The Dark Mod Forums

Beta testing 2.10

stgatilov

4 hours ago, Wellingtoncrab said:

The observer script is specific to Iris - do you want to post in the Iris Beta thread or message me the details of when you are seeing the error

I've resolved it by reinstalling 2.10b6. When I launched Dark mod I got blue console screen with this error but now is gone,

Is there any way to upgrade directly from 2.09 to 2.10? I ran TDM Update.exe, but it won't detect 2.10. I have no tdm_installer file in my Dark Mod folders.

I saw there's a new mission that requires 2.10, which is why I was wondering if it was out of beta

Edited by Azaran

No more explicit missions.

If you want to test the contest missions:

that would be helpful.

Otherwise, I guess missions by Moonbo, Airship Ballet, Sotha, RPGista, Fieldmedic, and ShadowHide have some complex scripting so it might be nice to have another set of eyes on them.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

On 12/28/2021 at 9:54 AM, Spooks said:

I think there is something wrong with looping sound shaders that have a playlist of sound files to go through. They may play something from the playlist at first but then they'll get stuck looping the very first item in it and never randomly choose another. This obviously wasn't the case in the last version of the game.

Please corroborate, you can test with a regular speaker with 's_shader' set to 'animal_dog_distant' or 'frob_instrument_victrola', and 's_looping' set to '1'. If the dog bark/ditty is always the same on your end too, then it's a bug.

I noticed this yesterday as well.

I am reading on https://iddevnet.dhewm3.org/doom3/sounds.html :

The cvar s_maxSoundsPerShader limits the maximum number of sounds that can be in a shader. This is set to 0 (no limit) for high end systems and 1 for low end systems (which means it always plays the first sound in the list).

I don't know how is determent what kind of system you have, or it could even be broken in tdm and therefore always on 1.

In the sound shader you can add minSamples <int> with the number of sound files. Maybe that helps. I'll test later if this still works.

I've never known looping to switch between different sounds in a shader. Are you absolutely sure this behaviour was in previous versions in the game?

"Looping" means "Play this sound in a loop forever". "Forever" does not end, so how would the game know when to switch to another sound, and how would it do this seamlessly? Does the engine just pick a random number of seconds to play each sound for, then fade to another one? How does the player control this process, since as far as I know there are no keywords to specify how long each sample in a shader should be played for?

Or is the expectation that the randomly-chosen sound should play forever until the speaker is deactivated (i.e. because the player moves out of range), and then it should randomly choose a different sound to loop when the speaker is triggered again?

24 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

I've never known looping to switch between different sounds in a shader. Are you absolutely sure this behaviour was in previous versions in the game?

No I think looping is not needed for looping randomly through a playlist, but maybe some people think that.

Also, some sound shaders have looping in them whitch forces the looping so devining s_looping in DR does nothing.

For example here:

loop_vent_1     // D3 replacement
{
	editor_displayFolder	ambient/environmental
        	minDistance 1
	maxDistance 6
	volume -2
	looping

sound/ambient/environmental/steam01_loop.ogg
	sound/ambient/environmental/steam02_loop.ogg
}
Edited by datiswous

I think we're mixing up different issues here.

The fact that s_looping 0 when explicitly set on a speaker does not override the sound shader looping property, as discussed in the "Stubborn looping speaker" thread, is in my opinion a bug which should be fixed.

However in this thread you quoted a report from Spooks which says:

I think there is something wrong with looping sound shaders that have a playlist of sound files to go through. They may play something from the playlist at first but then they'll get stuck looping the very first item in it and never randomly choose another.

I'm not clear what the expected behaviour is here. As far as I know, the looping property does not mean "play sounds from the playlist in sequence", it means "play a single sound file in a continuous loop". If you are playing a single sound in a continuous loop, you never stop playing it, which means there is no obvious point at which the engine can switch to playing a different sound.

As far as I can see there are two possible ways to make looping and multiple sounds work together:

• Pick a random sound from the playlist and play it till the end. Then pick another random sound and do the same. Keep doing this forever (but do not "loop" any individual sound). This would require that each individual sound is designed to seamlessly transition into any other sound from the playlist.
  • Pick a random sound from the playlist and play this single sound in a continuous loop. Since this loop will never end, there will be no automatic transition into another sound. However, if the speaker is deactivated and triggered again, a different random sound could be chosen to loop continuously.

5 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

I think we're mixing up different issues here.

Sorry

5 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

'm not clear what the expected behaviour is here. As far as I know, the looping property does not mean "play sounds from the playlist in sequence", it means "play a single sound file in a continuous loop". If you are playing a single sound in a continuous loop, you never stop playing it, which means there is no obvious point at which the engine can switch to playing a different sound.

I just tested and what happens is that if you set s_looping 0 , only one (random) sound from that list is played one time. If you set s_looping 1 , one (random) sound is played, then the first sound of the list is looped.

Edit: What seems to work is setting the wait spawnarg to > 0 and no s_looping . Then it randomly loops through the sounds in the list, this only works well with sounds of similar length I think by specifying the length as minimum wait time, otherwise sounds are played over each other (which also has it's use). Seems more like a workaround.

Edited by datiswous

2 hours ago, stgatilov said:

beta210-07 is available.

The changelog for this one is very short.
Also, this is a "release candidate" for sure.

As expected, flickering textures and colored boxes are gone with this update. I only lose about 5 fps with indirect turned off in Black Mage.

• Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

14 hours ago, datiswous said:

If you set s_looping 1 , one (random) sound is played, then the first sound of the list is looped.

