The Dark Mod Forums

[ 2.10 ] New Frob Shader

duzenko

Hmm... it's not just edge case assets, but health potions and special arrows all have transparent components. Since the problems areas would be portions of a material which are fully transparent - not sure if there would be a way for the shader to tell the difference between those and say these types of glass surfaces?

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

• nbohr1more changed the title to [ 2.10 ] New Frob Shader
16 hours ago, STiFU said:

We have too many new frob shader threads. 😄 I count 2 public and 2 internal.

Most can't see the top secret ones which are for inner circle eyes only... 🧐

And frobbing is a pretty important mechanic which is hard to get right and is perceived to work pretty good in current stable by most players. So it is hard to improve.

If you want to know the real potential maximum count of frob highlight threads, just ship the depth-ignoring glow version to stable users.
A mere two really isn't that much... 😇

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your work and implementing all those different methods! I'm glad the feature is still working well by default in one form or another, that's what matters in my opinion. It will be nice to give the new one a test, will let you know what I think after that.

I very much like the new implementation! Sharper and more accurate in many ways. Unfortunately it will not help much with geometry reliant on alpha textures, that might look ugly for a handful of assets.

Only one issue I'm seeing so far: It's causing bright speckles at least with my bloom settings. If it's shader based the outline should probably be processed after bloom not before it.

nvdmfvi.jpg
sXTtmxe.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MirceaKitsune said:

Only one issue I'm seeing so far: It's causing bright speckles at least with my bloom settings.

nvdmfvi.jpg

I haven't tried this myself yet, but just looking at this screenshot makes me dislike it again. I don't know if this is due to your bloom settings or not, but do you see all the big white pixels in the almost vertical lines that look completely gamey? They kill the atmosphere big time!

Edited by wesp5

20 hours ago, wesp5 said:

I haven't tried this myself yet, but just looking at this screenshot makes me dislike it again. I don't know if this is due to your bloom settings or not, but do you see all the big white pixels in the almost vertical lines that look completely gamey? They kill the atmosphere big time!

r_froboutlinecolora 0

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

20 minutes ago, MirceaKitsune said:

Only one issue I'm seeing so far: It's causing bright speckles at least with my bloom settings. If it's shader based the outline should probably be processed after bloom not before it.

Wow, sparklies! 🤣

Yes, bloom is applied after outline, and most likely it will remain so.

You can set "r_frobOutlineColorA 2" instead of "r_frobOutlineColorA 5": the outline will still look hard, but I don't get these uberlights on highest bloom settings.
It can be fixed properly of course, allowing to reduce r_frobOutlineColorA down to 1, but that would need code fix.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

Wow, sparklies! 🤣

Yes, bloom is applied after outline, and most likely it will remain so.

You can set "r_frobOutlineColorA 2" instead of "r_frobOutlineColorA 5": the outline will still look hard, but I don't get these uberlights on highest bloom settings.
It can be fixed properly of course, allowing to reduce r_frobOutlineColorA down to 1, but that would need code fix.

Thanks: That would explain why I'm getting it with preset 1 whereas 2 mitigates it. I'd default the alpha to a lower value then if possible, the highlight is pretty solid anyway and less intensity may look better.

57 minutes ago, MirceaKitsune said:

I very much like the new implementation! Sharper and more accurate in many ways. Unfortunately it will not help much with geometry reliant on alpha textures, that might look ugly for a handful of assets.

nvdmfvi.jpg
sXTtmxe.jpg

This looks amazing! Now we just need some more pbr! So good!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can we have more scary Zombie Horror maps?

2 hours ago, stgatilov said:

This is (or soon will be) not an option, if you want to avoid the issue when an item is frobable but does not highlight at all.

What does that mean? Wasn't it planned to replace the frob-helper-option with a remove-outline-option anyway?

6 minutes ago, wesp5 said:

What does that mean? Wasn't it planned to replace the frob-helper-option with a remove-outline-option anyway?

The main plan is to remove frob-highlight stages from materials.

It seems that it is not possible to implement a universal rule for highlighting all objects. The current rule works fine in 99% cases, but there are some objects which don't react. The outline is here to help with these cases.

So... please stop saying "just disable outline!", don't ignore the problem.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stgatilov said:

It seems that it is not possible to implement a universal rule for highlighting all objects. The current rule works fine in 99% cases, but there are some objects which don't react. The outline is here to help with these cases.

So because of maybe 1% of objects we will get artifacts like in the attached screenshot for basically every door? And each highlighted object will show the blockyness of the models as if we are playing a retro shooter? What is the sense in that?

bakery_job_2021-10-11_21.56.25.jpg

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, stgatilov said:

The main plan is to remove frob-highlight stages from materials.

As the outline is the problem, "just disable outline!" actually is the fix. The old highlighting has its flaws in bright environments - but it still almost always worked just fine.
So the new highlighting but without the outline should work just fine as well.

Glad to see the outline back! I think it's great personally. I tested out the three presets and only seemed to run into bugs with the first one, like these boxes would periodically appear around bound items (in this case door knobs):

FirstNight_2021-10-11_17_03_13.thumb.jpg.363aa94c498d12455794b14694178396.jpg

FirstNight_2021-10-11_17_11_34.thumb.jpg.ddc26543cbb921de6e1f3eaca7d212e1.jpg

Couldn't get it to repeat on present 2 or 3 - which I would say as far as appearance I prefer both of those options over the hard outline of 1 anyhow. I am partial to the smoother falloff of the image based preset 3 as I think it looks the best and seemed to provide the most consistent results in my experience but I will keep testing as see if I run into anything.

I was also happy the see the base frob highlight seems to play much nicer on items with transparent components like gravestones or the potions I posted above. 

It can be very frustrating to discover you could not make an object interactable so I just want to say I really appreciate the effort towards covering everything!

• Like 1

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

I think this is a general issue with our bloom implementation.

I created a water material that also exhibited these types of artifacts.

I believe we need to ensure either input or output values are clamped so they do not go out-of-range.

We probably should cure this sooner than later because if I bump into artifacts with my own water

material chances are other mappers (etc) may bump into this issue as well.

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

8 hours ago, wesp5 said:

So because of maybe 1% of objects we will get artifacts like in the attached screenshot for basically every door? And each highlighted object will show the blockyness of the models as if we are playing a retro shooter? What is the sense in that?

Well... any outline will make mesh geometry more visible.

As for partly visible pixels: that's the price for respecting depth, I'm afraid.

5 hours ago, Abusimplea said:

So the new highlighting but without the outline should work just fine as well.

spawn atdm:moveable_flask1

Highlighting with plain white will make things look milky. Highlighting with diffuse texture does not work for some specular objects. There is no universal rule to highlight everything, I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, stgatilov said:

There is no universal rule to highlight everything, I'm afraid.

Still there should be an option to turn the outline off for those of us that want the better atmosphere and not the easy hightlights. After all with a little bit of experience you could probably figure out what to frob without any highlights...

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1