The Dark Mod Forums

Beta testing 2.10

stgatilov

I did a quick check of Now and Then on beta05, it looks fine. It doesn't use security cameras. I did see one light-leakage issue, but it's a bug in my mission, that for some reason didn't show up in 2.09 but shows up in 2.10. I'll fix it soon.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, McPhisto2051 said:

You said for updating you need to use the tdm_installer. I don't even have one, the game folder only includes the tdm_update and theDarkModx64 as spllication data.

Maybe I still have a real old installation of the game???

You can only get version 2.09 using tdm_update.
I had a plan to show warning to players still using tdm_update, but this plan failed because I did not manage to force it to self-update. There is new tdm_update which shows warning, but players can't get it 😀

We will delete some stuff on the server when 2.10 is released, so tdm_update will stop working completely.
I think confusion should go away soon after that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stgatilov said:

You can only get version 2.09 using tdm_update.
I had a plan to show warning to players still using tdm_update, but this plan failed because I did not manage to force it to self-update. There is new tdm_update which shows warning, but players can't get it 😀

We will delete some stuff on the server when 2.10 is released, so tdm_update will stop working completely.
I think confusion should go away soon after that.

Maybe, allow the updater to update to an itermediary "2.09a" where the only change is the added installer and that the post-update script replaces the updater with a shortcut (or symbolic link on linux) to the installer before starting the new installer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Abusimplea said:

Maybe, allow the updater to update to an itermediary "2.09a" where the only change is the added installer and that the post-update script replaces the updater with a shortcut (or symbolic link on linux) to the installer before starting the new installer.

Maybe, but that needs more work, not worth it for a single-time migration.
It is much easier to break tdm_update completely, so that people have to go out and look around to see what happens.

This is also good for breaking people's habits. When one sees that tdm_update stopped working and downloads tdm_installer manually, he understands that this is a totally new thing which works differently. And if updater is replaced transparently, then user mentally projects tdm_update habits onto tdm_installer.

• Like 1

Finished The Old Habbits 1 Mission! (in 2.10)
Here is the YT-Link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-UPl0XW4TI
It's frustrating to upload a 8 gig video (for almost 1 day) in extreme quality to see it butchered like this 😞
Each interesting moment is at the start of a chapter - except the total mission start.
I would recommend to fix the few glitches and especially add sth like: "go back where you came from
" as and ending trigger. Else it's still a great mission!

Edited by McPhisto2051
typo fixing
  • Like 2

Take a look at In a Time of Need. The torches outside are doing something very weird that I didn't see them do in 2.09. It's like they're switching on and off depending on the player's distance from them; I'm seeing guards relight lit torches; and there are a few torches with no flames that are nevertheless emitting light. @kyyrma might have some useful input.

Edited by thebigh

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

35 minutes ago, thebigh said:

Take a look at In a Time of Need. The torches outside are doing something very weird that I didn't see them do in 2.09. It's like they're switching on and off depending on the player's distance from them; I'm seeing guards relight lit torches; and there are a few torches with no flames that are nevertheless emitting light. @kyyrma might have some useful input.

That's probably the result of LOD for lights being fixed in 2.10. Kyyrma probably attempted to apply LOD to these lights, found it didnt work, and left the spawnargs on them.

8 minutes ago, JackFarmer said:

@nbohr1more

I have already made updates ony my end for the 2.10 release for all of the missions I have published.

Will beta 5 be the last before the next release?

Is it ok to check the cameras in HHVF, HHTLC and HHTA this weekend, maybe tomorrow nite?

I think we have at least one more beta build coming but I doubt any further security camera changes will arrive so you can treat beta 5 as final in that regard.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

1 hour ago, JackFarmer said:

@nbohr1more

I have already made updates ony my end for the 2.10 release for all of the missions I have published.

Will beta 5 be the last before the next release?

Is it ok to check the cameras in HHVF, HHTLC and HHTA this weekend, maybe tomorrow nite?

There is a bugfix after beta5 for new security cameras always reacting to AIs that are on hostile teams (i.e. zombies) regardless of the new seeAI spawnarg. Security cameras in existing missions shouldn't be affected at all by this bug anyway.

Apart from that security cameras are more or less locked in for 2.10.

