Written in Stone [2022/01/28]

Amadeus

Story Quality and Theme (Stars)  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Story Quality and Theme (Stars)

2. 2. Gameplay Quality (Stars)

3. 3. Visual Quality (Stars)

1 hour ago, madtaffer said:

Where do I find the real formula for elixir? With mage's glasses? Or is it written in stone somewhere as a punchline?

Spoiler

It's in a well-guarded room in the library that you can see through a gate, but can only access by a different route by using a special item on something. The formula is written in stone, no glasses required to reach or see it.

3 hours ago, Dragofer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It's in a well-guarded room in the library that you can see through a gate, but can only access by a different route by using a special item on something. The formula is written in stone, no glasses required to reach or see it.

Thank you. It's ok. You don't have to write in spoilers.

I've found another door I have to use blowtorch on but I don't have any fuel for it. Where do I find the fuel?

Spoiler

Also I've found a secret book which opens something but I can't find what has opened.

l8IRyB.jpg

The spoiler tags aren't for you, it's for the rest of us reading this thread so WE don't get spoiled.

Thanks for spoiling the frobbable book on a shelf for the rest of us.

EDIT: I'll be unsubscribing to this thread to avoid further spoilers. Maybe I'll check back after I've finished the mission Amadeus

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

4 hours ago, madtaffer said:

Thank you. It's ok. You don't have to write in spoilers.

I've found another door I have to use blowtorch on but I don't have any fuel for it. Where do I find the fuel?

Hide contents

Also I've found a secret book which opens something but I can't find what has opened.

l8IRyB.jpg

Yeah please use spoilers in order to avoid spoilering people who haven't found the things you have found, especially the 2nd half of the mission. You can put something in spoilers by clicking on the eye symbol, at the top of the text box.

Re: blow torch - I think that's a question from the Hazard Pay mission by Kingsal.

Re: where that leads to:

Spoiler

it opens something in the northwest part of the room, along the north wall, on the ground floor.

Amazing mission! Just finished it on easy. Really nice use of 'special effects' of various kinds (don't want spoil things). Great design, very attractive. Fun to play.

Spoiler

The mage's glasses were brilliant - what a clever idea!

I didn't get many secrets, so I know I missed some things. Questions:

Spoiler

1) There's a door in the library that opens to a solid rock wall. The glasses didn't see through it either.

2) The Crystal Sword Key and Arcane Rod - how do I use those?

Thanks again for an outstanding mission!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for playing @joebarnin. I'm glad you liked it! To answer your questions:

Spoiler

1. D'oh, that is definitely a mistake on our part. We are working on version 1.1 so we will get that squared away

2. Hints to the use of both of these is in the archmage journal and the Pupil's journal but they are pretty subtle, but if you want a bigger hint.........

Spoiler

Try using the arcane rod on the crystal pedestals near the camgoyles.

For the crystal key: Make your way back to the mage tower and try it on the teleporter

As for the secrets, you are on your own. Gonna have to pry those secrets from my cold dead hands before I give em up!!! :D

Edited by Amadeus

1 hour ago, Filizitas said:

Is there gonna be an update for this?
Can i play it or should i wait?

We actually have an update that's almost ready - only looking at a slightly more complex issue regarding stims emitted from special arrow types. Not essential, so we may just release it as is if we don't come to a viable solution soon.

• Like 1

@peter_spyhas let us know that he intended to vote 3-3-3 rather than 3-1-3 in story-gameplay-visuals. Doesnt look like its possible to change your vote after its been cast, so just something to take into account when voting ends.

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

Rotate vertical decal:CrUp2vt.png

When the window opens, light bleeds through the wall onto the beam at the base of the stairs.
Also looks like a misaligned decal on the corner of the stairs:

lUTFPca.png

LOL woops:

kJ7sb0U.png

Hole in the world:

ZhcRSWd.png

Roof not attached to wall:

RnarkUT.png

Right at the start, going down the stairs, there's a hole in the wall:

1m0lYmb.png

Light bleeding through window, into the kitchen through the wall.

k5WSFzp.png

Woops 2:

bqeuE6g.png

Speed run strats lol:

miz1enP.png

ZFighting on the arch at the top of the gate:

ip3TQrF.png

Hole in the world:

R882i8d.png

Cockwit not flush against the door:

JMsP8Qb.png

Paletts set to no shadows looks really bad:

zCzJROp.png

More holes in the world:

d47XZNP.pngBqBP1a5.png

This opens into the floor:

38KZIZm.png

Bottle under elevator is floating:

Ms0uFnb.png

Visportal cuts off the roofs of the 2 farthest buildings:

wb1k6Li.png

Roof line has some misaligned patches/brushes:

Lca2wWr.png

Light bleed:

NTILObD.png

• Thanks 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

2 hours ago, madtaffer said:
  Hide contents

I can't proceed because inquisitor face doesn't acknowledge it is there in b8written-2022-02-19-4f.jpg

Spoiler

You have to have the skull selected in the inventory and frob or press "enter" on the pedestal.

• Thanks 1

Okay, that was absolutely amazing.

I found it got off to a bit of a slow start, I got lost a lot in the early sections and had no idea where to go at first because the streets were all blocked off from one another.  A lot of FMs (and of course, Thief itself) will colour in the section of the map you're currently in - something like that would probably have made my life easier since I'd at least have a better idea of where I was.

However, once I actually found where I was going, it got a lot more fluid and really engrossing.  That new special effect was put to an excellent use.  The writing was good too, just enough readables to paint a clear picture of what had gone wrong.

This map also has the dubious honour of being the first one I've played that caused the Threadripper/Vega56 setup to jitter.  Some of Jack Farmer's missions have caused the fan to go into overdrive, but this one actually made it stutter in a way I haven't seen for many years.  I'm not sure how much of that is the map and how much is down to 2.10 being beta (since it may have been built with optimisations off for debugging etc).

One question:

Spoiler

Did we find out what happened to the mage from the tower whose glasses I nicked?  Since they were still there I presume he was in bed or something, but I was half expecting to run into him or his remains in the Mage complex.

Anyway, congratulations on making an awesome mission, I really enjoyed that.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tapewolf said:

One question:

Hey, thanks for playing, glad to hear you enjoyed it! As for your question, nah, he's just out for the night, nothing particularly interesting is going on with him; Arnas, however, seems to have a secret or two ;)