Oh, that is definitely weird behaviour then. I can't see any situation in which that would be desired. Either it should loop the first randomly-selected sound, or it should play all of the sounds one after the other in a random sequence.

was the AI change done in 2.10 or did I just not realize it until now?
I found an option and on hardest mission difficulty the AI seems to be still blind (2nd easiest) but seems to hear everything (not even hardcore).
I also had a reoccuring loop of AI which alerted themselfes almost endlessly. One ran into a chandelier which started making a sound even while resting on a table he the guard got even more upset...

I will upload the video but it will take some time...

There hasn’t been any significant work on AI since 2.08 but some core code refactoring in 2.10 can influence AI and other things.

Can you reproduce the issue in 2.09

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McPhisto2051 said:

was the AI change done in 2.10 or did I just not realize it until now?
I found an option and on hardest mission difficulty the AI seems to be still blind (2nd easiest) but seems to hear everything (not even hardcore).
I also had a reoccuring loop of AI which alerted themselfes almost endlessly. One ran into a chandelier which started making a sound even while resting on a table he the guard got even more upset...

I will upload the video but it will take some time...

Map and location please do we can try to replicate

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Good afternoon to you all,

I'm a new user of this forum, but I play TDM since a couple of years now.

I just registered to ask you about a couple of issues I encountered while trying the new 2.10 beta 7 version, that I installed in my computer updating over 2.09b and following the official instructions. I'm using Debian GNU/Linux 11 64 bit on a Intel i5 PC with a Nvidia Geforce GT 1030 and the proprietary Nvidia driver.

The first problem is: I cannot aim anymore while "charging" a shot with the blackjack or with the bow. So, if I "charge" the shot holding the Attack button, I cannot aim with the mouse until I release it (but I can move with WASD). This wasn't happening in 2.09b. I haven't tried the previous 2.10 beta versions.

The second problem is: in the new mission Written in Stone, the map loads regularly after the cutscenes, I can move in the little starting area but as I approach what I suppose is a larger square nearby the game instantly crashes to my desktop. This happened every time I tried, both with loading a savegame and restarting the mission from scratch. With the other new mission Iris I've not encountered this problem, and with 2.09b (and 2.08 too), not with Written in Stone of course, the game never crashed on my computer.

I tried to modify various settings but nothing solved these two issues. I hope that this post actually helps and that there are not stupid things or English grammar horrors.

Sorry for the really direct and short presentation, I hope that this isn't too rough, maybe I should introduce myself a little more after this.

• Like 3

@Dave the Taffer please post your Darkmod.cfg

In addition, please open the console via CTRL+ALT+ ~ ( tilde ) and invoke condump crash_written.txt

then collect the file from your darkmod directory and post it here.

Thank you!

• Like 1

1) The GTX 1030 will struggle with full 1080P on larger missions like Written in Stone. Set your Render Scale to 0.6 ( r_fboResolution 0.6 ).

2) The engine parser is having trouble with your home directory. Please rename your "The Dark Mod" directory to "darkmod" ( no spaces )

3) I currently have Linux Mint 19.3 with Nvidia driver 510. Is your distro limited to driver 460 ?

4) If lowering your resolution does not help, try disabling multi-core ( com_smp 0 ) and see if the crash persists

5) Also disabled EFX and HRTF audio

After these changes, if you still encounter crashing we will probably need debug data, so you will need to invoke:

gdb /path/to/thedarkmod.x64

or use another Linux debugger.

• Like 1

Thank you again.

I followed the steps 1), 2), 4), and 5), trying after every one of them, and the crash still occurred every single time. I'm uploading again those two files, if they can help, especially crash_written_2.txt.

I have to say that (in 2.09b) my GT1030 handled well The Painter's Wife, Behind Closed Doors and every other mission I ever tried at 1080p and with the settings you can see in the first Darkmod.cfg file I posted. I honestly can't remember if she could reach stable 60 fps with those huge missions, but the game was smooth enough and it never crashed. I literally never experienced a crash with TDM before this one.

Concerning point 3), I'm pretty sure I installed the correct version of the proprietary Nvidia driver that is available in Debian 11 standard, probably I could get a more recent version from the backports, but I don't want to do this.

I don't really understand what I have to do exactly with GDB, it doesn't happen anything when I run that command in Bash. If I can offer more help. I'll be happy to do so. Thank you, again.

Maybe this evening I'll try to do a clean reinstall of TDM and see if the problems go away, but I doubt it, this one already was a pretty recent installation.

crash_written_2.txt Darkmod.cfg

When you invoke "gdb" in bash does the prompt change to (gdb) ?

If so type "run" and it should start TDM.

Then play until the crash is encountered and copy to console contents.

To install gdb:

http://www.gdbtutorial.com/tutorial/how-install-gdb

@stgatilov I was able to reproduce the crash for "Written in Stone" mentioned above.

It happens when you don't use Shadow Maps ( r_shadows 2 ).

@Dave the Taffer "Written in Stone" was made to take advantage of Volumetric Lights which require Shadow Maps so most players wouldn't run it without them enabled. Try changing shadow mode to "Maps" in the advanced video settings or set r_shadows 2.

I will debug on my side...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nbohr1more said:

It happens when you don't use Shadow Maps ( r_shadows 2 ).

So I just checked Written, and it crashes for me as well when I don't have shadow maps enabled. This isn't the case for 2.10 beta5 and beta 6, because I did do some testing on that FM with Stencil enabled and everything worked fine.