9 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

There is a bugfix after beta5 for new security cameras always reacting to AIs that are on hostile teams (i.e. zombies) regardless of the new seeAI spawnarg. Security cameras in existing missions shouldn't be affected at all by this bug anyway.

Apart from that security cameras are more or less locked in for 2.10.

Just checked the three missions and I can confirm your statement; the cameras still work as they should.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dragofer said:

That's probably the result of LOD for lights being fixed in 2.10. Kyyrma probably attempted to apply LOD to these lights, found it didnt work, and left the spawnargs on them.

Ah, that makes sense. Someone will probably need to edit the level to fix the lights, since kyyrma seems not to be active anymore.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

1 hour ago, thebigh said:

Ah, that makes sense. Someone will probably need to edit the level to fix the lights, since kyyrma seems not to be active anymore.

3 torch flame entities had LOD spawnargs (with very short hide distances for a light), of which 1 was extinguished at map start. I've removed the spawnargs, checked the FM and updated it on the FM server. @kyyrma

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can anyone else confirm these loading times? On my Ryzen 5800X computer on 2.09b, Behind Closed Doors take 1 minute and 56 seconds to load to the Press 'Attack' to Start the Mission appears, but in 2.10 Beta 5 it takes all of 15 seconds.

Something is up with my computer. I just tried this on a much inferior Intel 4770k and BCD loads in 42 seconds in 2.09b

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

??? I am guessing you are puzzled by the 2.09 loading times since you are going to demo the improvements in 2.10 but you wanna make sure you have a good baseline ???

I will humbly suggest that you verify the storage speeds of each 2.09 system you are testing. And check yer SATA cables ( if you aren’t using M2 or PCIE ).

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

2.09b and 2.10b5 reside on the same drive, a 1TB Mushkin SATA SSD.

Checking performance with CrystalDiskMark, so far all looks normal for reading.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 8.0.4 x64 (C) 2007-2021 hiyohiyo
                                  Crystal Dew World: https://crystalmark.info/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

[Read]
  SEQ    1MiB (Q=  8, T= 1):   546.621 MB/s [    521.3 IOPS] < 15312.53 us>
  SEQ    1MiB (Q=  1, T= 1):   551.502 MB/s [    526.0 IOPS] <  1900.23 us>
  RND    4KiB (Q= 32, T= 1):   293.679 MB/s [  71699.0 IOPS] <   445.88 us>
  RND    4KiB (Q=  1, T= 1):    30.423 MB/s [   7427.5 IOPS] <   134.48 us>

[Write]
  SEQ    1MiB (Q=  8, T= 1):   446.690 MB/s [    426.0 IOPS] < 18718.22 us>
  SEQ    1MiB (Q=  1, T= 1):   448.016 MB/s [    427.3 IOPS] <  2338.75 us>
  RND    4KiB (Q= 32, T= 1):   308.725 MB/s [  75372.3 IOPS] <   424.07 us>
  RND    4KiB (Q=  1, T= 1):   114.007 MB/s [  27833.7 IOPS] <    35.81 us>

Profile: Default
   Test: 1 GiB (x5) [F: 84% (786/931GiB)]
   Mode: [Admin]
   Time: Measure 5 sec / Interval 5 sec
   Date: 2022/02/04 22:22:26

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

On 2/5/2022 at 8:51 AM, AluminumHaste said:

Can anyone else confirm these loading times? On my Ryzen 5800X computer on 2.09b, Behind Closed Doors take 1 minute and 56 seconds to load to the Press 'Attack' to Start the Mission appears, but in 2.10 Beta 5 it takes all of 15 seconds.

It is known that AMD OpenGL driver performs texture compression very slowly. In 2.09, all normal maps were compressed to RGTC by OpenGL driver. In 2.10, they are compressed by our C++ code. I think that's the main reason why you see such a huge improvement: it is much less for NVIDIA, for instance.

Also, keep in mind that when you start a mission on TDM installation for the first time, data is loaded data from disk, but when you load it for the second time, it is most likely loaded from RAM (OS disk cache). This can noticeably affect your measurements, but of course it won't cause 8x difference 😁 The difference due to caching was relatively modest in our tests.