The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief (2021/11/20)

Bienie

There is currently an oversight in the mission that gives the player the master key at start which opens all doors. This is not intended and I will be uploading a hotfix tomorrow which fixes this and a couple other small things.

In the meantime, either be a sport and drop the key in your room at the start or await the hotfix version tomorrow!

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

A hotfix version has been released. The hotfix contains several fixes and visual improvements as well, so it is well worth redownloading!

The dropbox link has been updated in the original post, and the in-game downloader version is up to date too!

Edited by Bienie
  • Like 3

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Okay, I've completed the main and bonus objectives, but I'm stuck with

Spoiler

Finding the secret missions.  By coincidence I did a playthrough of all the other CoS missions the other week, so I know to expect a bunch of documents to enable each one.

At one point while tearing around the level in desperation, I found that the study in the Manor had the top two drawers openable and the bottom drawer contained the secret mission documents.  Then the guy saw me and that was that.  When I went back to the Manor, the top two drawers were unfrobbable again and the bottom drawer has nothing usable inside it.

What am I missing to get at those documents?  (This is the fixed version without the Master Key, by the way)

Edited by tapewolf
typo

1 hour ago, tapewolf said:

Okay, I've completed the main and bonus objectives, but I'm stuck with

Hide contents

Finding the secret missions.  By coincidence I did a playthrough of all the other CoS missions the other week, so I know to expect a bunch of documents to enable each one.

At one point while tearing around the level in desperation, I found that the study in the Manor had the top two drawers openable and the bottom drawer contained the secret mission documents.  Then the guy saw me and that was that.  When I went back to the Manor, the top two drawers were unfrobbable again and the bottom drawer has nothing usable inside it.

What am I missing to get at those documents?  (This is the fixed version without the Master Key, by the way)

Spoiler

I think you are getting two desks mixed up. The desk in the manor doesn't have any secret documents. They are all in the small room you can access by scaling the wall on the south end of the Cobb St. tunnel. These are the same type of desk so I guess that can be confusing. You wouldn't be caught by any AI where the challenge documents are though, as it's a singe room way up off the ground.

Glad to hear you were playing through the other CoS missions recently. Does this one measure up to the previous ones? :)

• Like 2

My Fan Missions:

11 minutes ago, Bienie said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think you are getting two desks mixed up. The desk in the manor doesn't have any secret documents. They are all in the small room you can access by scaling the wall on the south end of the Cobb St. tunnel. These are the same type of desk so I guess that can be confusing. You wouldn't be caught by any AI where the challenge documents are though, as it's a singe room way up off the ground.

Glad to hear you were playing through the other CoS missions recently. Does this one measure up to the previous ones? :)

Ah, thanks!  Yes, I spent enough time trying to figure that out that I clearly got extremely confused.

Anyway, this has been very enjoyable and is a great addition to the series.  That wardrobe was a particularly awesome touch. 

• Like 1

Enjoying this very much so far, I've done the main objective with the abductor and now (on hard) just trying to find more loot and secrets. One small problem I had was the

Spoiler

chest in Abbath's room.

i picked it but could only get the contents by frobbing through the closed lid, with the lid open I could not reach them. 

(Can we expect an Abbath reunion any time soon?)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Marbrien said:

Enjoying this very much so far, I've done the main objective with the abductor and now (on hard) just trying to find more loot and secrets. One small problem I had was the

Hide contents

chest in Abbath's room.

i picked it but could only get the contents by frobbing through the closed lid, with the lid open I could not reach them. 

(Can we expect an Abbath reunion any time soon?)

Glad you are enjoying the mission. Are you running 2.10 beta? There seems to be something off there as many have had trouble with that specific chest. It seems to work normally on 2.09 from what I can tell. Not sure what you mean with the reunion, but if you're asking if I think there will be any more Immortal albums I wouldn't get my hopes up. ^^

27 minutes ago, Zerg Rush said:

I quite like this mission. Great detail of the libraries with the Grayman missions.

It was not very difficult to find the secret hidden place there as well.

Good to hear! The library started as an homage to Grayman, but I liked the idea so much that I added a lot of other authors' works so it became an homage to all of TDM. Did you find all three secret stashes?

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

11 hours ago, Bienie said:

Glad you are enjoying the mission. Are you running 2.10 beta? There seems to be something off there as many have had trouble with that specific chest. It seems to work normally on 2.09 from what I can tell. Not sure what you mean with the reunion, but if you're asking if I think there will be any more Immortal albums I wouldn't get my hopes up. ^^

Good to hear! The library started as an homage to Grayman, but I liked the idea so much that I added a lot of other authors' works so it became an homage to all of TDM. Did you find all three secret stashes?

