The Dark Mod Forums

64-bit Linux Installer is unable to download installation files (updater can't get latest version of itself, can't download manifest files)

Bridge

Hi,

I'm trying to install the latest release version of TDM on Gentoo Linux (and I'm aware that there is an unofficial ebuild but I prefer to keep the number of third-party repositories to an absolute minimum). Anyway, it seems to be impossible for the installer to receive any data at all, except for the config file. If however I check the "Skip installer self-update" option in Advanced Settings it attempts to download manifest files for all the release versions but doesn't receive any of them (curl error 56 - Failure in receiving network data). If I try to download any of these files manually using a browser, the browser complains that the source files can't be read.

It doesn't seem to be a problem on my end. Kind of seems like the files are simply not publicly accessible but I'm not sure. Enclosed is the complete log file for reference.

tdm_installer_1634569973.log

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bridge said:

Anyway, it seems to be impossible for the installer to receive any data at all, except for the config file.

I confirm that it downloads config file successfully, but fails to download installer zip and versions manifests.
Why it allows to download a small text file, but fails on zip file?

If however I check the "Skip installer self-update" option in Advanced Settings it attempts to download manifest files for all the release versions but doesn't receive any of them (curl error 56 - Failure in receiving network data).

The interesting thing is that it fails the same way for all the 5 mirrors we have.
So this is surely not a problem of our mirrors.
Note that we don't have any central dispatcher or similar stuff: the problem is either in the installer, or your machine, or something on the network from you to the internet.

If I try to download any of these files manually using a browser, the browser complains that the source files can't be read.

I think the installer can be ruled out

All the files are directly downloadable in the browser or with curl command.
In fact, you can try to reproduce the error with standalone curl tool, just try to execute strings prefixes with [curl-cmd] in the log, e.g.:

curl http://update.thedarkmod.com/zipsync/tdm_installer.linux64.zip -r 0-127 -Y 1000 -y 10 --connect-timeout 10 -A "tdm_installer/1.09" -o out0.bin
curl http://mirror.mstrmnds.me/releases/zipsync/release/release203_from_release202/manifest.iniz -r 0-127 -Y 1000 -y 10 --connect-timeout 10 -A "tdm_installer/1.09" -o out5.bin

If it fails with independent curl tool, then it's not the installer to blame.

It doesn't seem to be a problem on my end. Kind of seems like the files are simply not publicly accessible but I'm not sure. Enclosed is the complete log file for reference.

Most likely it is a problem on your end.
I don't believe all 5 mirrors are misbehaving at once, and you can reproduce the problem without using installer (i.e. with browser).
Could it be some kind of firewall/antivirus blocking binary or large files but allowing text or small files to pass?

Meanwhile, you can try to download 2.09a with attached torrent, although the torrent file points to the same HTTP mirrors (aka web seeds) and is not tracked. It is quite likely that your torrent client won't work for the same reason.

release209a.torrent

9 hours ago, stgatilov said:

If it fails with independent curl tool, then it's not the installer to blame.

release209a.torrent 38.3 kB · 0 downloads

I tried doing the invocations manually, of course, also tried excluding the range argument, omitting the user-agent string, etc. Same result.

Most likely it is a problem on your end.
I don't believe all 5 mirrors are misbehaving at once, and you can reproduce the problem without using installer (i.e. with browser).

It would be far-fetched, I agree.

Could it be some kind of firewall/antivirus blocking binary or large files but allowing text or small files to pass?

No, I doubt it, I don't manage the network here but I already consulted with the person that does and there doesn't seem to be any reason for this traffic to be blocked. Also, if I upload the installer to a git repo I can fetch it using the exact same curl invocation the installer does, no issues.

Networking is not my forte but I tried analyzing the network traffic between my computer and thedarkmod.com's public IP address when trying to download the installer. The exact sequence of events is: after the handshake is completed, I send a GET request for the installer, and the server immediately sends back a TCP response with the reset flag set, and then nothing.

It's a little bit more complicated when I try to get the manifest files from the mirrors, it actually starts to send some of the data but eventually the server resets the connection and the file transfer fails.

Weird part is that if I send a request to the server manually for example

GET /zipsync/tdm_installer.linux64.zip HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: update.thedarkmod.com\r\n

Then it doesn't close the connection immediately but sends me 1.5 MB of data first. Unfortunately that's not the whole zip file so it does in fact decide to cut me off at some point.

EDIT: Seems to have something to do with the byte ranges, like you said, if I omit that from the curl invocation without changing anything else then I also get almost the whole thing. I can download the file on my phone so it does seem to be just my computer, or my (wired) connection, though I'm not sure what. So not a server problem. Not quite sure what the issue is. Anyway, no need to waste time thinking about this if nobody else is experiencing it and I managed to get the files another way.

Edited by Bridge

On 10/19/2021 at 6:28 AM, stgatilov said:

I suppose this is 2.09 original release.
Is there 2.09a hotfix on moddb?

It doesn't seem like it. Also, the current 2.09 full download does include the linux installer ( tdm_installer.linux64 ), but not the Windows one ( tdm_installer.exe ), so Windows users have to download the separate installer and dump it in their install folder. I think @nbohr1moredid the uploads there, so maybe he can upload the newer version?