The Dark Mod Forums

Beta testing 2.10

stgatilov

9 hours ago, stgatilov said:

beta210-02 is available.
Full changelog is in the fourth post of this thread.

Most importantly, this new version should run on Windows 7.
I did not test it myself though.
@JackFarmer, @Gadavre, please report if the problem is no longer present.

@New Horizon, please try the new beta version.
If it still crashes, I'd be happy to see a crashdump.

I haven't had any crashes since I did a fresh install, instead of the update.  Can reinstall 2.09 and run the update process again to see if that is fixed.

@stgatilov about beta210-02 (rev 16411-9731)

I could to run this version on windows 7.  But I'm seeing some strange things.

1. Language Switching. I switched the language in the game menu to Russian. A black screen with the cursor appears. I pressed many buttons and only the Excape button helped me....  If you go to the menu while the mission is running and try to change the language, the game hangs..

2.  I tried in the game config to remove the bobing of the player. But it didn't help. The settings were reset by the game

seta pm_bobroll "0"
seta pm_bobpitch "0"
seta pm_bobup "0"
seta pm_runroll "0"
seta pm_runpitch "0"
seta pm_runbob "0"
seta pm_walkbob "0"
seta pm_crouchbob "0"

Maybe it's possible to fix

Edited by Gadavre
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, datiswous said:

What does this? I mean which images are affected? Is this for the newgame menu?

1 hour ago, stgatilov said:

These are new keywords which can be used in GUI windows.

Those are for custom GUI's in new missions

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 5:35 AM, stgatilov said:

beta210-02 is available.
Full changelog is in the fourth post of this thread.

Most importantly, this new version should run on Windows 7.
I did not test it myself though.
@JackFarmer, @Gadavre, please report if the problem is no longer present.

@New Horizon, please try the new beta version.
If it still crashes, I'd be happy to see a crashdump.

Works now, thank you very much.

Wow, dmap time has been reduced really significantly!

I've noticed that I can see the edges of light volumes as sparkly lines now - this is taken from a recent test map:

prints_2021-12-24_00_15_27.thumb.jpg.c2b031a760c2bc99168ac8ed1d91f979.jpg

And this is m y darkmod.cfg (pretty much the one that the tdm_installer.exe gives me after updating to beta02): Darkmod.cfg

• Like 2

On 12/24/2021 at 6:18 AM, Dragofer said:

I've noticed that I can see the edges of light volumes as sparkly lines now - this is taken from a recent test map:

prints_2021-12-24_00_15_27.thumb.jpg.c2b031a760c2bc99168ac8ed1d91f979.jpg

And this is m y darkmod.cfg (pretty much the one that the tdm_installer.exe gives me after updating to beta02): Darkmod.cfg

I don't see anything like that.
Tried with your config file too.

I think there is something wrong with looping sound shaders that have a playlist of sound files to go through. They may play something from the playlist at first but then they'll get stuck looping the very first item in it and never randomly choose another. This obviously wasn't the case in the last version of the game.

Please corroborate, you can test with a regular speaker with 's_shader' set to 'animal_dog_distant' or 'frob_instrument_victrola', and 's_looping' set to '1'. If the dog bark/ditty is always the same on your end too, then it's a bug.

edit: I've submitted the bug report.

Edited by Spooks

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

23 minutes ago, Spooks said:

I think there is something wrong with looping sound shaders that have a playlist of sound files to go through. They may play something from the playlist at first but then they'll get stuck looping the very first item in it and never randomly choose another. This obviously wasn't the case in the last version of the game.

Please corroborate, you can test with a regular speaker with 's_shader' set to 'animal_dog_distant' or 'frob_instrument_victrola', and 's_looping' set to '1'. If the dog bark/ditty is always the same on your end too, then it's a bug.

I can confirm this happens with looping multi-sound shaders, but IIRC it happened on 2.09 too.

I have the feeling that the new diagnostics system has some issues.

Hidden Hands - Vitalic Fever - dmap with 2.10-beta2

(a) false positives, missing portals, examples:

- info_locationseparator_15  covers no portal (for reasons unknown this portal became defective during several mod releases)
- info-locationseparator_68 dto. (this is an outside portal)

(b) false positives, multiple touches, examples:

- info_location_separator_30 covers more than one portal
- info_location_separator_97 dto.
- info_location_separator_98 dto.

(b) seems always to be reported if two Visportals are close to each other (this example shows info_location_separator_30):

grafik.png.da19002d129317feb7808364dc747f50.png

Edited by JackFarmer
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

(b) false positives, multiple touches, examples:

- info_location_separator_30 covers more than one portal
- info_location_separator_97 dto.
- info_location_separator_98 dto.

(b) seems always to be reported if two Visportals are close to each other (this example shows info_location_separator_30)

Read this carefully:

Quite likely, you have one of those situations where you think location separator applies to one visportal, but it is actually is applied to two, and you should fix it to be sure it works as intended.

(a) false positives, missing portals, examples:

- info_locationseparator_15  covers no portal (for reasons unknown this portal became defective during several mod releases)
- info-locationseparator_68 dto. (this is an outside portal)

There were major changes in visportals system in TDM 2.08.
If the portals were set before 2.08, then it is quite expected that some portals have dropped away.

Otherwise, I can probably look into the problem...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stgatilov said:

Read this carefully:

Quite likely, you have one of those situations where you think location separator applies to one visportal, but it is actually is applied to two, and you should fix it to be sure it works as intended.

There were major changes in visportals system in TDM 2.08.
If the portals were set before 2.08, then it is quite expected that some portals have dropped away.

Otherwise, I can probably look into the problem...

You are right; shame on me, it is exactly as you wrote; the adjacent VPs in question are angled.

Regarding (a) I will produce a smaller version for you of a different mission where I encountered two or three issues with that.

As for beta 2, I did not find any in game problems with the two missions I played till now.

The new main menu changes regarding loading and starting a mission seem very straightforward to me, only thing; I had to leftclick after the intro video (The Black Mage) to get to the difficulty menu. (Screen went black and after about ten seconds I thought; maybe left click). Could be this has to do with mission .. ?

@stgatilov
My FPS almost doubled in the infamous V1 " lava cave", so, for me, there is preformance gain.

Edited by STRUNK

From the new Sotha FM: The-Dark-Modx64-2021-12-31-22-55-48-840.

Is this the expected behaviour of the lamp-related shadows (when wielded)? No human and only helm and sword can cast shadows? :D

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

29 minutes ago, lowenz said:

From the new Sotha FM: The-Dark-Modx64-2021-12-31-22-55-48-840.

Is this the expected behaviour of the lamp-related shadows (when wielded)? No human and only helm and sword can cast shadows? :D

Old bug:

https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=3284

That said, there is an argument for making def attached items inherit from noshadows on the AI...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

vid_restart seems to break ambient light, or at least ambient_world. a lot of the world is pitch black after it. That might be on 2.10. I'm having to do vid_restart because every time I alt+enter to change from windowed to fullscreen, the game graphics break. I think that's just something getting broken from the side of Nvidia's drivers though, I used not to get it in 2.09 but then it started happening there, too... If anyone has that problem, shout out but, well, point being, vid_restart kind of fixed it but now that's useless.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

6 hours ago, STRUNK said:

I had to leftclick after the intro video (The Black Mage) to get to the difficulty menu. (Screen went black and after about ten seconds I thought; maybe left click). Could be this has to do with mission .. ?

This was an issue in the beta, but it was fixed later on. It does not happen anymore for me (just tested), so I'm a bit puzzled if this still happens for you.