Christmas "Connections" Contest 2021 - [ Winner "Iris" ]

nbohr1more

Connections Contest Vote Format  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Story Quality and Theme ( Stars )

2. 2. Gameplay Quality ( Stars )

3. 3. Visual Quality ( Stars )

Oooo! A new contest. Count me in.

I'll put my current mission on hold for a while and get started on this. I already have a few ideas...

Regarding the bonus points for using new stuff, is it possible to earn all 23 points or do you intend to cap it somehow?

Edited by thebigh
question
  • Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Good luck with the contest, but I think the first post could do with some formatting. It looks like it was copy-pasted from a text document with hard line-breaks and multiple empty lines, making it somewhat difficult to read.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

Good luck with the contest, but I think the first post could do with some formatting. It looks like it was copy-pasted from a text document with hard line-breaks and multiple empty lines, making it somewhat difficult to read.

I think this is a @taaaki comment since I used the native poll creation feature. That said, it would probably look better to write out One Star, Two Starts etc given the current design.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

4 hours ago, thebigh said:

Regarding the bonus points for using new stuff, is it possible to earn all 23 points or do you intend to cap it somehow?

The bonus cap will be:

Two feature awards ( based on the highest two TDM versions used ) ( added to either game-play or visuals )

One asset award ( based on the highest used TDM version ) ( added to visuals )

One "Connection" award ( based on voting for how connected the mission is to other missions 1 - 5 ) ( added to story )

So 6+5+2+5 = 18 perfect votes biasing the average.

Side note: One easy thing to add to get a feature score is to add an EFX 2.0 reverb definition as that was added in 2.07

• Like 2

My body wants to participate, but I don't know if my mind will join in. I am working on my main mission yes, but a part of me would like to start a new one, better planned from scratch. The positive thing would be to do just that, set goals from the beginning and create a nice, small mission... But will my energy be burnt and the main mission set on too much hold? Too bad prior work isn't allowed ;)

On a side note, definitely not to sound cocky, but isn't it too easy to rake in all extra points just by adding a few extra, random models here and there from every new version? I don't know from memory exactly what model is from which update but aren't there at least one small and unassuming piece of the world in each? 

I think the added asset should have at least some significance to the story to count. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DeTeEff said:

On a side note, definitely not to sound cocky, but isn't it too easy to rake in all extra points just by adding a few extra, random models here and there from every new version?

It does seem like the scoring is going to be from 21 to 33 instead of from 3 to 15.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Assets from 2.10 you say... Seems scary to add stuff from an not-yet-released version? How do people go around that? Do they install two separate versions of the game? I feel like I'm the only non-computer guy here 🤨

As a side note, what features are available in 2.09? I see a bunch of coding fixes and assets but no direct "feature" Maybe I'm just tired from night shift...

I can see mr Bohr's steamy eyes wanna lure me into this ❤️ I want to, but I don't know if my main mission would love to be put aside again...I hope it's not mandatory for a contenstant to announce their participation in this thread? One could lurk with a mission and poke around in DR and when you feel you're having something to come up with, you chime in, right?

23 minutes ago, DeTeEff said:

My body wants to participate, but I don't know if my mind will join in. I am working on my main mission yes, but a part of me would like to start a new one, better planned from scratch. The positive thing would be to do just that, set goals from the beginning and create a nice, small mission... But will my energy be burnt and the main mission set on too much hold? Too bad prior work isn't allowed ;)

On a side note, definitely not to sound cocky, but isn't it too easy to rake in all extra points just by adding a few extra, random models here and there from every new version? I don't know from memory exactly what model is from which update but aren't there at least one small and unassuming piece of the world in each? 

I think the added asset should have at least some significance to the story to count. 

The objective is to get mappers to use newer features.

The Asset bonus is capped to 2 perfect votes averaged into the visual score. I was considering only awarding bonus points for code features ( game-play, visuals ) but the Asset bonus allows mappers to decide (risk) only to use one code feature or none at all and still have a little buffer against others who use them.

Hopefully the vote participation will be high so that the bonus bias won't be too exaggerated anyway. ( I may need to add a scaling factor if 18 additional votes is half or more of the overall vote participation. )

I ask you to consider joining the fray as you always add stellar submissions to contests! :)

Otherwise, please consider joining "in spirit" and adding story connections and 2.07+ features to your WIP and targeting the 2.10 release window.

There is no obligation to declare your participation before submitting your entry.

