The Dark Mod Forums

Windows 11 will be officially released on October 5

Xolvix

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/08/31/windows-11-available-on-october-5/

It seems like a mostly incremental upgrade to Windows 10 along with some newer tech like Auto HDR and DirectStorage that wouldn't help me much since I play mostly older games on an older monitor. That said, it's a free upgrade and the plan is to start offering it via Windows Update to eligible machines in mid 2022, so you don't need to worry about waking up one day to find Windows 11 suddenly running after an unexpected update. Maybe worry about it in 2025 once Windows 10 reaches EOL.

Anyway, just a news update for anyone who cares. I'm still not sure what to think of Windows 11 so far, based on what I've seen/heard. I use a start menu replacement in Windows 10 anyway so any limitations arising from missed/changed functionality should hopefully not be too bothersome, but we'll see. I have a TPM on my motherboard but it's currently disabled in the BIOS, so it seems like I can probably prevent Windows 11's installation entirely if I want until I'm ready. Then again I might end up moving eventually to Linux, who knows. I've been threatening to do that since Vista, but it's never happened for longer than a week. :)

• Like 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

Although at the moment I do not recommend anyone to switch to Windows 11. It does not make sense to change from a matured Windows 10 that works perfectly to an OS that is currently still in beta phase and does not even have clear information on compatibility and operation available.
Windows 10 is still going to receive updates and support, at least until 2025 and this would be early enough to switch to Windows 11, which by then will have eliminated all possible bugs and childhood diseases.
Well, everyone should know that he want to be a beta tester, installing W11 in October.

• Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

You forgot wine, where proton is based of.

People, at the IT-company where i work for, have already installed the insiders version on their systems.
They and I are not complaining.

You try it yourself by:

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

I am starting to think more and more that switching to Win 10 was a mistake. The biggest advantage may be the addition of dark mode without any additional apps and the speed of booting.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

2 hours ago, Anderson said:

I am starting to think more and more that switching to Win 10 was a mistake. The biggest advantage may be the addition of dark mode without any additional apps and the speed of booting.

Why a mistake? W10 is a lot better than W7 in every aspect, faster, more secure and more estable. There also a lot of apps with which you can tweak Windows to your needs and change it to a SO which respect and protect your privacy.

For example from MS itself https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys

and https://modzero.github.io/fix-windows-privacy/

You can create GodMode to access all the possible settings in W10, you only need to create a folder and name it

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Another advantage of W10 apart from switch to Dark mode

Windows 10 brings by default the Windows Subsystem for Linux, a subsystem that, thanks to the Hyper-V hypervisor, allows us to run any distro, directly on the operating system. Include you'll find several distros in the MS Store.

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

2 hours ago, Zerg Rush said:

Why a mistake? W10 is a lot better than W7 in every aspect, faster, more secure and more estable. There also a lot of apps with which you can tweak Windows to your needs and change it to a SO which respect and protect your privacy.

For example from MS itself https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys

and https://modzero.github.io/fix-windows-privacy/

You can create GodMode to access all the possible settings in W10, you only need to create a folder and name it

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Another advantage of W10 apart from switch to Dark mode

Windows 10 brings by default the Windows Subsystem for Linux, a subsystem that, thanks to the Hyper-V hypervisor, allows us to run any distro, directly on the operating system. Include you'll find several distros in the MS Store.

System requirements are higher yet again. Generally, old, budget hardware needs the most simple OS because it tends to eat a lot of RAM especially.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

4 hours ago, Anderson said:

System requirements are higher yet again. Generally, old, budget hardware needs the most simple OS because it tends to eat a lot of RAM especially.

Not really, but W10 by default loads a lot of apps and services which you don't need, but use a lot of RAM (hibernation, file index the worst). But yes, in very old sistems it's better to use Linux. Q4OS is a good choice for Windows user, with an UI very similar to W7 and it has a own installer, so you don't need to make an CD/Pendrive with an ISO, You can download the setup and run it like any other app and select if you use only the Distro or in dualboot with Windows.

• Like 1

not every aspect, true it should be more secure but faster than 7 ?!? not really, it all depends on what hardware you have ofc. And the only reason some hardware runs 10 faster than 7 was that 7 had a rather immature version of the new uefi bootloader, install the bootloader from win8 (yes it does work with 7) and watch 10 get its ass handed to it. The addition of wsl and the ability to run distros directly from within the OS was a major win for win10 though, but you can only run the console applications by default because windows 10 lacks the X11 window manager. You can install this yourself (vcxsrv) and a few of the gui elements do indeed run but dont expect the linux desktop to suddenly appear 😅.

