The Dark Mod Forums

Uninitialized members and Typeinfo

duzenko

1 hour ago, duzenko said:

@stgatilovCan we fix typeinfo? How do we point it to the right path for this .hpp?

image.png.7d4a24161c79e1a6f3fbf1f43316c8e9.png

Well, in principle we can.
There is some macro which is defined only by typeinfo compiler, and we can ifdef by it.
Of course, typeinfo cannot and should not parse third-party libs.

However, the first question is: what are you trying to achieve? 🤔

26 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

However, the first question is: what are you trying to achieve? 🤔

Sorry, I should have started with that

I'm puzzled by these warnings in the xray test map. I'd like to see if the typeinfo lib could be used to debug this

image.thumb.png.54d62fe15c4c55d1f50d83b355ee34b1.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, duzenko said:

Sorry, I should have started with that

I'm puzzled by these warnings in the xray test map. I'd like to see if the typeinfo lib could be used to debug this

Oh yeah, that's not good...

Yes, you can use typeinfo lib to see member names, but it will by no means be easy. You will have to surround bad includes with #ifdef smth, replace all #pragma once with old-style include guard, do something with override (e.g. add #define override {empty} as predefined macro under typeinfo), add private: if some members are implicitly private... that's what I remember. 😥

A somewhat cumbersome approach but easier to boot would be to put breakpoint to where this message is printed, then find manually in the debugger which member this offset corresponds to. I.e. binary search by class members in their order... maybe using offsetof macro (if debugger supports it).

1 minute ago, stgatilov said:

A somewhat cumbersome approach but easier to boot would be to put breakpoint to where this message is printed, then find manually in the debugger which member this offset corresponds to. I.e. binary search by class members in their order... maybe using offsetof macro (if debugger supports it).

Umm... can it be automated by something like

for(auto& property: typeinfo::getPropertiesFor(this)) {

if (offsetof(property) == missingPropOffset) {
     }

}

Oh yeah, that's not good...

Yes, you can use typeinfo lib to see member names, but it will by no means by easy. You will have to surround bad includes with #ifdef smth, replace all #pragma once with old-style include guard, do something with override (e.g. add #define override {empty} as predefined macro under typeinfo), add private: if some members are implicitly private... that's what I remember. 😥

Sounds like a PhD course work :D

11 minutes ago, duzenko said:

Umm... can it be automated by something like

for(auto& property: typeinfo::getPropertiesFor(this)) {

if (offsetof(property) == missingPropOffset) {
     }

}

Yes, if you have static reflection.
Did reflection got into C++20 already? 🤔😭

Sounds like a PhD course work :D

Yeah, it is a lot of fun, but only if you really looking for this kind of fun 😁

2 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

Yes, if you have static reflection.
Did reflection got into C++20 already? 🤔😭

What about our "basic" RTTI? Isn't that separate to typeinfo.lib? I am completely clueless, but the wiki says typeinfo.lib is only needed for memory logs, which kinda implies RTTI is something different?

7 hours ago, duzenko said:

What about our "basic" RTTI? Isn't that separate to typeinfo.lib? I am completely clueless, but the wiki says typeinfo.lib is only needed for memory logs, which kinda implies RTTI is something different?

The warnings that you look at are the memory log. Typeinfo is needed to associate member names to offsets.
The C++ RTTI only includes class names, inheritances, virtual methods (see reference).

Another attempt at running typeinfo.exe

Fails with

Type Info Generator v1.0 (c) 2004 id Software
../darkmod_src/game
processing 'C:\Users\a\Documents\tdm\darkmod\..\darkmod_src\game\gamesys\TypeInfo_GenHelper.cpp' for type info...
ERROR: file ../darkmod_src/idlib\sys/sys_defines.h, line 148: #error without string

at this line

image.png.56b89b61721aa15be80da4aead7d5471.png

It does not matter if I define WIN32 in generator's own define list. It seems that it always executes compiler directives, even if they are disabled by an outer ifdef. Is typeinfo so hopelessly broken it cannot be used without major overhaul?

8 hours ago, duzenko said:

You mean you were able to run it locally with a bunch of changes but never commited those changes to svn?

No, I committed all the changes to SVN at that time.
But typeinfo parser is very fragile. I'm sure it quickly broke after that due to normal development.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stgatilov said:

Anyway, the generated typeinfo is wrong.

If you try to compile TDM with it, you'll get a lot of errors.
Most of the are due to not understanding C++11, and it is not wise to eradicate C++11 from headers or trying to #ifdef every little thing.

I have put a few more fixes and cut some corners

Revision 9713 seems to work

image.thumb.png.81524662edb9e0c04531cb24b4b0c6a4.pngI am particularly puzzled about the define private public trick, that I had to disable to make the modern compiler happy.

It seems that all "uninitialized members" are in fact paddings added for complex members like structs or template parameters

It's easy enough to filter when dealing with simple types, but templates aren't supported by TypeInfo and will have to be assumed always ok.