Yes, for 2.10 features players will need to install a 2.10 Dev Build or Beta version:

https://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?/topic/20824-public-access-to-development-versions/

they can either use this as the primary TDM install or install it separately.

As for 2.09 "features"?

You're right, I guess I should say "feature" as the only player exposed feature is the new physics based particle setup:

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Particle_collisions_and_cutoff

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

I think this is a @taaaki comment since I used the native poll creation feature. That said, it would probably look better to write out One Star, Two Starts etc given the current design.

I'm referring to the first post in the thread, not the poll itself. Is it really supposed to look like this:

1410922511_Screenshotfrom2021-09-2116-21-24.png.5dfa6e673682260855983d61c0fccbbb.png

Perhaps it's just a problem on my particular browser/OS combination.

• Like 1

It looks like that to me as well.

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Live the idea of the contest!! Very good!

14 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

I'm referring to the first post in the thread, not the poll itself. Is it really supposed to look like this:

1410922511_Screenshotfrom2021-09-2116-21-24.png.5dfa6e673682260855983d61c0fccbbb.png

Perhaps it's just a problem on my particular browser/OS combination.

Nbohr's posts always look like this these days and I always wonder how he does it. @nbohr1more do you write your posts in some other editor and perform manual linebreaks (and maybe even have different lineendings than what the forum expects)?

Edit: I just copy pasted the post to notepad++ and enabled showing of whitespace characters. What are you doing there mate? 🙂

image.thumb.png.e7b890a12ee40b67dcea45c4c2b8177e.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, STiFU said:

Edit: I just copy pasted the post to notepad++ and enabled showing of whitespace characters. What are you doing there mate? 🙂

Better use your browsers inspect function.
But there indeed are paragraphs consisting of only a non-breaking space between the lines.

I too wonder, why nbohr1more did the extra work leading to a longer and less readable post.

On 9/21/2021 at 6:50 AM, nbohr1more said:

You are only free to create "official sequel" missions for a series if you either created that series or have approval from it's author.

For example, should you decide to create a new Chronicles of Skullduggery mission and call it "COS 4: Sneaky Snacks" chances

are that Bienie would not approve of this unofficial sequel and we could not host it or allow it to compete.

I don't know about approval, but it would definitely give me a good chuckle! 🤣

Exciting that there is a new contest out, haven't had one of these in a long time! I like the theme of connecting storylines too. We'll see if I have time to participate, been rather quiet from me lately unfortunately, but I am well on my way creating a prequel to the CoS trilogy. If all goes smoothly with that perhaps I will have time to flesh out an unreleased 3-mini mission campaign I've put on the shelf for this contest, but I would definitely have to put my nose to the proverbial grindstone to make the deadline.

• Like 4

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

On 9/22/2021 at 12:49 PM, STiFU said:

Some time ago I also got excessive linebreaks on the forums, although in my case whole lines were never broken into pieces, just the newlines that I put became way longer. I could remove them after-the-fact by editing my post twice. In the end I noticed that I accidentally disabled javascript via browser extension. I enabled it back, and now everything works perfectly.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2021 at 8:49 AM, STiFU said:

Live the idea of the contest!! Very good!

Nbohr's posts always look like this these days and I always wonder how he does it. @nbohr1more do you write your posts in some other editor and perform manual linebreaks (and maybe even have different lineendings than what the forum expects)?

I think I first noticed it here https://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?/topic/20169-the-history-of-bloom/&do=findComment&comment=446309

It looks rather cool, mostly because he's a no-nonsense person and his formatting kinda underscores that in my mind

I know of at least one other mapper who intends to participate.

As for myself, I'd like to participate - I quite like the idea of connections - but my participation is uncertain given what other projects I might take on in real life up until Christmas. Also need to do some more work on some of the new 2.10 features, specifically finishing (security camera overhaul) and documenting (xrays) them. Furthermore, we should have a list of what was added in recent versions.

If it works out, I do have an idea for what I could build, just need to find something to connect to.

• Like 3

On 9/22/2021 at 12:39 PM, Bienie said:

but I am well on my way creating a prequel to the CoS trilogy

Oooh, can't wait! 🤩 Luv your missions, and hold dear my memories from a great time while beta-testing your CoS3: Sacricide - fingers crossed for your creativity during the contest! 🤞

Edited by Mezla
  • Like 2

Join the contest Mezla! The more the merrier. :)

• Like 1

A House Call

The House of deLisle