The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 2.14.0 released

First of all thanks to @OrbWeaver and @greebo for all your hard work!

A couple of comments on 2.14 that I noticed right away (and sorry I wasn't involved in the testing, I just returned to TDM after a long break):

• I understand why you removed the floating layout, but I liked it.  I guess my only complaint is that I can no longer split the main window into 2 different XY views.  I was used to being able to do that, plus have a 3rd XY layout (so all views were covered) on my 2nd display along with various other widgets.  It would be good if the XY view could be split in the main window (or is this already possible?).
  • For some reason the following settings are not being saved (I'm using the 'dockable' layout now):
    • The multi-monitor settings - no matter what I select DR always starts on monitor 0 (I have 0, 1, 2).
    • New XY views aren't saved. I have to add them every time I start DR.  This wasn't an issue with the floating layout.  The camera and other widgets however are being saved (along with their positioning)

Minor gripes admittedly, but look forward to checking out the other new features 🙂

Edited by Frost_Salamander

6 hours ago, Frost_Salamander said:
  • I guess my only complaint is that I can no longer split the main window into 2 different XY views.  I was used to being able to do that, plus have a 3rd XY layout (so all views were covered) on my 2nd display along with various other widgets.  It would be good if the XY view could be split in the main window (or is this already possible?).

If I understand correctly, you want 2 main XY windows docked in the main window, and a 3rd XY window as a floating window on a separate monitor?

I think this could be achieved if we make "New XY view" generate a Dockable window, rather than a free-floating window. This way you could dock it to one side or another (with the default XY window taking up the "center" position, which it always does), or leave it floating as you prefer.

6 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

If I understand correctly, you want 2 main XY windows docked in the main window, and a 3rd XY window as a floating window on a separate monitor?

I think this could be achieved if we make "New XY view" generate a Dockable window, rather than a free-floating window. This way you could dock it to one side or another (with the default XY window taking up the "center" position, which it always does), or leave it floating as you prefer.

Yes that sounds right.  I think if the new XY view was dockable that would be better, as it would then 'snap' into place and you don't have to fiddle around trying to position it.  Kind of like most code editors or terminal emulators these days where you can 'split' the window into multiple panes and they all fit/line up perfectly, and you can resize them by just dragging the dividing line between them.

I guess for a 3rd XY view it would need to be floating?  Or could it be a choice?  If you had a huge or widescreen monitor you could maybe get another XY view in the main window, but for traditional displays it would need to be floating to go onto another display.

I was also thinking, is there a way with the floating windows to make them snap to position (like Snap Assist in Windows 10)?  Positioning and re-sizing the floating windows is obviously nice and flexible, but I always wish I could press some hotkey and they would snap to the right or left and not go off the screen and stuff like when I do it manually.

41 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

I think this could be achieved if we make "New XY view" generate a Dockable window,

That would be great. At the moment under Linux, the "new xy view" makes a window which doesn't accept the shortcut keys, because they only work on the main window. The dockable window doesn't seem to have this issue and therefore I put the entity etc. window on the second window.

Edited by datiswous

20 hours ago, Frost_Salamander said:

I guess for a 3rd XY view it would need to be floating?  Or could it be a choice?  If you had a huge or widescreen monitor you could maybe get another XY view in the main window, but for traditional displays it would need to be floating to go onto another display.

The idea would be that every new XY window starts off as a floating dockable widget, which you could then drag into place according to the rules of the wxWidgets dockable UI. This allows you to dock windows to the edges of the main window (but not the center, which is considered a separate area and currently always filled with the initial XY view), or have them as separate floating windows which you can manage like any other.

20 hours ago, Frost_Salamander said:

I was also thinking, is there a way with the floating windows to make them snap to position (like Snap Assist in Windows 10)?  Positioning and re-sizing the floating windows is obviously nice and flexible, but I always wish I could press some hotkey and they would snap to the right or left and not go off the screen and stuff like when I do it manually.

In theory this should be up to the window manager, however it looks like the current floating windows are not considered regular top-level windows, which means that in Linux I cannot drag them to the side and have them take up half the width like most windows. Possibly this could be fixed by setting the appropriate flag in wxWidgets, but I don't know if this would have other consequences like removing the always-on-top property.

• Like 1

Unfortunately my commit a64abd187518645fa300efaeff264982b9a16ac5 appears to have introduced a bug whereby rotated models gain additional rotations after you move them. I suspect (but haven't yet proved) that it is something to do with either double or missing invocations of some spawnarg-changed callback.

@greeboFor the time being, it might make sense to make a new branch for 14.0.1, starting from a commit before this one (nothing afterwards is important — it's all just internal refactoring).

It is truely amazing how fast new and useful features and also bugfixes find their way into DR. Great work!

Just a stupid question: I setup my current DR for my WIP project. What would be the easiest way to update DR without losing my settings? Can I just download and extract it into my current DR folder savely?

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

4 hours ago, SeriousToni said:

What would be the easiest way to update DR without losing my settings? Can I just download and extract it into my current DR folder savely?

Yes, that's one way. But you don't even need to overwrite the current installation, you can also run the new version side by side with the old one, using a separate folder for 2.14. That way you can switch back to the old version if you don't like it.

When switching back and forth, depending on how old your current version is, you might lose a keyboard shortcut or two. (If the old version is 2.12 or 2.13, I think no shortcuts will be lost.)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hey, since the last couple of DR versions I've got the issue that my brushes all are shown by dark lines (on a dark background). To solve this I need to go to "View > Colours > Black & Green > OK".

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• greebo unpinned this topic