The Dark Mod Forums

The Black Mage (Grayman, JackFarmer & Friends), December, 24th, 2021

JackFarmer

@JackFarmer

1. Why did you do a particles fog on your map?  After all, you can make an ordinary fog. Which can be turned off the variable , if the fog gets in the way:

r_skipFogLights "1"

I wanted to play with good visibility and with good performance, But your Particles fog does not give me to do it.

2. I walk up to this thing that's on the screen and right click. I hear the sound  as if a player is raising or lowering the door handle.  But this thing doesn't even have a door handle on it. Perhaps you should replace that sound with another sound or delete it...? it's just weird and it doesn't make sense.

TheBlackMage_2021.jpg

Edited by Gadavre

@JackFarmer Question with fog resolved.

Spoiler

In a dungeon where there is lava  fps drops.  Can you come up with a patch for owners of weak video cards? Maybe if the smoke or lava is of low quality will be for me, the fps will be stable and high.

I went through large locations with lava in the game (Doom 3 and Doom 3 BFG) and fps was high. it is possible

r_skipParticles  1 dont helps.

TheBlackMage_lava1.jpg

• Haha 1

Great mission!! Thank you Grayman (r.i.p.), Jack and others, I really enjoyed it. And that " painting"  in remebrance of the great man is really awsome!

Spoiler

I suffered a massive drop in FPS in these caves .. down to 4 fps : O
My graphix card is a geforce GTX 1660 6GB 192 bit GDDR5 and the missions I have done I could run at maximum
settings, never dropping below 60fps ... so it's weird. (I used to play on my laptop before and always had to play on low settings)
I have an older "pc" by the way:
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5570  @ 2.93GHz   2.93 GHz  (2 processors)
RAM: 16,0 GB DDR3
Win 10 pro

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 4:30 PM, tapewolf said:

Okay, that was awesome.  I loved the weird obsession with food - was that part of the original plan, or an addition of your own?

The conversations were particularly good as well, and I particularly like it when a mission has a closing scene.

The only thing I struggled with a bit was the volume level of some of the voices.  That's something I see a lot so it might be the way I have my sound system setup.  I had to restart the mission and crank up the volume to hear what the guys were saying in the opening scene.

All in all, it was fantastic and you've done a brilliant job bringing this to completion.

i had the same problem, and discovered that the background ambiance and SFX could be reduced in settings.... I had mine all the way up.  I guess they are all on separate tracks, as it were.

Stop in at www.everybodyandme.com for all the latest demos and commercials!

Keep listening!

I'm playing on Expert, very enjoyable. I've completed all the main objectives, but can't seem to leave the lava area. Near where I teleported into the area, there's a metal hatch with a lock box and a lamp on the floor. I can't pick open the lock box and I don't have a key for it. How do I proceed?

OK, I needed to use a different teleport, and have now found a key for that hatch.

Edited by Marbrien
Update

Great mission JackFarmer, thanks a lot for your efforts.

Somebody mentioned the captions / subtitles , which is a good idea.

The chef (Bikerdude) spoke very fast , for me it was not easy to get at once where the key was hidden

for the special room, but in the end I managed it. I enjoyed this mission very much.

I wonder if the "special guest" should be searched / found , what is the "Very old key" is for ?

cheers

16 minutes ago, huntaffer said:

I wonder if the "special guest" should be searched / found , what is the "Very old key" is for ?

You didn't find the special guest?

Spoiler

You need the very old key to open a door behind the portal you start in the lava area.

It's worth revisiting the mission if you missed this part.

1 hour ago, datiswous said:

You didn't find the special guest?

Hide contents

You need the very old key to open a door behind the portal you start in the lava area.

It's worth revisiting the mission if you missed this part.

Spoiler

Thanks a lot. It seems I missed that part somehow. Anyway I still miss the point in that objective.

The thing was released , but nothing "fun" really happened afterwards.

For consistency I keep using spoilers.

Spoiler
45 minutes ago, Marbrien said:

For me, when I went back to the lava area, the freed "prisoner" had already eliminated the water elementals,

That's strange, I thought the red fire elemental would only emerge after you go upstairs.

Edited by datiswous

Spoiler

Got it, I expected a bigger thing than fireballs shooting each other . 

Spoiler

Well I think your character also says: the enemy of.. But yeah it's very optional. I never tried moving over the lava area without freeing the special guest first. Might make it more challenging.

Edited by datiswous

This is a great mission so far, maybe an hour in. It's been too long since I've played some FMs, and this is a great one to return to the fold for. Really classic, gives me the old Thief feeling, & I've already had some crazy & fun moments with it.

I got a laugh out of one moment where I put guards on alert outside, made my way to the 2nd floor, and prayed the alert didn't make its way inside. And I thought I pulled it off after four guards or so happily whistled by, until one guard calmly walked outside, closed the door, then half a beat later he comes back in and all hell breaks loose. XD

• Thanks 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

18 hours ago, datiswous said:
  Hide contents

Got it, I expected a bigger thing than fireballs shooting each other . 

Hide contents

Well I think your character also says: the enemy of.. But yeah it's very optional. I never tried moving over the lava area without freeing the special guest first. Might make it more challenging.

Yep, now clear., thanks mate. I just rushed through the lava section to complete the sabotage , did not care about this solution. Based on the view of the destroyed cell I expected a funny monster like creature ,

lilke a cyclops in the Dark Messiah of Might and Magic game.

cheers

Excellent mission from start to finish.  Played on expert mode and had a hell of a time finding the last two artifacts.  Finally got them by repeating to myself: both Grayman and Jack Farmer can be sneaky as hell hiding stuff.  The whole team of mappers and actors were pitch perfect.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gokudo said:

Loved it. The last castle mission I played was House of Theo and this is a quantum leap on that. How the hell did you get those artworks to look so real?

Thank you.

However, I cannot take any credit for the artworks or their appearance in general:

Spoiler

They are either from the mod stock (castle) or provided from forum member OGDA (puzzle room, last crypt room). @Zerg Rushcreated the grayman avatar picture displayed in the dining room.

18 minutes ago, grodenglaive said:

I feel I've searched everywhere at least twice. If anyone would be so kind as to reveal the location.

Spoiler

Volume 2 and 3: Search the attic with white sheets, there is a book somewhere. Search Davenport's room in his chest.

Edited by madtaffer
  • Thanks 1