The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission : Hazard Pay by Kingsal 01/27/22

kingsal

Reinventing zombies (who were always just slow damage sponges) and giving the player the tools to deal with them creatively was a refreshing change of pace, similar to what we saw with Sotha's Ulysses series. Factor in an aesthetically appealing new environment and lots of ways to approach or get around stealth puzzles and you have an excellent mission.

Also lots of great environmental storytelling going on, though I'd definitely have lapped up some more readables to learn some more about the world you built. Overall this makes this mission feel quite similar to Full Moon Fever (which is my favourite mission).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kingsal said:

I've updated to 1.4. Mostly minor bug fixes and made a few jumps and ropes less annoying. . 
DOWNLAOD HAZARD 1.4

Whenever I do use a gear to do a save, I crash to desktop (at least at the first place I can save). The save is made, but still..

Edit: When I try to do a second save with the second gear, I get another crash to desktop, but not another save, so it's lost.

Oh and I get 30 warnings in the console..

Edited by datiswous

9 minutes ago, datiswous said:

Whenever I do use a gear to do a save, I crash to desktop (at least at the first place I can save). The save is made, but still..

Edit: When I try to do a second save with the second gear, I get another crash to desktop, but not another save, so it's lost.

Are you using an old save by chance after downloading 1.4 or starting the mission over fresh? I forgot to mention old saves will not work if you download the new version.

Congrats on the release, I would love to play it but I am having trouble finding the "Start Mission".

I have downloaded and installed "beta 2.50" and "beta 2.6" and once The Dark Mod starts I can select the mission but there is no "Start Mission". I select the mission and the game restarts and I click on new mission as I have allways done and it goes back to the same screen with no start mission..

I also tried to load a saved game and got an error. (not that I figured it would work anyway)

I then downloaded and tried a few other new "beta 2.xx" missions and get the same result.
 Soooo, what am I doing wrong?. This is my first time using a Beta release.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Davd said:

Congrats on the release, I would love to play it but I am having trouble finding the "Start Mission".

I have downloaded and installed "beta 2.50" and "beta 2.6" and once The Dark Mod starts I can select the mission but there is no "Start Mission". I select the mission and the game restarts and I click on new mission as I have allways done and it goes back to the same screen with no start mission..

I also tried to load a saved game and got an error. (not that I figured it would work anyway)

I then downloaded and tried a few other new "beta 2.xx" missions and get the same result.
 Soooo, what am I doing wrong?. This is my first time using a Beta release.

Thanks.

Just to make sure, this is the option you should select in the TDM Installer. There is no beta 2.50 or 2.6, only beta210-05 and beta210-06.

image.png.a0ee2c0fce6ed6727467708da82a6e0b.png

You need to use the tdm_installer then select "custom version" then find 2.10 Beta and select 210-06.

This thread has images of the installer tool:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The "Start this Mission" button has been moved to the top of the main menu in 2.10 in an effort to streamline the procedure for selecting&starting missions.

• Like 1

It looks like you have the right version now.

Just to be sure, I would re-run tdm_installer to have it check your pk4 archives for any missing data.

Do you have any mod packages installed into TDM ? Any mod with a customized GUI might break this screen.

Also, make sure your darkmod/fms folder has the correct ownership and permissions

Thanks nbohrmore for the info but it is still the same.

I did a re-install 3 times and re-run tdm_installer twice more afterward with no problem reported.

I have no mpd packages installed and no customized GUI.

I have full ownership and permissions for the darkmod folders and all others as well.

I run TheDarkModx64.exe as administrator.

I have run virus and maleware scans with no problems detected.

I have re-started the computer twice for good measure.

I have never had a problem with theDarkMod before and I have played all missions available on the mission downlaod page. It is the first time that I attempted to play a "beta" mission so I figured I was doing something wrong but I can find no problem.

Thanks - this is allmost as much fun as playing a mission.

Heh..

What about the missions that come with TDM such as "Mission 1: A New Job" does it have the "Start this Mission" text?

What about downloading a small mission like "Closemouthed Shadows" via the in-game downloader ?

Please post your darkmod.cfg

Please open the console via CTRL+ALT+Tilde ( ~ ) and invoke "condump bad_menu.txt" then post the resultant file here.

nbohr1more,

I tried "a new job" same result

I downloaded "closedmouthed shadows" via the in game downloader and same result.

Looking through my config file I see alot of errors - so many that I had to remove the most of them to make the file small enough to post. The total size was 1.31 meg before editing. I guess obviously some thing is amiss.

Anyhow, here is the file.

Thanks and good luck.

BAD MENU.txt

4 hours ago, Davd said:

nbohr1more,

I tried "a new job" same result

I downloaded "closedmouthed shadows" via the in game downloader and same result.

Looking through my config file I see alot of errors - so many that I had to remove the most of them to make the file small enough to post. The total size was 1.31 meg before editing. I guess obviously some thing is amiss.

Anyhow, here is the file.

Thanks and good luck.

BAD MENU.txt 62.32 kB · 0 downloads

It looks like you installed your missions right under your "dark mod" folder:

H:\dark mod\ac1.pk4 (627 files) 

rather than under darkmod/fms .

If any of them have main menu overrides they will break the menus for all missions.

You should also avoid having spaces in folder names. We currently work with this but at any moment some code bug

could manifest that doesn't like spaces in folder names.

