The Dark Mod Forums

How config PS5 controller in Steam?

Fidcal

I've plugged my ps5 joypad into my pc's usb. It seems to recognise it in game because move and camera work and a couple of (wrong) buttons. My problem is how to map buttons to keys, specifically for Splinter Cell. Steam's recommended buttons don't fully work.

So far I've added an action set and named it Splinter Cell. As a test I assigned key C (crouch) to the X button. It shows in the config on screen. But when I switch to the game itself it doesn't work. How do I assign the action set to the game itself?

I've had about four sessions trying and got nowhere! I've tried export but that did nothing. I once saw 'apply' I think on another page but when I clicked it there was no noticeable effect.

• Like 1

Thanks, yes, I did try that a couple of days ago without success. DS4Windows is supposed to enable any joypad on PC, but when run it said .NET needs to be installed. So I installed it. It stills kept saying .NET needs to be installed. I checked and .NET is correctly installed. But DS4W still won't run, it just says .NET needs to be installed! :(

I keep fiddling with Steam's gamepad config but still no luck. But I have found the steam general discussion forum finally. Initially, I clicked community but then no sign of a general steam discussion forum, only games. Several days later I discovered you need to hover over the word 'Community' not click it, then you get a drop down. 🙄

Many thanks, yes that was the problem. I didn't even know there were different versions of .NET (nor do I really know what it is!) The message when DS4W ran was you need .NET blah blah download? I just clicked and downloaded .NET! Now if DS4W had add in caps: MAKE SURE YOU GET DESKTOP VERSION! it would have save me a lot of trouble.

Anyway, got DS4W running, but as with Steam there are ZERO instructions. So, blunder through guessing what to do... DS4W recognises my controller. I ran my Steam game and disabled controller support in Steam to avoid conflict. In DS4W I created a profile and named it SPLINTER CELL ONE. I set triangle to be key C (crouch) as a test. Saved the profile. Can't see anything else so went in game. NOTHING. So, exactly as with Steam, you can guess how to bind keys but no clue how to apply that to the controller in-game. The controller does respond in the test window in DS4W.

I've had one or two sessions a day for the last week or so trying to get this game to work with a controller but I can't spend all day so I'll try again later or tomorrow.

I usually find when I eventually discover how something works that I can explain it step by step to someone else in about 10 easy steps. That should be in Steam and DS4W but alas, they have a totally different mindset and assume everyone has a crystal ball. :(

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Many thanks. I took a long look at that doc along with the software. I'm getting the impression it should basically work without any further config on games that work with the xbox controller (which Splinter Cell 1 doesn't.) To emulate the keyboard I'd need an extra thing called Faker something which I might look at in the future. Right now I'm sick of the whole thing.

I went back yet again to Steam and can still make no sense of it. I click one button and a panel pops up saying your ps5 controller is now running the config from Smith (which is my user name on Steam.) However, it simply doesn't! The game just has the same basic move movements and not my test config at all. I've checked several guides on Utube but they show a different button that is not present now so presumably they are out of date and Steam has changed.

I give up on Steam. I might check back in a few months or so but otherwise, I've had enough.

Thanks again.

BREAKTHROUGH! :)

I actually made progress! Thinking about keyboard bindings made me wonder if I was supposed to set the desktop settings instead of game settings so I went back to Steam. I was wrong, but while there I set Xbox support as well as PS5 support. That needed a pc reboot. Still no different, but then I went to preferences where you can set the light colour and other trivia on the controller. But there is a submit button. Now my key test worked! All totally non-obvious of course!

Also found mouse sensitivity setting in the game itself and that fixed the camera turn (probably would also work on the steam sensitivity setting too now I know how to submit it.)

Not been able to assign a key to the joystick click for some reason (well I assigned a key but it didn't work in-game even after submit.

Anyway, if I figure it all out I'll post a more precise instruction here at some point.

Also hopeful I can get this to work in Dark Mod now.

.NET is just an api like msvcr runtimes, mostly geared towards gui's and was once ment to replace the aging MFC library. unlike msvcr runtimes it can be a problem installing older versions on say win10 so microsoft made them backward compatible to a point. rule of thumb install the latest non core version, i think at this time its 4.8.

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet-framework/net48

.NET core is multiplatform and im not sure it is backwards compatible with the old .NET.

BREAKDOWN!

Just a heads up that my earlier euphoria was misplaced. The Steam Controller config is full of unpredictable inconsistencies that no sane person could understand. I suspect the only gamers who have any success with it are those playing more modern games that already have xbox support. To bind specific keys to buttons produces a config you can save, but applying it to the game is frustratingly near-impossible. I even got earlier tests I'd made applying themselves that I'd not selected!

In the end I deleted all my saved configs except one. At some point thereafter I did a test but in-game the only thing that worked was the triangle button produced crouch. Nothing else worked. I recognised this as an early test I made! So how did it suddenly get applied? No idea. There are no other saved settings of mine but my current one which has most of the buttons and keys defined. I simply cannot get it work in the game.

But because occasionally something does affect the controller settings, surely there is a way?

Sadly, I can only endure sessions of up to an hour before giving up again. Total time wasted so far I estimate at 15 to 20 hours.

• Sad 2

Well, I think I made another breakthrough last night, but I have to confirm it with more testing. My current theory is you need to export then import again plus some other non-obvious stuff.

As for that video link, I'll check it out but I've already looked at several vids and none of them were complete and didn't solve the problem. Mostly they seemed out of date, as if Steam's config pages had changed and buttons removed that were shown in the video but not in present Steam.

Thanks, datiswous.

OK, well that video doesn't deal with the steam config problem but it does relate to other possible probs/fixes so I'll come back to that if needed. Incidentally, he paid $10 for Splinter Cell; I paid about $1.40 - yeah that's right, ONE dollar forty! Now if I can just get it to work...

Thanks again.

GREAT NEWS! Finally getting consistent results. So good that I've now installed Dark Mod again and began configuring it to play with the controller. This is effing great! So glad I persevered.

I'll post a proper instruction eventually and probably a config for Dark Mod. You can run Dark Mod through Steam by adding it to your Steam library. There's no charge for joining Steam itself so it's worth it just to use 'any' game pad controller.

Thanks for help! :)

• Like 2

On 1/30/2022 at 9:02 AM, Fidcal said:

OK, well that video doesn't deal with the steam config problem

Well I was wondering if you really need Steam to get the controller to work. Maybe there are other ways, including what is shown in the video.

I personally have Splinter Cell on cd-rom (I just found out, bought it years ago), but I have a steam controller, so I would need Steam anyway and I'm using Linux. Great match.

HAHA! Right now I'm playing Dark Mage with my PS5 controller! I've just managed to configure the touch pad to lean left, right, forward, and crouch.

[EDIT - I meant Black Mage, of course. I've been reading too much Harry Potter fan fiction!]

Mapping? In a perfect world with more spare time I could have fun mapping again. No plans currently but never say never.

• 2 weeks later...