• Like 1

Well, I don't have exactly a NASA computer either, but a € 350 laptop. Between pressing the power button and trolling in this forum, about 45 seconds pass and the responses from the system are practically instantaneous. Ok, the SSD also contributes.
The system must already be really old, so that Win10 does not work (in this case it is better to go directly to Linux anyway.), if even tablets work well with it.
Regarding Linux, there is a difference between installing the distro on Windows, with Windows still running in the background or installing it independently on a separate partition, both things are possible, in the second case each OS is independent of the other. It is also the case of using Linux from a Life CD / Pendrive.

But yes, Windows 10, especially on computers with limited resources, requires a previous configuration, throwing out all the crap that it brings by default, so that it works fluently as it should.

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Like 1

compared win7 standard uefi bootloader about 45 secs here to with the win8 bootloader it starts in 3 secs Oo booting win10 takes allmost the same as 7 with the old bootloader atleast on my machine which is pretty old > 10 years.

It still has enough horsepower to run even the latest games without sacrificing to much, unfortunatly my R9 390 went up in flames 😖 so now im stuck with an 970 gtx with half the ram though it does an ok job but on some of the later game titles i cant crank up the resolution because of it.

luckily i can get a tpm module for my board so win11 is a possibility down the road but im perfectly ok running 10 untill all the bugs are squashed (there are allways bugs hehe)

I was referring to starting the Laptop (cold boot), entering the PIN, being connected to the network, opening the browser and this forum ~45s.

If you has a reduced RAM, you can help a little bit with the ReadyBoost function of Windows.

37 minutes ago, Zerg Rush said:

If you has a reduced RAM, you can help a little bit with the ReadyBoost function of Windows.

USB flash drive sticks are so unrealiable. They often break unexpectedly or get corrupted for a million reasons. Either due to cold, or not safe ejecting when it's annoying still in use.

I think it's just easier to learn Linux than use this workaround.

badge?user=andarson

Microsoft is going to have a huge problem with this update.

I have been trying for months to get the preview builds installed on 3 computers that pass all the checks, but it fails each time.

Some people have had to unplug all their extra hard drives because the installer is having issues detecting which drive the OS is installed to. Some people have had to unplug ALL USB devices etc.

I've tried everything, haven't had any luck.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

29 minutes ago, Anderson said:

USB flash drive sticks are so unrealiable. They often break unexpectedly or get corrupted for a million reasons. Either due to cold, or not safe ejecting when it's annoying still in use.

I think it's just easier to learn Linux than use this workaround.

Ready boost works well in old PC, but yes, unplug itwhen it is working is = BSOD.

In current distros there is nothing to learn, it's not so intuitiv as Windows, but enough to use it from the first moment without problems. The mencioned Q4OS is very similar to Windows, diferences only in some file handligs in the explorer and diferent extensions of the files. Secundary things also for an newbee.

1 minute ago, AluminumHaste said:

I have been trying for months to get the preview builds installed on 3 computers that pass all the checks, but it fails each time.

Some people have had to unplug all their extra hard drives because the installer is having issues detecting which drive the OS is installed to. Some people have had to unplug ALL USB devices etc.

As I say, not recomended to install Windows 11 until its needed. Always are in beta and full of bugs. Stay with Win10 until its not longer supported is the best. I do so.

5 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

I WANT to test it, and help them find bugs, it's why I'm in the dev channel.

Eh, they don't really care about us. If they had, they'd make Windows open source.

badge?user=andarson

1 hour ago, AluminumHaste said:

Aye that has been a problem since uefi even with win8 and worse in 10, windows has allways had a nasty way with there filesystem but it became a real nightmare when the bootloader defaulted to another partition it would sometimes screw up and put it on an ass slow mechanical harddisk instead of the drive the "C:" partition was on 🤢

7 hours ago, AluminumHaste said:

I WANT to test it, and help them find bugs, it's why I'm in the dev channel.

MS has an army of well paid developers in full time job. Launching Win11 now has more economic and advertising reasons than anything else. You are not a beta tester if you install it now, but rather a guinea pig for them.

It would be different if Windows were OpenSource with a small team, there it would be indicated to give them a hand as a developer or beta tester.

They want to launch W11 in octubre, but until it's a stable and mature OS you can wait until 2023. Until then you'll have 2 updates and regresions every week, secure.

• Like 1