The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 2.13.0 released

One suggestion on Material Editor: by default it uses orange pulsing light_torchflame, which is probably the least useful choice when prototyping materials. It also reverts to it every time you close the window. I suggest either switching to atdm:light_base as a default, or making the editor remember the last used light type and color.

I figured most materials in TDM maps will be lit by sources that have a flame-like colour, so this resembles the final appearance best. But of course it doesn't offer a neutral view on the material which might be desirable too. I think remembering the value would be best, please feel free to open a tracker entry for that.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, greebo said:

I figured most materials in TDM maps will be lit by sources that have a flame-like colour, so this resembles the final appearance best. But of course it doesn't offer a neutral view on the material which might be desirable too. I think remembering the value would be best, please feel free to open a tracker entry for that.

Thanks for the update man. Yeah I second going with something more neutral just a good ole 50-75 percent bright white light. I appreciate being able to see them in context though.

Yup. A torch-like light might be good for a final preview, but for prototyping materials it's better to have neutral lighting without intensity changes. This way you can adjust things like specularity to avoid overblown highlights, etc. It's kinda like with photo studio lights, if it looks good there, it will look good in any lighting conditions. Thanks :)

On 8/10/2021 at 2:22 PM, IZaRTaX said:

Very nice thank you 👍 but in the "edit colour shemes" the brushes color doesn't save anymore when you quit DarkRadiant 😪

On 8/10/2021 at 6:20 PM, greebo said:

If it's reproducible, off to the tracker it goes! :)

Possibly related, I'm seeing this in the console on Linux:

XMLRegistry: Failed to save path /darkradiant/user/ui/colourschemes

More seriously, I'm getting a segfault on startup which so far only affects the package build, which makes it fun to debug. Unfortunately I only noticed this after uploading the build to Launchpad, which I then had to delete, leaving the 2.12 build missing as well (since it seems Launchpad only stores the latest release for each Ubuntu series).

EDIT: The failure to save colourschemes message looks like a red herring. I can change the colour scheme and the result is saved to the next session. Setting the brush colour does save, but for some reason brushes appear black in the next session until you open the Colour Schemes dialog, at which point they suddenly change to the correct colour.

EDIT2: Hopefully the segfault is fixed now. It seems that I did not have libgit2-dev installed, and for reason this caused the main application to crash rather than silently drop Git features. This still needs to be investigated since Git is optional, but at least I should be able to get a working package out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's definitely something weird going on the with colour schemes. I see the following:

• On first load of a map, brushes are black and light volumes are green (using the Super Mal colour scheme).
  • When I enter the Colour Schemes editor, brushes and light volumes suddenly change to the correct (possibly customised) colour.
  • At the point where the colours change, this appears in the console:
    Applying colour 0.988235 0.913725 0.309804 to eclass worldspawn
    Applying colour 0.678431 0.498039 0.658824 to eclass light

My guess is something has changed with respect to initialising the colour scheme system, maybe it has switched to lazy initialisation so the colour schemes are not applied until the dialog is first entered? Although I don't see any obvious relevant changes in the code; the last change to EClassColourManager was by me, six months ago.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've been noticing this also, but I just go to View->Colors and it corrects itself until next time I open DR.

No errors in my console though:

Auto-saving registry to user settings path.
ColourSchemeManager: Loading colour schemes...
ColourSchemeManager: Loading colour schemes...

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

• 4 weeks later...

The changelog is generated from the bugtracker, so only issues which have bugs logged will be in the changelog. Sometimes for really trivial changes like a single colour or icon tweak, I don't bother making a bugtracker entry (although really I should, it's just laziness on my part).

Yes, tracking all the things you work on into online forms is a tedious task that nobody likes, if not outright hates, myself included. Feels like needless bureaucracy invented by control freaks, and as such it feels like my natural enemy... but the only thing more tedious is to skim through dozens or hundreds of git commit messages to gather everything that's been changed in between releases, that's why I do it. And it's admittedly a nice feeling when you get to scratch something off a list when you're done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

@greebo I notice that the online manual on the official website (https://www.darkradiant.net/userguide/) is using the default AsciiDoc style, which is different from the asciidoctor style which I use on my Gitlab page (http://orbweaver.gitlab.io/DarkRadiant/). Is that a deliberate design choice, or just a consequence of the way the CI system is working?

Although the default style is perfectly readable, I feel it looks a bit like a 1998 GNU manual page, which is one of the reasons I switched to the more flexible asciidoctor for generating my Gitlab site. I also think that having the left-hand contents panel is useful for navigation in a large document. Of course styles are very personal and others may disagree on what looks best.

Definitely not a deliberate choice, I just ran the steps to generate the HTML from the AsciiDoc sources. It was a manual step (not handled by CI at all), and obviously I missed that there's a style to choose from in the first place. What's the preferred way to generate the HTML plus CSS?

On the Unix side it's trivial, because it's already handled as part of the CMake build process. Of course this does not help on Windows. The actual command is:

${ASCIIDOCTOR} -a stylesheet=manual.css -D ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR} ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/manual.adoc

The important part is the -a argument which allows the stylesheet to be overridden, whereas -D just specifies the output directory for the HTML file.

Asciidoctor itself appears to be Ruby-based and is installed via the Gem process.

On a related note, I merged your latest master branch into mine. Just to be safe, is there any WIP in there that needs more polish before it can go into a release? I'm somewhat running out of steam and plan to push the next major release out of the door, the changelog is large enough anyway.

On 10/29/2021 at 3:50 PM, greebo said:

On a related note, I merged your latest master branch into mine. Just to be safe, is there any WIP in there that needs more polish before it can go into a release?

Not that I can think of — assuming no unexpected bugs of course. All my recent work has been minor tweaks which stand on their own, plus internal refactoring (covered by unit tests so hopefully not breaking anything) and adding a few new tests for the projected light calculations.

• Thanks 1

• greebo unpinned this topic