The Dark Mod Forums

No Honour Among Thieves v4 - EFX Edition

nbohr1more

So, the major things I saw were:

Spoiler

2.09 testing confirmed:

The optional Blacksmith Trinket objective.

This doesn't even render for me in 2.09? But I suppose it should render and trigger.

No damage in the optional Forest Manor trophy room. I guess that Biker may have seen all the hate for this puzzle and

decided to make it a decorative loot room? If so, he probably needs to revert that.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I don't think the mission needs to be pulled for these.

They are both optional and one isn't even shown in 2.09 so a new player would never know it was missing.

I pinged Biker about a hot-fix to address them though.

Oh wow that's really cool! As I'm trying to update my mission too in the near future and currently re-learning Dark Radiant I am especially curious to read what we're the obstacles you've encountered and if you've got some tips how to avoid them in the process.

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

On 8/19/2021 at 2:56 AM, SeriousToni said:

Oh wow that's really cool! As I'm trying to update my mission too in the near future and currently re-learning Dark Radiant I am especially curious to read what we're the obstacles you've encountered and if you've got some tips how to avoid them in the process.

Iterate iterate iterate. Don't expect to go from point a to z in one go.

Don't be afraid to throw away hours of work if not it's working out for you.

• Like 3

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Thanks for the update!

All three levels feel more immersive now - even though there are a lot of hovering objects and some z-fights (the biggest is the elevator platform in the warehouse in level two).

For best detectability of hovering objects, turn on ambient occlusion and crouch.

3 hours ago, Abusimplea said:

Thanks for the update!

All three levels feel more immersive now - even though there are a lot of hovering objects and some z-fights (the biggest is the elevator platform in the warehouse in level two).

For best detectability of hovering objects, turn on ambient occlusion and crouch.

If you see any remaining issues in the hotfix release, please post screen-shots to the beta thread:

Thanks!

Newest Hotfix release added to the original post:

Gdrive - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e_LHa4RdZ0a1AD3FhgLq7OwvBmWUchJZ/view?usp=sharing

Onedrive - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuwAFc1gTZzehn0z9PsAVEIH0iFn?e=Gj0p6O

( No critical fixes in this hotfix, just very minor fixes for small visual issues along with some further optimization )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

It would be nice if the game did not pass the lockpick sounds through the EFX. You can learn to accept that the guards can't hear the lockpicking, but when you hear it echoing across an entire courtyard, you are asking the player to learn an additional level of handwaving.

Have you considered a non-diegetic light for these doors (see attachment)? Even at 1.3 gamma, they are extremely dark and hard to spot.

nhat3_2021-09-22_22.36.54.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 8:41 PM, SuaveSteve said:

It would be nice if the game did not pass the lockpick sounds through the EFX. You can learn to accept that the guards can't hear the lockpicking, but when you hear it echoing across an entire courtyard, you are asking the player to learn an additional level of handwaving.

I was wondering if I could be the only person who always found this to be so strange.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

On 9/24/2021 at 2:41 PM, SuaveSteve said:

Have you considered a non-diegetic light for these doors (see attachment)? Even at 1.3 gamma, they are extremely dark and hard to spot.

nhat3_2021-09-22_22.36.54.jpg

1 hour ago, SeriousToni said:

I was wondering if I could be the only person who always found this to be so strange.

Tough call with this one. There is a no_efx keyword we could add to the sound shader:

lockpick_pin_00
{
    description "Made by phide"
    //sound/sfx/tools/lockpick/lockpick_pin_00.ogg

sound/sfx/tools/lockpick/lock_pick_chain_short_1a.ogg

no_efx
}

but that will make take away awareness of the environment.

I guess the solution is to lower the lockpick sound?

lockpick_pin_00
{
    description "Made by phide"
    //sound/sfx/tools/lockpick/lockpick_pin_00.ogg
    sound/sfx/tools/lockpick/lock_pick_chain_short_1a.ogg

volume -12

}

If you want to try either of these, create a sound subfolder in your "darkmod/fms/nhat3" and copy tdm_sfx_tools_lockpick.sndshd

into it then edit the definitions as above.

tdm_sfx_tools_lockpick.sndshd

( same file exists in your tdm_base01.pk4 I believe )

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, New Horizon said:

It would make sense to not pass lockpicking sounds to EFX.  They're not THAT loud that they should be echoing to that degree. lol

I agree. They're as much an auditory cue for the player as a sound in the environment, so they shouldn't echo for the same reason the thief's internal monologue shouldn't echo. Unless he has a big hollow skull or something.

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle