The Dark Mod Forums

The Black Mage (Grayman, JackFarmer & Friends), December, 24th, 2021

JackFarmer

6 minutes ago, Azaran said:

I had a previous save in the same area but it also crashes.

My exe has 2.0.10.0

Attached is my cfg file

Darkmod.cfg 14.49 kB · 0 downloads

Please update to TDM 2.10 beta 8 ( 210-08 ) using the tdm_installer tool. Stencil shadows are have caused crashes in previous 2.10 builds. Alternately, see if you can reproduce the crash with Shadow Maps enabled. ( r_shadows 2 )

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I just completed the mission on Expert. What a great way to end all my FM playthroughs with TDM 2.09 with this seemingly finale-feel to a mission, since the FMs thereafter (2022) are made for TDM2.10. Kudos to the JackFarmer & friends in continuing with Grayman's work where he left off. Definitely a splendid & a touching dedication I would say.

I did encountered one issue;

Spoiler

the Elemental fights between our special guest with the blue elementals. When i activated the final switch to release the Fire elemental and he goes up to the lava area to clear out the blue ones; when i went back up to the lava area and wait out at the tunnel door behind the teleporter and watch while the elementals duke it out, shortly after hearing "Garrett" saying 'the enemy of my enemy..', the game crashes (screen hung with a mouse). Tried twice with same result.

Then what I did was after releasing the Fire, instead of climbing back up to the lava area, i stayed behind the same revenant area and wait a while, and it didn't crash. When I climb back up, there is only Mr.Fire and 1 blue elemental left hehe. I was still able to watch him fighting off with that 1 remaining blue. Don't know what triggered the crash though. Just to note this workaround if anybody else experiencing this bug.

Other than that, the mission ran fine. Packs quite a challenge escpecially the 2nd half of the mission. 

On a side note;

Spoiler

I found one last loot (by running show_tdm_loot) to be the One Ring inside the lava. Is this intentional or an actual easter egg? If this is the case, then i would say it is impossible to get it & impossible to achieve all loot for this mission (I'm OCD as well) without cheating. hehe

Great job guys!

• Thanks 1

Hint needed. Nearing the end I think and I'm in the area patrolled by

Spoiler

patrolling haunts. Behind an altar are two large frobbable stones on either side. Not sure how to activate them.  BTW, I'm really enjoying this mission. Thank you to all who made it possible. Being new to TDM I was unaware of the loss of some of your community members. Best wishes to all.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still playing this mission but great impressions so far.

Just a minor thing in case it gets the FM gets updated at some point - It seems like your personal consolehistory.dat has been embedded within the "black_mage.pk4" file, so it messes with my own console history. So now I know you typed noclip/notarget/quit wrong several times. :)

Edited by Xolvix
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

21 hours ago, GUFF said:

You have to

Hide contents

find the two items in other sections of the haunt area to put into those two frobbable stone parts to open the door between them.

Got it!  Was able to finish, thanks.  Man I loved the detail and colors in this mission. 

• Thanks 1

OK, finally finished it. Very nice painting in the kitchen - getting up close it's probably the highest resolution texture I've seen so far in TDM so to use it for as a memorial to grayman is very worthy.

As for the mission itself, pretty good, it's the type I like although once the ghosts/undead appear things kinda slowed down a bit due to their inherent difficulties. I only found three of the five artifacts, although it seems like the ones I missed could easily be mistaken for regular items (think it was a cup and a large pot). But hey, that's what replays are for. Still, great mission overall and congrats to those who contributed to it!

• Thanks 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

I'm all done with this excellent mission save one missing artifact.  It's probably another 'Shaz was totally blind despite looking straight at it five times' moment, but... help, please?

Spoiler

It's the one item I can't distinguish in the lineup. Second from left in the picture. Crumpled/smooshed/pile of something? Thanks for any guidance!

I'm so grateful to have this chance to play one last Grayman (plus friends) mission. Thank you JackFarmer and everyone else who contributed. The Thief community is an absolutely fantastic one, despite us all being taffers. I love you all for what you do, and I sincerely mean that.

Oh! And I noticed a typo in the mission readme/info when you're selecting the mission to play. "Infiltrate a castle high up in the montains...". 

Edited by Shaz
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shaz said:

I'm all done with this excellent mission save one missing artifact.  It's probably another 'Shaz was totally blind despite looking straight at it five times' moment, but... help, please?

Reveal hidden contents

It's the one item I can't distinguish in the lineup. Second from left in the picture. Crumpled/smooshed/pile of something? Thanks for any guidance!

The second item from the left is a

Spoiler

crown.

1 hour ago, Shaz said:

'm so grateful to have this chance to play one last Grayman (plus friends) mission.

...and there is more to come:

Bikerdude is currently working on another WIP originally started by Grayman with the working title "Seeking Lady Leicester". I already saw a screenshot and it looks fantastic.

Edited by JackFarmer
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, JackFarmer said:

Bikerdude is currently working on another WIP originally started by Grayman with the working title "Seeking Lady Leicester". I already saw a screenshot and it looks fantastic.

Great, was this a part of William Steele or is separated ? Can Bikerdude show some screenshots?

8 hours ago, madtaffer said:

Great, was this a part of William Steele or is separated ? Can Bikerdude show some screenshots?

"Seeking Lady Leicester" is a standalone mission with no reference to the William Steele series. As to Grayman's wishes, the William Steele series will not be continued by another author.

I am pretty sure that Biker will provide screenshots before the mission release. With Biker at the helm, I expect a true gem honoring Grayman's legacy.

Edited by JackFarmer

Oh goodness, a Grayman mission continued by Bikerdude? That will indeed be a treat to look forward to!

And with regards to my request earlier about the item I was missing...

Spoiler

Wow, seriously, where was my brain, I don't even... I HAD that crown. It was the blasted carafe I was missing. Which, of course, I found nearly instantly upon realizing what, exactly, I was actually looking for.

Thank you, again!

I also want to say that the post-ending scene was a truly beautiful tribute.

• Like 2

The story and the map was good, but it's too hard to find certain things.

I didn't find the second puzzle book and the key to the door from the kitchen, so I needed to check the forum.

But I found a black box in a room instead.

Spoiler

[img]https://i.ibb.co/jfqC154/black-box.jpg[/img]

Sometimes there was a clicking sound when I aimed roughly on the lying book on the bottom of the shelf, I don't know if the two are related.

I keep the save for a while if needed.

On 12/25/2021 at 12:24 PM, JackFarmer said:

Reveal hidden contents

Having designed the chef's character, I needed a reason why he was locked up in the first place. So I got the idea that he was imprisoned for a failed attempt at cooking, although his whole cuisine is already difficult to digest. So there I put references to food in all conversations and books.

Hi

Playing on The dark mage i stumbled on this error and can't play further

Error: - "Multiple entities named "PercyQuill""

What to do??????

I think you can see it in the main menu under new mission or in the darkmod.txt in the specific fm folder, if it is correctly written down by the fm-author.

3 hours ago, fordencore1966 said:

but for now i can say that i downloaded the dark mod just a couple days ago from official site and your level installed automatically

That can't be the case, only 3 fms are automatically included during install and The Black Mage is not one of them.

Edited by datiswous

3 hours ago, fordencore1966 said:

Sorry - i didn't find the place where i could see the version of the level

Nevermind, try the following:

1. Open your DM folder, then open the subfolder "fms"

2. Subfolder fms: search for the subfolder "tbm"

3. Delete the folder "tbm"

4. Download this here:

https://we.tl/t-gxZ9OFhWOx

5. Drop this file (do not change the appendix) into your fms folder.

Restart the mission and please report if the problem still persists.

Edited by JackFarmer

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely splendid mission, this was joy to play, from beginning to the end.

The level design is fantastic, as always, one of the few mission where I had almost 100 loot, bare few trinkets in the final confrontation cave + 2 omitted vases in one of the already searched rooms.

One of the few missions in the long time where I had no trouble finding keys and clues how to continue were hintful enough.

Superb work.

On a more personal note:

I had noticed news about Grayman´s passing some time ago and I am sorry to hear that.
My condolences to the family and closest friends;
As a member of community, I am sad we had lost such a talented modder.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry that Grayman passed away. He was a great contributor to the community and a great mapper. In The North was awesome, and so were the subsequent missions.

Once this is out of the way,

IMO this mission falls partially into the category "by veterans, for veterans". I have already mentioned the tendency of "puzzle creep" in The Dark Mod missions throughout the years. How did you find all 3 poems? I had to go and read here to find out. The manor is sprawling, there is no map, and there are guards to avoid.

The phantom warriors were so hard, via the console I spawned a dozen mines and threw them in their way: problem solved; all the while, saying the motto of the Mandalorian, "This is the Way", while blowing up countless skellies.😎🤣

P.s. The map was still awesome, with good variety in design and environments; the manor was also well thought-out, no drops in performance.
P.p.s. Frobbing the prison key from the guy was impossible, I had to knock him out
P.p.p.s Once you have sabotaged the machine and gotten back to the lava room, how do you get out? Another guide-dang-it moment

Edited by Netos

7 hours ago, Netos said:

P.p.s. Frobbing the prison key from the guy was impossible, I had to knock him out

No.

7 hours ago, Netos said:

P.p.p.s Once you have sabotaged the machine and gotten back to the lava room, how do you get out? Another guide-dang-it moment

Exit.

7 hours ago, Netos said:

and there are guards to avoid.

Yes, it's a stealth game.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished this. Very nice mission. I especially liked...

Spoiler

... the architecture. The layout of the mansion/castle was great, and, there was a logical, linear way to the main objectives, which is great.

The atmosphere was great, both in the mansion, and, especially, in the crypts. I'm a sucker for dark places, so, it was a nice mission for that.

The visuals were great, and very coherent. Nothing felt out of place.

The difficulty was just about right, even though I can understand the comment above about the mission rather appealing to veterans. Actually, that's a thing with most missions. They rather apply to people who play Thief games for centuries. I got used to it now though, and sneak past the undead where I meet them. There's no way around that anyway, with the amount of weapons you get in the missions, there's no way to kill all undead.

The objectives were clear and comprehensible. The readables were well made.

What I would criticize a bit is the voice acting. Some voices/actors were good, some not so. Also, I found some of the dialogs too long. It's frustrating for me to have to listen to a dialog about food, when I'm crouching in a corner, and wait for one of the guys walk off, so I can blackjack them both. I felt that the dialogs could be shortened to the essential, it seemed a bit excessive here and there.

All in all, yeah, great mission. I'm always stunned again at the quality of the more current missions. Not that the older ones are bad, but, this is a whole new level, especially in terms of variety, scripting, and, overall, professionality.

P.S.: In regards of the "puzzle creep" mentioned above, TDM missions can't have enough puzzles for me. Big fan of those. If they're well made and not too unobvious, of course.

Edited by chakkman