Jump to content
The Dark Mod Forums

Are aspiring Doom 3 mappers welcome here?


Sprony
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello everybody, I'm Sprony and I'm new here. I used to be very active in mapping communities (under the nickname Infernis) but I've been out of the game for a long time. Recently I ran into an old acquittance on Twitter from Doom3world and that made me nostalgic about the good old days. I have to say that I'm impressed with how far The Dark Mod has come. Thief has never been my sort of game, but I respect what you accomplished here.

As you all will certainly know, practically all Doom 3 editing communities are dead. I've found one that's still up, but it lacks activity. I've also found a Discord channel with some active users, but not much else. Point is, I'm itching to make something for Doom 3 again, but that will be difficult if there's no one around to bother with questions if you can't find the answer or figure it out yourself. So I wonder if an aspiring Doom 3 mapper is welcome here and if so, what's the appropriate forum to ask question about mapping or modding for Doom 3 specifically? I already have DarkRadiant installed and setup for Doom 3 (seeing as how the in-game editor doesn't like Windows 10 much).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome and I imagine that having experience in mapping and DarkRadiant, mapping for TDM may also interest you. As you may have noticed, TDM is, although based on stealth, it offers in the missions many varieties of genre that range from adventure, shooter, survival horror, platform practically the entire panorama of games, it depends solely on you and the mission you develop.

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, freyk said:

Thank you. I will post questions there and it's a relieve to find a community that's still active. 

1 hour ago, Zerg Rush said:

Welcome and I imagine that having experience in mapping and DarkRadiant, mapping for TDM may also interest you. As you may have noticed, TDM is, although based on stealth, it offers in the missions many varieties of genre that range from adventure, shooter, survival horror, platform practically the entire panorama of games, it depends solely on you and the mission you develop.

Yes, it has a lot going for it and the sky is the limit as they say. Also the amount of assets you can use is staggering. That's definitively interesting. However, I have a lot of unfinished stuff which was meant as an add on for Shambler's Castle. I want to try and finish that which also led me here, because it goes a bit beyond mapping (what I'm planning), so I'll surely end up with questions I'll need answers to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're pretty easy going, so I don't think there will be any problem.

Note that the Dark Mod engine has changed quite a bit from the Doom3 engine. Like if you looked at the source code, it's about quadruple the size of the Doom3 sourcecode. So that means some of the questions you ask might have different answers for Dark Mod than there would be for vanilla Doom3. Well, some core engine things like scripting, visportals, rendering errors, and the like I think may be similar enough. But other things like AI or any system unique to TDM will be completely different.

So you might have to take that into account. But it still might be better for you to ask your question here than anywhere, I suppose.

  • Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it would be cool of demons inspired by Doom 3 ones were to make an appearance in background lore as illustrations in a book of Demonology, and that they are summonable "When the Red Planet waxes strongest"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2021 at 2:38 PM, demagogue said:

We're pretty easy going, so I don't think there will be any problem.

Note that the Dark Mod engine has changed quite a bit from the Doom3 engine. Like if you looked at the source code, it's about quadruple the size of the Doom3 sourcecode. So that means some of the questions you ask might have different answers for Dark Mod than there would be for vanilla Doom3. Well, some core engine things like scripting, visportals, rendering errors, and the like I think may be similar enough. But other things like AI or any system unique to TDM will be completely different.

So you might have to take that into account. But it still might be better for you to ask your question here than anywhere, I suppose.

Does this mean your standalone version also addresses some common gripes with the engine like the absence of liquids (realistic water) and those hard pitch black areas that are especially apparent on rocky terrain?

On 7/20/2021 at 4:31 PM, Kurshok said:

I think it would be cool of demons inspired by Doom 3 ones were to make an appearance in background lore as illustrations in a book of Demonology, and that they are summonable "When the Red Planet waxes strongest"

Like a sort of crossover? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think water visualization changed since Doom 3.
There is definitely some game code about swimming, drowning (including drowning guards), but I won't call it too realistic.

However, some limits and glitches of the original Doom 3 have been removed or are being removed (like entity limit or visportal dmap bugs).
That's even talking about very basic things. The game stuff is very different (including entityDef-s).

As far as I remember, DarkRadiant specifically supports mapping for Doom 3 and Quake 4.

By the way, I think I managed run old in-game editors on TDM in Windows 10.
Not all of them, however.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recent Status Updates

    • STiFU

      I started skateboarding again after a 20 year hiatus. Whish me luck I don't break anything. 😄
      · 2 replies
    • freyk

      Some years earlier i created some launchers for TDM. uploaded today some new sourcecode and executables on my github repo.
       
      · 0 replies
    • Epifire

      Say, I know it's been a while since the site got overhauled from the crash. But did we ever figure out if/how to get the recent topics & replies list back? It's not a total deal breaker but it was nice for becoming a thread creeper again...


      · 2 replies
    • Epifire

      Some of you who've been on the TDM discord know I was out of work last Winter, just putting in hrs for the developer portfolio. Currently I've been working a seasonal job to pay the bills and now I'm finally in my last week before I get bumped off. Things will be tight but I'm planning a long off period to make as much content as I can. Big plans in Unreal Engine as well as my most ambitious TDM collab yet! Never been so excited to be a stuck at home to pursue my life's work. With a lotta time and maybe some luck, I'm hoping to get enough art work done that I may start applying around to studios.
      · 4 replies
    • STiFU

      I finally got around to play Prey and I truly loved it. It is an incredible homage to System Shock and Deus Ex. While the gameplay is not en par with those two titles, the game makes up for that with its well written lore and story. The whole "world" just feells so authentic and it features a ton of really god environmental story-telling. Recommended for every immersive sim fan, i.e., everyone on this forum.
      · 5 replies
×
×
  • Create New...