Once you relocated your missions to the /darkmod/fms/ directory, re-run tdm_installer and see if the problem persists.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

It looks like you installed your missions right under your "dark mod" folder:

H:\dark mod\ac1.pk4 (627 files) 

rather than under darkmod/fms .

If any of them have main menu overrides they will break the menus for all missions.

You should also avoid having spaces in folder names. We currently work with this but at any moment some code bug

could manifest that doesn't like spaces in folder names.

Once you relocated your missions to the /darkmod/fms/ directory, re-run tdm_installer and see if the problem persists.

Thanks, That worked.

I removed the spaces in folder names and moved missions to fms directory.

Things are working as they should.

I Thank you for helping me out, it is greatly appreciated. Now I gotta go play.

Cheers

David

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What an amazing mission! When I looked out onto the desert I could hardly believe that you made this in TDM. It still surprises me, how different TDN missions can get. I have a suggestion though: If the zombie headshot is a feature of the mission, it should be mentioned somewhere. Also could this be included into the core mod or at least in my Unofficial Patch? The same goes for the fire arrow setting multiple targets on fire. Both are great new additions! Could I use them?

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 2

On 2/6/2022 at 1:06 AM, datiswous said:

I'm also getting a crash to desktop (Linux, TDM 2.10 final). It seems to happen after the game creates an autosave (the one called Desert). I'm playing on Normal so I can't comment on save rooms. Ordinary manual quicksaving is unaffected.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

3 hours ago, VanishedOne said:

I'm also getting a crash to desktop (Linux, TDM 2.10 final). It seems to happen after the game creates an autosave (the one called Desert). I'm playing on Normal so I can't comment on save rooms. Ordinary manual quicksaving is unaffected.

Ah sorry thats happening. Sounds like there is something going on with the new savegame feature and linux. Unfortunately, the developer who made this hasn't been a round in a while. I'll log the bug and hopefully it will get fixed soon.

Congratulations on the release. Bit late but just found it. Gotta say I hate that the bots have gas grenades. Bit OP I think, dead in less than 3 seconds from almost full health. lol

Really cool mission with lots of new things to do. Big sprawling map had excellent performance on my pretty good Ryzen 7 with Nv 1070. Didn't like the bubblebots much but they sure were interesting, but another very cool mission from you and I really liked it alot. Thank you. :)

Edited by NeonsStyle
  • Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Kingsal: You did it. You actually did it. Something I thought damn near impossible. You made me enjoy...nay, adore, a zombie mission. I even went into this mission with a sigh of 'ugh, zombies, I hate zombies, <sigh> well let me get through this one so I can hopefully rate it without prejudice' (doesn't matter what media, I really, really hate zombies).

Now, I did not play on Expert, because I dislike the 'checkpoint' kind of saving system about as much as I dislike zombies, so I didn't want to start off with two strikes against this mission. I began full stealth, and maintained that (aside from the first prompt with fire arrows, to see what they'd do), for most of the mission. Then when I was almost done, I went full on zombie slayer so I could check nooks and crannies and find my last missing secret. I enjoyed BOTH the sneaking-past-zombies AND the killing-all-zombies (THANK YOU for modifying their kill requirements). My expectations were completely upended, and I end my evening absolutely amazed, and very grateful to be so very, very wrong.

I had wished for more readables, something that might shed some light on what might've happened here, but then when

Spoiler

I removed that mask from the pillar that then sunk down and zombies spawned

I kind of had an answer, I think, or at least an idea. Good game, sir, very good game, bravo!

• Like 4

Great mission!

I'm not a big fan of horror missions, but I can play underground zombie adventures anytime. And this was a great one. Very much enjoyed the size, verticality, the way you get to see different places from more points of view in different parts of the mission and really the level design overall. Beautiful.

Grouping zombies and blowing them up with a fire arrow was very satisfying. Played on hard because I wasn't in the mood for save rooms and the difficulty was fine, not too difficult, although I did savescum quite a bit to land headshots. Found 3 out of 5 secrets.

Question:

Spoiler

What was up with the guy hiding on the hanging platform? Was he there just to support the setting and atmosphere or could you actually do something with him? I tried giving him an apple since he said he was so hungry, without success. :D 

I encountered a few bugs, some of them possibly 2.10 bugs not specific to your mission:

Spoiler

1. The game crashed once right after shooting a zombie in the face. I realized also happened once while playing Iris, which doesn't uses zombies, so it might be a 2.10 bug. 

2. After loading a save the bow got weirdly stuck - pressing the mouse button brought it up and immediately back down again, releasing the mouse button did nothing, switching to a different weapon and back fixed it. I believe this also happened in Iris, so probably a 2.10 bug too, just adding for completeness.

3. The guy you buy or steal the code from sounds like he's talking from the left (his right). When I stand in front of him and look straight at him, I hear him about 75% in my left headphone. 

4. Leaning during the minecart ride doesn't work but causes you to lean automatically after you dismount it, which is a bit confusing. "Is this hallway slanted to the side or am I drunk?" However pressing the lean button again fixes it to normal stance, so not a big deal.

5. A few screenshots with descriptions of problems: https://imgur.com/a/UtBDosU

• Thanks 1

• kingsal changed the title to Fan Mission : Hazard Pay by Kingsal 01/27/22