The Dark Mod Forums

Beta testing 2.10

stgatilov

2 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

DMAP usually freezes for me too, but in most cases it gets done eventually.

But for how long? 5 minutes? As the small missions DMAP for just a few seconds I guess my main mission is broken, as it freezes at the same place every time...

After some blood, sweat and tears I have found some anomalies with my map. (It rendered and played just fine in 2.09). Basically I started deleting sections and dissecting away and DMAPping until I removed something that made the DMAP go through and now I believe I've grabbed the problems by the throat; I'm facing some weird brush work: It is some brushes and patches that is converted to a func_static (a hand rail to be exact). If I select it, it's fine, but if I unselect it, it doesn't show the whole model. As if I had some filter/grouping but there is no filtering/grouping activated...

Weird bug.jpg

EDIT: I deleted this corrupt brushwork and this popped up in the console (after a successfull DMAP)

file C:\Games\Darkmod\fms\wwtw\maps\wwtw.cm, line 802820: couldn't read expected floating point number

Just want to throw this to the more tech-savvy boys that want more than just "It doesn't work" :)

Edited by DeTeEff

1 hour ago, DeTeEff said:

EDIT: I deleted this corrupt brushwork and this popped up in the console (after a successfull DMAP)

file C:\Games\Darkmod\fms\wwtw\maps\wwtw.cm, line 802820: couldn't read expected floating point number

Just want to throw this to the more tech-savvy boys that want more than just "It doesn't work" :)

Delete .cm file manually and try again?

6 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

Delete .cm file manually and try again?

Have already done that and DMAPing works. I'm just curious why the brushes got corrupt in the first place... Will rebuild the railings tomorrow and see how that goes. I'm hoping I've killed the corruption at least but from now on will be more scared of building stuff... But at least I will hopefully be able to find future bugs more easily... And I will create more frequent backups, like 001,002,003 and so forth 

I've seen something slightly similar to this before. I was using the clipper tool and one of my brushes ended up with a very sharp, pointy angle, like two degrees or even less. For whatever reason this caused a nearby func_tastic to show holes in-game as though it was covered with a patchwork of alternating wood and caulk faces, and deleting the weird brush solved the issue.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

I don't remember if this happened in previous versions, but whenever I shoot a haunt with a fire arrow, the game often crashes. If I shoot and turn away, it won't, but if I'm looking at the haunt as the arrow hits, it crashes about 75% of the time

Does it still happen if you switch the shadow mode from maps to stencils?

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Just now, Tarhiel said:

Can we just copy Darkmod.cfg from 2.09 to 2.10, or do I need to modify it before use?

At the end of the install, there should be an option to "restore darkmod.cfg" on the bottom left. There are new cvars and new defaults so some things may change and this is by design.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

4 minutes ago, wesp5 said:

Just for anybody interested, I have updated my Unofficial Patch to work with TDM 2.10! New are the option to turn the much discussed Frob Outlines on, in to me the most sensible dark version, and renaming the mission installation/selection UI mishmash to "activation":

https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/addons/the-dark-mod-unofficial-patch

Goddamn how many games do you make "unofficial patches" for anyway? :)

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

5 minutes ago, Xolvix said:

Goddamn how many games do you make "unofficial patches" for anyway? :)

All together I made five :). The Bloodlines and TDM patches are alive as are the games themselves! The Deep Shadows patches are hibernating because I can't find the time to replay the games and there isn't much community left. The Babylon Project patch has been included into the Knossos version core game so that at least is finished ;).

• Like 2

On 3/4/2022 at 3:53 AM, Tarhiel said:

Can we just copy Darkmod.cfg from 2.09 to 2.10, or do I need to modify it before use?

You'd better not.

Or you will have many invisible differences with how 2.10 should work, which will eventually get you into trouble.

9 hours ago, stgatilov said:

You'd better not.

Or you will have many invisible differences with how 2.10 should work, which will eventually get you into trouble.

Interesting. I did a clean install of 2.10 and, for some reason, it imported by itself my .cfg file (I did a difference check and they were identical) and game seems to be running fine.

• 4 months later...

Hey, didn't want to start a topic since it was discussed here anyways.

The Fullscreen/Borderless modes are cool and all, but the window is still behaving as "exclusive" when switching between workspaces on Win10.

If you add a few workspaces in Win+Tab and switch between them with Win+Ctrl+Left/Right

1. The game window will be on every workspace instead of the single workspace it was started at (exclusive behavior)
  2. The game window will also be on top of the Dark Radiant window when you switch to its workspace

So if I have Dark Radiant in Workspace 1 and TDM in Workspace 2, then when testing levels and back switching to Workspace 1 will show the TDM from Workspace 2 on top of Dark Radiant window.

* using single monitor