The Dark Mod Forums

Beta testing Bat2.0

STRUNK

On 1/27/2022 at 11:24 AM, STRUNK said:

instead it has a deathScript that makes the bat disappear with a visual effect.

Would be cool to have a visual effect that transforms a human ai into a bat. I guess you could make some sort of poof effect with smoke so that you can't see (and don't need) the actual transformation (cheap B-movie effect). There are already vampire ai in tdm if I remember correctly. Sorry I get a bit off topic here..

Edited by datiswous

11 hours ago, datiswous said:

Would be cool to have a visual effect that transforms a human ai into a bat.

You are more then welcome experiment with that wous : )
I think in combination with a blinding effect , then spawning a vampire at the bats location, this shouldn't be that difficult
. You could also have vampires turn into bats when you shoot them I guess.

Edited by STRUNK
  • Like 2

Is there some way to see they are following a path? I set a path, but they don't seem to follow it, but it's hard to see.

Well I guess I can make them wait at certain points..

Also, is Animal patrol mode supposed to be on? I don't know what it does (no wiki page afaik).

Edited by datiswous

5 minutes ago, datiswous said:

Is there some way to see they are following a path? I set a path, but they don't seem to follow it, but it's hard to see.

Well I guess I can make them wait at certain points..

Also, is Animal patrol mode supposed to be on? I don't know what it does (no wiki page afaik).

Animal patrol causes them to randomly path around in a 240 unit radius, ignoring actual path nodes. Its intentional.

Btw, you can put a tick in "Show help" atop the Entity Inspector in DR to show editor tooltips for spawnargs that have them.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

Btw, you can put a tick in "Show help" atop the Entity Inspector in DR to show editor tooltips for spawnargs that have them.

There's no help info for Animal patrol mode.

13 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

Animal patrol causes them to randomly path around in a 240 unit radius, ignoring actual path nodes. Its intentional.

If I would disable the Animal patrol mode, should they then correctly following the path?

18 hours ago, datiswous said:

If I would disable the Animal patrol mode, should they then correctly following the path?

Yes, although I haven't tested the bats with paths (I haven't ever done something with paths)
When you open the .def file of the bat there are some spawnargs commented out (with // in front):

"patrol"				"1" 	
//	"wander"				"1"		// "if set to 1, visit path_* targets randomly, otherwise visit them in order."
//	"wait"					"0"     // "How long to wait before following path.  Monster will be unresponsive until this time has passed."

"animal_patrol"			"1"
	"animal_patrol_wait"	"0" 	//New float to adjust wait time in animal_patrol mode before choosing a new destination.

You can change the spawnargs in the .def file, and reload defs in DR, (removing the // in front wil have them be read by the game). Or you can chnge them in the entity inpector in DR.
For following paths "animal_patrol" should be "0" and "patrol"  "1". I think "wait" should be "0" also, otherwise bats might wait too long at reached path nodes.

On 1/29/2022 at 12:07 AM, Dragofer said:

I think the spawnargs are defined in the def files, right? The help-info for Animal patrol mode is (ironically) often missing from animal AI.

Or at least it is defined in tdm_ai_base.def and then possibly overridden by the def file, because for example the file tdm_ai_animal_rat.def has

"animal_patrol"					"1"

in it without help-description, so DR doesn't show the help info, but if I comment it out in, the help info is shown in DR. I guess some spawnargs don't have to be added in the def files, because they're already placed in the tdm_ai_base.def (except if they actually have a different default state)? Seems to me there's a lot of redundant code in these def files which override the code in the in the tdm_ai_base.def (at least if I understand correctly).

Edited by datiswous

12 minutes ago, datiswous said:

Or at least it is defined in tdm_ai_base.def and then possibly overridden by the def file, because for example the file tdm_ai_animal_rat.def has

"animal_patrol"					"1"

Editor tooltips are defined separately from the values for the spawnargs. For example:

"editor_var animal_patrol" "Causes the AI to move around randomly."

"animal_patrol" "1"

Tooltips are inherited in the same way as the values, so if an entityDef doesn't override them then they'll be used from the inherited entity.

The fact that you dont see the tooltip might be because of a bug in DR 2.14 with inherited spawnargs that causes, among other things, the tooltips to not be shown on inherited spawnargs.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 10:27 AM, STRUNK said:

I don't know what causes that. Anyone?

I think that the dmap is suposed to generate an .aas96 file for the map. Correct? But this doesn't happen and you get that error at mapstart. Maybe that is the reason?

On 1/29/2022 at 10:24 AM, STRUNK said:

Yes, although I haven't tested the bats with paths

I tried your suggestions in different ways, but the bats always just do their own thing in other kind of circles. If no aas file is used then maybe that could be the reason?

Edit: I tested with cvar tdm_ai_showdest 1 enabled and it seems the bat flies a random amount of circles around every path entity in the specified path. Sometimes skipping one.

Edit 2: If the room is small, the bat sometimes flies through walls/ceilings

Edited by datiswous

On 1/31/2022 at 3:44 PM, datiswous said:

If the room is small, the bat sometimes flies through walls/ceilings

The box around the bat is bigger then the bat itself, so they don't go with their wings in the wall and not with their body in the ground when they do the dive anim. I noticed when I put them in a map too close too the wall, floor, ceiling, they go through it, like putting a builder in with their legs in the ground a bit. Maybe that is causing this in your small space?

On 1/31/2022 at 3:44 PM, datiswous said:

I think that the dmap is suposed to generate an .aas96 file for the map.

I really don't know how that works or should unfortunately.

Pretty strange. If the map has anything that points to an old version of the entity, then the map compiler will think that it needs AAS.

If dmap doesn't cure it, then the map may need to be edited unless you have simply added the new def to the old package and thus now both defs exist with one not linked to the map?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

9 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

unless you have simply added the new def to the old package and thus now both defs exist with one not linked to the map?

There's only one def that is the one from the bat2.0 package. I also tested on a completelly new map.

I noticed that in tdm_ai_bat.def it says:

"use_aas" 	            "aas_96"

While I think it should be (correct?):

"use_aas" 	            "aas96"

At least that's how the dmod log states it. Changing that in the def file does not make any difference..

2 minutes ago, datiswous said:

I noticed that in tdm_ai_bat.def it says:

"use_aas" 	            "aas_96"

While I think it should be (correct?):

"use_aas" 	            "aas96"

At least that's how the dmod log states it. Changing that in the def file does not make any difference..

Thats probably the problem. Did you restart TDM or reloadDecls after changing that to aas96?