The Dark Mod Forums

Beta testing 2.10

stgatilov

12 hours ago, joebarnin said:

Yep, on the light I have:

volumetric_light=1

volumetric_dust=.002

volumetric_noshadows=-1

Worked fine in beta04, but not in beta05.

What are those line?

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Interesting behaviour with an Intel UHD 750:

*borderless fullscreen: Borderless.jpg

*exclusive fullscreen: Exclusive.jpg

In ex-fullscreen mode the average framerate is course a little better (14 vs 12 @2560x1440) but the interesting thing is the nervous frame time behaviour due to how the driver manages the exclusive fullscreen mode. Is it fixable? (the same happens @1280x720, the "right" resolution @which you can play the game with the UHD 750)

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

the same happens @1280x720, the "right" resolution @which you can play the game with the UHD 750 - with integer upscaling to 2560x1440

-> 1.jpg

Edited by lowenz

3 hours ago, wesp5 said:

Thanks, so you pulled 5 and moved 6 into it's place? Makes sense as 5 looked like none at all anyway...

Not sure what you mean sorry, nothing has changed with the presets since a few betas ago.

If you had custom settings for the froboutline, they may have been wiped out when you updated. Did you click the option to restore the old darkmod.cfg in the installer when updating to 2.10b5?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

5 and 6 are BOTH dark outlines, 5 is hard geometric dark outline, and 6 is soft shader dark outline.

Go in the game and open the console. Type in

r_frobOutlinePreset

and press Enter. You'll see the description of each preset.

Also, wtf is up with the grabber? Rotating items in the grabber is bonkers stupid now. If you start rotating too quickly, or give another input, even in the same direction as the original input, it will start rotating in the opposite direction.

in 2.09b it's easy for me to rotate this box back to flat.

But in 2.10, I can't make any sense of what it's doing.

Now, this is partly my fault, I've noticed this looooong before the beta release, but I usually don't have much reason to rotate items in the grabber, except maybe righting toppled candles, but I don't think it should be released in this state.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lowenz said:

Interesting behaviour with an Intel UHD 750:

In ex-fullscreen mode the average framerate is course a little better (14 vs 12 @2560x1440) but the interesting thing is the nervous frame time behaviour due to how the driver manages the exclusive fullscreen mode. Is it fixable? (the same happens @1280x720, the "right" resolution @which you can play the game with the UHD 750)

I have no idea if this is fixable, since TDM does not make any difference between the two modes.
"Borderless" fullscreen only makes the TDM window 1 pixel wider in vertical direction, which supposedly forces most drivers to not do anything fancy but go through regular windows compositing.
Also the two modes differ in how they work if you set non-native resolution: proper fullscreen will ask your OS to change resolution globally, while borderless does not support this case at all (not sure what would happen).

You can try to play with "Uncap FPS" and "V-Sync", I'm sure some of these settings will remove FPS oscilations.

41 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

Also, wtf is up with the grabber?

I think it has to do with the following:

You can try doing:

tdm_drag_new 0

And see if it behaves similar to 2.09 again.

I recently had some issue with positioning a chair, maybe this is the reason as well.

Edited by datiswous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AluminumHaste said:

Also, wtf is up with the grabber? Rotating items in the grabber is bonkers stupid now. If you start rotating too quickly, or give another input, even in the same direction as the original input, it will start rotating in the opposite direction.

Do you have any problem with light/small objects?

I can see the problem with a box, although it happens on "tdm_drag_new 0" too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stgatilov said:

I have no idea if this is fixable, since TDM does not make any difference between the two modes.
"Borderless" fullscreen only makes the TDM window 1 pixel wider in vertical direction, which supposedly forces most drivers to not do anything fancy but go through regular windows compositing.
Also the two modes differ in how they work if you set non-native resolution: proper fullscreen will ask your OS to change resolution globally, while borderless does not support this case at all (not sure what would happen).

You can try to play with "Uncap FPS" and "V-Sync", I'm sure some of these settings will remove FPS oscilations.

Of course in those tests the framerate is already uncapped and V-Sync is off 😛

So it can be something strictly OS+driver related.....

Edited by lowenz

4 hours ago, AluminumHaste said:

5 and 6 are BOTH dark outlines, 5 is hard geometric dark outline, and 6 is soft shader dark outline.

Go in the game and open the console. Type in

r_frobOutlinePreset

and press Enter. You'll see the description of each preset.

Yes, I can do that, but on my system only outline 1 works, all others look like outline off. And I didn't change anything manually about the outline in my cfg file and I didn't restore my old cfg either...

Edited by wesp5

21 hours ago, lowenz said:

the same happens @1280x720, the "right" resolution @which you can play the game with the UHD 750 - with integer upscaling to 2560x1440

-> 

I wondered if Intel got their shit together with that new chip. Apparently not (as expected).

Their "market targeting" is utter nonsense. They put 96EU into 25W or even 15W chips and the 125+W chips only include 32/24/16 EUs.

2 hours ago, duzenko said:

I wondered if Intel got their shit together with that new chip. Apparently not (as expected).

Their "market targeting" is utter nonsense. They put 96EU into 25W or even 15W chips and the 125+W chips only include 32/24/16 EUs.

That's my same&main concern.

IHMO it's an issue of the OpenGL driver with the desktop compositing (in some GPU-bound scenarios).

Edited by lowenz

13 minutes ago, wesp5 said:

No, I do not. Do I need it for the latest 2.10 beta? I don't think I ever had one before...

Did you ever install the fresnel mod ( tdm_base01.pk4 has the glprogs folder in it )?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)