The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 2.14.0 pre-release test

6 hours ago, Deep said:

well that was hard to tell as the zoom increments were massive in 2.14

There's a debug build available at https://github.com/codereader/DarkRadiant/actions/runs/1418115065 where I adjusted the scrolling code again. Maybe this is behaving better for you, if you care to try it? The version is called 2.14.0_revae1144b.

• Thanks 1

greebo you did it! Thank you, the scrolling is perfect. The zooming on cursor is perfect. You've kept the zoom to edit at .125 as well.

I'd say it's the perfect version 🤩 Thank you man!

• Thanks 1

Yer the nicest func_mover I've ever met.

I'm really enjoying using the improved Texture Tool, and I've noticed a few other minor polish items:

• The selection of dark/light mode gets lost when you deselect and select a face.  This one actually can get annoying if you're texturing several faces with something that's only usable in the opposite mode, or selecting/deselecting/tweaking something several times to see how it looks.
  • There doesn't seem to be a limit on how far you can zoom in or out.  Not a practical issue but I'm not sure how far you would go before crashing or getting side effects from a lack of precision.
  • You already took care of the grid not getting small enough, thanks for anticipating this one 🙂

If you're considering additional features, having a free scale button that lets you drag the corners to scale might be easier than using the panel on the right side in some cases, and it would complement the free rotate feature.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jonri said:

The selection of dark/light mode gets lost when you deselect and select a face.  This one actually can get annoying if you're texturing several faces with something that's only usable in the opposite mode, or selecting/deselecting/tweaking something several times to see how it looks.

It's trying to auto-detect the mode. If the texture is brighter than 50% on average, the dark theme is set. I can make the auto-detect feature optional.

5 hours ago, jonri said:

There doesn't seem to be a limit on how far you can zoom in or out.  Not a practical issue but I'm not sure how far you would go before crashing or getting side effects from a lack of precision.

Never tried to go to infinity, but I guess you're right :)

5 hours ago, jonri said:

If you're considering additional features, having a free scale button that lets you drag the corners to scale might be easier than using the panel on the right side in some cases

Please add a tracker entry.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, greebo said:

It's trying to auto-detect the mode. If the texture is brighter than 50% on average, the dark theme is set. I can make the auto-detect feature optional.

It does OK a lot of the time, the two exceptions I found are textures with both light and dark sections being used as trim sheets, and metal textures that are probably right around that 50% mark:

Spoiler

Detected as light mode, the higher contrast actually makes it harder to see the texture:

light.thumb.jpg.d980ae9dffba8e5997a9672542956b72.jpg

Spoiler

It was easier to align the texture with the details in dark mode:dark.thumb.jpg.0a7fe55445d10f1d5ca1e5163579ee6b.jpg

I think a button next to the light/dark modes to toggle auto-detection would be perfect, so you can temporarily disable it while you're working with such textures.  I'll add 2 feature requests to the tracker.

On 11/4/2021 at 5:35 AM, greebo said:

There's a debug build available at https://github.com/codereader/DarkRadiant/actions/runs/1418115065 where I adjusted the scrolling code again. Maybe this is behaving better for you, if you care to try it? The version is called 2.14.0_revae1144b.

I downloaded the portable version from this link and the X/Y zooming is broken for me - it zoomes out to the left and zooms in to the right, rather than on the cursor or to the center. I'm also on Win7. The zoom speed seems about the same to me, no complaints there.

edit: holding shift while zooming is working fine btw.

PS. I notice that at least that build doesn't have bilinear texture filtering in the 3D view. Is that intended? I don't mind but it's not the same as the old version (I'm still back on 2.11).

EDIT 2: Haha, guess what? The zoom-to-cursor looks to be working correctly on the Dockable Window Layout, when the orthoview is on the left side of the screen or when it's fullscreen, with the camera and entity pane undocked/floating. Please test it with different Window Layouts and drag it to different parts of your monitor(s) if you have multiple. The problem's gotta be connected to something there, that's my hunch.

Edited by Spooks

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

1 hour ago, Spooks said:

I downloaded the portable version from this link and the X/Y zooming is broken for me - it zoomes out to the left and zooms in to the right, rather than on the cursor or to the center. I'm also on Win7. The zoom speed seems about the same to me, no complaints there.

edit: holding shift while zooming is working fine btw.

I couldn't track down where this is coming from. I'm on Dockable layout all the time, and I tried what you suggested, but it's always working. I made the cursor-centered-scrolling an option in the most recent builds (like here), so you can switch it off. Still baffling what might cause this, maybe we'll find out some time.

1 hour ago, Spooks said:

PS. I notice that at least that build doesn't have bilinear texture filtering in the 3D view. Is that intended? I don't mind but it's not the same as the old version (I'm still back on 2.11).

I didn't change anything in that area at all. @OrbWeaver, have there been any changes to texture filtering?

9 hours ago, greebo said:

I didn't change anything in that area at all. @OrbWeaver, have there been any changes to texture filtering?

Looks like a mistake in RGBAImage — the mipmap generation code has been modified, but the setting of GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR is completely missing, which means (I believe) that the generated mipmaps do nothing and there is only basic nearest-neighbour filtering 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

• greebo unpinned this topic