No, I played only half an hour yesterday and found this Room and this first secret only in the last 10 min.

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

Awesome. A new mission. Congrats on the release and a big Thank you :D

• Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Congrats and many many thanks.

I have trouble to climb to the

Spoiler

challenges room. There is a rim on roof of the opposite building, that can be reached from the window of the birthday dining room window. But I can't find a way to climb on that window.

Also, there is a bug/hick up, of some sort, if it is not intentional. If you

Spoiler

knock out Clive the Cleaver it seems you can't fulfill the main objective any more, but you realize this a lot later in the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hanmin said:

Congrats and many many thanks.

I have trouble to climb to the

Hide contents

challenges room. There is a rim on roof of the opposite building, that can be reached from the window of the birthday dining room window. But I can't find a way to climb on that window.

Also, there is a bug/hick up, of some sort, if it is not intentional. If you

Hide contents

knock out Clive the Cleaver it seems you can't fulfill the main objective any more, but you realize this a lot later in the game.

Thank you!

As far as climbing to the

Spoiler

challenge room, the intended route is using the movable crate in the little nook with the front door to the building where Clive is. Moving it slightly will allow you to mantle the eastern bay window, and from here jump to the awning right below the window to the challenge room, from where you can mantle into the room.

I'm not sure what to make of that bug. Doubtful many will run into it, but I could have sworn I set the objectives to fail the mission if the player did that. Maybe only killing does so? I would have to look again. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

My Fan Missions:

Hi, I added your mission to the mission database wiki page:

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Fan_Missions_for_The_Dark_Mod

And the Fan Mission Series wiki page:

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Fan_Mission_Series#Chronicles_of_Skulduggery_series

If you don't want it listed, I can remove it off course

Edited by datiswous
  • Thanks 1

I am a blackjack first, ask questions later kind of player.  I found the same bug as Hanmin:

Spoiler

I thumped Clive the Cleaver fairly early on and cannot complete the objective of dropping the abductor's body in the room.  I have flung him all around the room and just can't seem to trigger the completion.

Thanks for the mission series. These, and many more, are good-looking environments that I hope to draw from when I create my own missions.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hooded Lantern said:

Thank you Bienie. I like your FMs, alot. Can you tell me why the FM isn't available in the Mission Downloader ingame?

It should be. It's available on the missions page:

https://www.thedarkmod.com/missiondetails/?internalName=cos0_thief

Did you see "COS0: To Catch a Thief" in the download list?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

11 hours ago, cvlw said:

I am a blackjack first, ask questions later kind of player.  I found the same bug as Hanmin:

Hide contents

I thumped Clive the Cleaver fairly early on and cannot complete the objective of dropping the abductor's body in the room.  I have flung him all around the room and just can't seem to trigger the completion.

Thanks for the mission series. These, and many more, are good-looking environments that I hope to draw from when I create my own missions.

So odd. I looked at the map in DR now and it looks like it should fail the mission. Maybe it needs to be set to ongoing, or there is some in-game interference between the two components. Anyway, I will put it on my list for a potential update.

I'm glad you like the whole mission series!

My Fan Missions:

20 hours ago, datiswous said:

Hi, I added your mission to the mission database wiki page:

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Fan_Missions_for_The_Dark_Mod

And the Fan Mission Series wiki page:

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Fan_Mission_Series#Chronicles_of_Skulduggery_series

If you don't want it listed, I can remove it off course

Thanks for adding them. I've made the main entry for the mission: https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Chronicles_of_Skulduggery_0:_To_Catch_a_Thief_(FM)

Now I just have to get to work making the lootlist for the mission 😅

edit: done!

Edited by Bienie

My Fan Missions:

First and foremost: congratulations on another great mission release, Bienie! 👏

I found it to have its own grey-dark atmosphere with lovely accents of humour and a particularly moving element.

Spoiler

The slightly masochist thief-fan 😂 The masochist thief-fan. A priest-gambler and the punishment awaiting him. Oh and a rat with a cute scarf! Touching: the Grayman's and others' missions references as titles of books.

Side missions and especially Detective challenge* were well-seasoned parts of an adventure you invited the player to. 

And creme de la creme: secrets.

Spoiler

Narnia!

Luv it.

Summing up: neatly tailored prologue to the CoS series and an interesting mission made by a pro. Bravo.

Spoiler

...I can frob neither the loot nor the readable from the chest next to the sleeping cultist. I play 2.09 version of Dark Mod. 🤔

• Thanks 1