The Dark Mod Forums

TDM 2.10 lock picking intermittent bug - Briarwood Manor - Stewards locked door

cvlw

TDM 2.10/64 #9627  //  Briarwood Manor

Hello TDM crew.

I think I have encountered a 2.10 bug.  It appears to be intermittent.  This is/was not an issue on 2.09.

I am running Briarwood Manor on 2.10.  I had just run this map multiple times on 2.09.

One difference, though is the map shows "Briarwood Manor 1.81" in the title on 2.09 and just "Briarwood Manor" on 2.10.  I have no idea what that might mean.

At one point, I was at the Steward's room door attempting to pick the lock with the Triangle lockpick.  The pick seemed to engage, start picking, then quickly disengage, repeatedly, without progressing the picking. I was crouched right up next to the door aimed at the door handle, so, I wasn't having a distance disengagement issue.

Closing and reloading the game (to a save prior to the door) allowed the pick to work normally.  Thus, I suspect this is intermittent which is, of course, simply the BEST type of bug to have!

I managed to capture a video of the problem when it happened.  The file is too large to send in this bug.

It *seems* as if the initial attempt has to be almost perfectly centered, then, if the player moves, it disengages the picking.  I don't recall that happening on 2.09; I was able to move a bit and keep the pick engaged.

3 hours ago, datiswous said:

You do have to register before uploading afaik.

Yes, but it's free

Alternatively you can use GoFile, it's free, without register and for any filetypes https://gofile.io/welcome

Great for sharing is also what I use, O&O File Direct, it's P2P (from PC direct to other PC, without host in the middle), free, easy to use, anonimous, no limits in size, number or type of files, but the app is only for Windows. https://www.oo-software.com/en/filedirect (Made in Germany)

Need to be whitelisted in the Firewall of Windows, and the file or files can't be in a protected folder, which is logical. Naturally you must be online so that the recipient can download the file.

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

I just uploaded to GoFile, so the file is temporary.  It won't play in GoFile directly, but it can be downloaded and played local (VLC is what I use).

https://store1.gofile.io/download/d7a8f4e4-a2df-4e48-a0eb-1753acc27909/2021-11-01 14-45-14.mp4

I approach the door, attempt the pick with the repeated engagement/disengagement, try to switch picks and fail, switch back and get the same disengagement effect.

4 hours ago, datiswous said:

Yes you do have to make an account first, but maybe not in Germany, I don't know..

I'm in the UK and it's the same for me. The "Get started" link takes you straight to a login page before you can do anything else.

Same for me in Streemable, well, anyway it's free and sometimes this sites change the TOS, when they want to limit the amount of uploads-

The link of the downloadin  the GoFile say it's not a public file. That means, if you want to share a file, you must declare it as public. It seems that he has forgotten to do it.

Because of all this crap of the Sharesites, I stay witth File Direct, I open the app, put the files I want, can put the amount of permitted downloads and valid days or/and put a password, it gives me the download link which I share. I never lose the control over the files, I can even interrupt a download in any moment, no need putting them in a host, which may change the TOS or may delete the files after some time.

The best alternative to File Direct is Arbore (still in beta), which works also in Linux. It include also a Chat P2P, the diference is, that you only can share the link via mail of your contacts in the list.

This one maybe can be interesting for our devs to share information out of the public eyes.

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

I reuploaded the small video.  There is apparently a difference between uploading a file in "My Files" versus the "Upload Files" main link.  I used the My Files which apparently is the private link.

https://gofile.io/d/X5IEU1

I verified this is accessible via another browser which showed the "private" message on the previous file.

Sorry about that.

Yes, but it's only sound, no image (I tried in several browsers), maybe steemable is better for this typoe of files. The account is free and only needs Mail and Password, it delete the vids un the free account, when they are not viewed in 90 days.

Try also Streemja, there is no account needed. 

Edited by Zerg Rush

On 11/1/2021 at 9:26 PM, cvlw said:

At one point, I was at the Steward's room door attempting to pick the lock with the Triangle lockpick.  The pick seemed to engage, start picking, then quickly disengage, repeatedly, without progressing the picking. I was crouched right up next to the door aimed at the door handle, so, I wasn't having a distance disengagement issue.

Closing and reloading the game (to a save prior to the door) allowed the pick to work normally.  Thus, I suspect this is intermittent which is, of course, simply the BEST type of bug to have!

I find it strange that when you do the lockpicking, it seems the door is selected, but not the lock (there's no frob-higlight on the lock), maybe this is normal. I guess maybe the frob-highlight of the door is not connected with the lock in the entity settings.

Edit: Just a hunch: Maybe related to issue: https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=5715  (although that one was fixed in dev9577) ?

Edited by datiswous

I see only the door highlighted and not just the lever on the door.  The whole door is selected and I just need to look at the door, not specifically the handle.  I do have the simplest lockpicking option selected, if that matters.

I have been trying this out a number of times to see if I can develop a pattern.  It happens on other doors in other maps.  I can't get it to recreate on the trainer map.  Possibly an issue with the lever style handle with single tumbler as in the Briarwood Manor?

I will keep at it and report back.