The Dark Mod Forums

Christmas "Connections" Contest 2021 - [ Winner "Iris" ]

nbohr1more

Connections Contest Vote Format  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Story Quality and Theme ( Stars )

2. 2. Gameplay Quality ( Stars )

3. 3. Visual Quality ( Stars )

@Jedi_Wannabe thank you for the consideration. It will be up to the other authors to decide if you can join but I hope they all agree to it. :) I can understand if they decline though.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

3 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

@Jedi_Wannabe thank you for the consideration. It will be up to the other authors to decide if you can join but I hope they all agree to it. :) I can understand if they decline though.

I can understand too 😁 and agree with what the masses decide.

Either way, I finally released, and that’s all I wanted, to put something out for folks to play. I’ll be happy no matter what.

Good luck to all!

• Like 1

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

Bring Jedi on too! For me, at least, the whole point of the contest was to have fun creating something under a deadline. I think the more contestants we have the better! Bring him onboard

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Bring Jedi on too! For me, at least, the whole point of the contest was to have fun creating something under a deadline. I think the more contestants we have the better! Bring him onboard

Amadeus knows all the woes of my Duke Nuke’Em Forever dev cycle, haha. How many times did I push my personal deadline back? 10 times over the past two years?!

I personally am happy with what everyone decides either way. While I was aware in the back of my mind the contest was happening, I’ve been oblivious up until today what’s been talked about.  Seeing the influx of betas over the past few months did help light a fire under my ass to push my map out, so thanks for that.

But I’m not here for fame or glory, simply making and releasing a map and having anybody at all play it and enjoy it is already a 10+yr long dream come true for me ❤️

Edited by Jedi_Wannabe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am fine deferring to the other authors if they have no concerns, but if there is any concern at all about fairness in Iris being submitted, which is the impression I got from that original post, allowing it to participate in the contest mechanically, but not be eligible to win seems like a good middle ground to me as far helping out the community vs keeping the contest fair.

Again I am not invested in the outcome of the contest, but am invested in the Dark Mod and am just happy we are getting so many great missions to play and that I could finally get mine out!

• Like 4

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

To be honest contests are first and foremost there to get people to enjoy mapping together, the contest result is inconsequential (though Id definitely say the contest mechanism is an important part of the experience). We've already got a multi-author FM in a mostly single-author contest that literally builds on a released mission - so I think that ship has sailed.

Let's let all join who submit missions before voting ends. My only conditions would be that each FM describes:

1) what other FMs their story connects to

2) what new TDM features were used, if any

• Like 2

I might have liked the contest to have been a bit more structured and with fewer changes during the contest, but the goal is to showcase 2.10 so I understand why the contest part is almost secondary.

Perhaps the next contest could be another speedbuild or unusual gameplay contest, with more solid criteria.

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Wicked awesome.

Is there anything else I need to declare about my map, or is the summary notes in my linked thread in the OP enough for y’all?

Thanks guys.

• 1 month later...

Everyone, remember to get your votes in while you still can!

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

I have collected the raw scores and applied corrections where votes were mistakenly placed according to the threads.

I still need to calculate the weighted scoring ( gameplay has a 3x weight, etc ) and ensure that the features bonus votes are restricted to 30% of the votes.

Anyway, I am being kicked off my PC for now so if someone wants to calculate the scoring early here are the raw scores:

Connection_Contest_ Raw.txt

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• nbohr1more changed the title to Christmas "Connections" Contest 2021 - [ Winner "Iris" ]

Congratulations @Wellingtoncrab, and all the contestants.

• Like 2

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Congratulations, Wellingtoncrab! I, along with so many others, remain astounded that this was your first release, and I dearly hope you are able and willing to continue. 

I think the biggest winner, however, was the entire community, because we get to play all these wonderful FMs. Thank you, mission authors, thank you so very much!

• Like 2

I like reading your moddb writeups. They're well written and informative. Makes me wish I was good at writing longer documents.

• Like 1

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Congratulations @Wellingtoncrab

Your mission is absolutely incredible, one of the most refined and well built city missions in the entirety of TDM (imo). The visual fidelity, style and gameplay flow is absolutely top notch and while I did enjoy every entry in this contest, I thought yours did stand out as the top of the bunch!

• Like 3