The Dark Mod Forums

Beta testing 2.10

stgatilov

On 2/4/2022 at 2:56 PM, Dragofer said:

That's probably the result of LOD for lights being fixed in 2.10. Kyyrma probably attempted to apply LOD to these lights, found it didnt work, and left the spawnargs on them.

Speaking of this actually, this is something I'd already fixed in my mission's upcoming patch but I suppose I stupidly didn't bother mentioning here. I had several moveables with hide_distance and no lod model to replace them (so they'd just not show) on a shelf (and the shelf itself was hide_distanced in that way, too), and on 2.10, when you got to them, they had fallen through the shelf. Obviously not the case in 2.09.

I tested around and found out it was the hide_distance was the thing causing it (and that probably on the shelf rather than the moveables) but since I didn't want to disable their hiding I just set nodrop to 1 as an alternative fix. I guess if there were LOD fixes that might be one consequence?

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

41 minutes ago, Spooks said:

Speaking of this actually, this is something I'd already fixed in my mission's upcoming patch but I suppose I stupidly didn't bother mentioning here. I had several moveables with hide_distance and no lod model to replace them (so they'd just not show) on a shelf (and the shelf itself was hide_distanced in that way, too), and on 2.10, when you got to them, they had fallen through the shelf. Obviously not the case in 2.09.

I tested around and found out it was the hide_distance was the thing causing it (and that probably on the shelf rather than the moveables) but since I didn't want to disable their hiding I just set nodrop to 1 as an alternative fix. I guess if there were LOD fixes that might be one consequence?

As far as Im aware 2.10 only touched upon LOD for lights. I did notice moveables falling down when hide_distance kicks in (broadhead stuck in a LOD-enabled wooden beam), but when i reported it this was demonstrated to be an old bug/feature.

IIRC, in 2.08 the rope arrow disappeared along with the piece of wood model with hide_distance set. Moveables "pre-fall" at the map start, so if something is invisible, whether via hide or hide_distance, the objects will fall on the next available geometry.

By the way, just want to confirm that image_useNormalCompression "0" no longer disables lights in maps in beta 6 ;)

This seems like it should be relatively easy to fix: just disable hiding upon map start for maybe half a second until all the things you've got an inch off the ground to stop them clipping into the ground have had a chance to settle.

If a mapper's got something dropping from a great height onto a hideable object they deserve what they get.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

When you quickload from a situation where you're in complete brightness into a situation where you're in complete darkness, the player is still fully lit for several frames and AI spot you before you go back to properly lit.

In the video I run out with lamp lit and quickload, you can clearly hear the AI say "Something moving?" as I load in fully lit.

• Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

10 hours ago, AluminumHaste said:

When you quickload from a situation where you're in complete brightness into a situation where you're in complete darkness, the player is still fully lit for several frames and AI spot you before you go back to properly lit.

I don't think this is new to 2.10.  I know that @Klatremus commented on this in some of his supreme ghosting videos, I think he was using 2.9?

It's irritating, but the workaround is to reload twice, which is easy enough.

Is there a bug report for this misfeature?

I think I've seen this as recently as 2.08.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

The start of Tears of Saint Lucia mission is full of windows and I'm not seeing that in any of them, bloom on, 64bits color on, but I'm on windows 10, on a previous generation AMD RX 570X. 

Is that test map in the video available anywhere for me to test? 

Mine is a test map yes, the windows were taken from Black Mage, so load up that, right after the cutscene, and look up at the tower.

Though, I don't think you'll get it, RX570 is different hardware and driver architecture.

GCN vs RDNA

• Like 2

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

On 2/10/2022 at 3:13 AM, AluminumHaste said:

In the video I run out with lamp lit and quickload, you can clearly hear the AI say "Something moving?" as I load in fully lit.

I have this quite often, when I do a quickload and the first thing I hear is: "Something moving?". Didn't know it was related to light. Maybe this occurs more often in 2.10 because of faster save loading?

4 hours ago, AluminumHaste said:

Mine is a test map yes, the windows were taken from Black Mage, so load up that, right after the cutscene, and look up at the tower.

Though, I don't think you'll get it, RX570 is different hardware and driver architecture.

GCN vs RDNA

Ok... I it seems, I've been playing missions where this was not happening (or playing in 32bits without knowing) because surprise, on Black Mage I do see this problem!

So is not windows 11 and RDNA only.

Compared to the video, In my case the blue squares aren't that pronounced thou and the windows don't flash blue like crazy, what I see is a faint blue shape (but perfectly able to see is those blue squares bug) around the windows, for a split second when I move the view around. 

4 hours ago, AluminumHaste said:

I know this is super late but could we please implement a sliding jump ability?

I've taken to encasing pipes in nodraw-metal so that you can actually jump off them, so I second this suggestion.

• Like 1

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

It seems like that particular organ is still available to be attached to ai - however the left hand must also be free to spawn/destroy it which is coincidentally also were the bottle for drunk ai is attached. This makes designing "pissing while pissed drunk" style immersive gameplay very difficult to design without lighting up the console like Christmas tree. 

• Haha 1

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

5 hours ago, AluminumHaste said:

Speaking of cock......what happened to the penis?

Whenever a guard takes a leak, you see a stream of piss, and the console has a warning about missing penis.

There seems to be a general problem with the code for spawning and destroying attachments during animations. The animations assign names to these attachments so they can be deleted by later frame commands, but the TDM console always says it can't find the attachment. You can find this in any mission where AIs play cards, eat, urinate etc.

Fortunately this seems to be a console-only bug, since ingame the animations work fine IIRC.

• Thanks 1

The select mission text for the currently installed mission is gone, but the button still clicks.

If you installed a mission while a previous version (of the same mission) is still present, you might not know it's already selected automatically. So then you want to select it, but the text for the button is not present. This can give a lot of confusion. I wouldn't remove the text for the already active mission, there is no negative aspect toward selecting again, but it is more consistent if it's still there even for selected missions (otherwise it should state: This mission is already active). Anyway, just my 2 cents.

iris_2022-02-12_14_49_55.jpg.a21e56a4bfac082d80784889d1e265da.jpg

Edited by datiswous