, but the world goes on and finally touches all of us, law of life.

Grief for those who die who have never lived

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zerg Rush said:

The oldest (symphonic)metallhead I know, in memoriam

Yeah Saruman was great before he got corrupted by the eye.

Jokes aside. What a great man he was!

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

2 hours ago, Zerg Rush said:

The oldest (symphonic)metallhead I know, in memoriam

Boy was I confused when I bought the SOEL 2 album back in the day, only to realize that version of this song only had Fabio on lead vocals. What a waste.

Speaking of legends, I've been listening to Susumu Hirasawa lately. This was a pretty funny live show he concocted.

I suppose it's like an evolution of a DJ gig, but just waving your hands at laser beams is very amusing to watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zerg Rush said:

Also good with the handpan

That instrument sounds so fucking good. I almost wish this track didn't have vocals, the handpan alone is so cool.

Klaus Schulze wasn't too bad either, the first track in particular was pretty good. May check some of his other discography out, not familiar. Thanks for sharing anyhow.

Edited by roygato