The Dark Mod Forums

Written in Stone [2022/01/28]

Amadeus

Story Quality and Theme (Stars)  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Story Quality and Theme (Stars)

2. 2. Gameplay Quality (Stars)

3. 3. Visual Quality (Stars)

My young daughter and I are still still playing this FM, but we just wanted to write and say how much we're enjoying it Amadeus!!

The quality is off the scale, the sets, textures and game design are right up there with a lot of AAA titles out there! It's amazing what you've managed to pull off.

Thank-you from the bottom of our hearts to everybody who contributed to this mission - you all make the world a brighter place, and your efforts are really, deeply appreciated!!! Seriously, we love it :)

Edited by mango777
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks mango777! I'm glad you two are enjoying it! This FM was a herculean effort made by myself, Dragofer, and Bikerdude, but it is always great to hear that the fruits of our labor have paid off :)

Edited by Amadeus
  • Like 2

I've loved this mission, and I've pretty much completed it, but there is one door/gate I cannot figure out how to open.

Spoiler

Down in the sewers, near the lady with the Cistern key, is a locked, unpickable gate. I cannot figure out how to get that open, and it looks like there's loot back there, which I must pilfer! I've gone all over the area with and without the glasses on, but I can't figure out how to get in.

19 minutes ago, datiswous said:

Also the one downloadable from the main thread is version 1. Where is version 1.1 ?

I just checked, I'm pretty sure it is 1.1; I think I might have been a dummy though and forgot to edit the notes mentioning as such.

And as for your question @Shaz:

19 hours ago, Shaz said:
Spoiler

Down in the sewers, near the lady with the Cistern key, is a locked, unpickable gate. I cannot figure out how to get that open, and it looks like there's loot back there, which I must pilfer! I've gone all over the area with and without the glasses on, but I can't figure out how to get in.

Spoiler

Check the readable near the lady in the sewer. That will lead you to where you need to go

34 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

And as for your question @Shaz:

Reveal hidden contents

Check the readable near the lady in the sewer. That will lead you to where you need to go

Spoiler

Is the readable one you can pick up, or is it stationary? There's no stationary notes. The only readable I have on me that might be pertinent (and it was a while back so not sure where I found it) is Sewer Note. Is that it?

Edit to add: If so, I've been all over the sewers with the glasses on, fruitlessly.

EDIT AGAIN ARGH
HOW DID I MISS THAT NOTE UNDER THE PILLOW ON THE BUNKBED
I AM SO BLIND

Especially given HOW MANY TIMES I freaking SCOURED this area

And now, the mission is complete. Thank you for a wonderful experience, my own blindness notwithstanding!

And...eww...um...that is a very... different ... pick'pocket'.

Edited by Shaz
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I just checked, I'm pretty sure it is 1.1; I think I might have been a dummy though and forgot to edit the notes mentioning as such.

Well, if you don't change the version info, the updater will not know and it will not serve the update, I think.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, datiswous said:

Well, if you don't change the version info, the updater will not know and it will not serve the update, I think.

I just uploaded version 1.2 (this has a few additional bugfixes) and they can be found in the OP. Will notify the devs to get this in the uploader as well. Thanks for pointing this out!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, datiswous said:

The updater uses its own version number which is always an integer, entered manually by the FM manager and not in any way affected by the darkmod.txt or any other files in the .pk4.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dragofer said:

The updater uses its own version number which is always an integer, entered manually by the FM manager and not in any way affected by the darkmod.txt or any other files in the .pk4.

What is the reason I didn't get the 1.1 download in the updater then?

Edit: Ahh probably version 1.1 was the first version I installed. I think the version info should be aplied automatically from the info from the downloader then, this way there is no confusement when the fm-owner doesn't state the version info correctly.

Edited by datiswous
  • Like 1

Finished it yesterday, albeit with only about 2/3 of the loot and 5 secrets. But it shows that it is even playable by a newbie at difficult. I'll definitely try again next week and hope to get everything then. I won't try ghosting, I'll leave that to @Vman339, waiting for one of his perfect stealth walks (nudge, nudge). 

AWESOME mission! Stunning visual effects, great storyline, great gameplay, great ideas! Thank you!

Looking forward to try it again (and again ...).

Edited by Axel2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, wesp5 said:

Is this not part of the core game? I think it should be if it isn't!

It is not, at least not yet (although, I do think it should be in the core too). These footprints is all thanks to Dragofer's tireless efforts in getting AI to leave footprints.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerberox said:
Spoiler

I can't find anything to write down the elixir receipt in a whole library. Any hints? 

Spoiler

Check the archmage's journal, it should give you a hint about where you can find the necessary tools.

• Thanks 1

A very nice mission! I admit it felt a bit underwhelming at first when I thought that it's "just" a well-made city mission, after playing some of the other recent amazing missions... But it wasn't, it was something else, so good work!

Spoiler

I'm not the biggest fan of undead with perfect hearing on tile floors, so that was a bit annoying at first, but one swift genocide later everything was calm and quiet. Have to wonder why the inquisitors couldn't do that!

By the way the secret Grayman's area was beautiful. Great idea. 

I encountered some bugs though, although some may be 2.10 bugs, so here they are:

Spoiler
  • Every time I make a step on the fabric roofs of the market stalls, my vision bobs down and up again quite a bit. It happens when I stop, right when I release the button. Happens both when crouching and standing. It's possible this is a feature and I just haven't noticed it before, it just feels weird.
    • edit: this does not happen on the same stall roofs in Elixir.
  • I encountered different glitches with two of the cameras in the library:
    • The first one on the first floor with the display cases went into a semi-alerted state after it detected me through a glass box and then just... vanished. It was simply no longer there, just the round fixture stayed and I could hear the spinning sound, but the gargoyle-camera was nowhere to be found.
    • The second one, in front of the archmage's quarters, seemed to have a broken range of rotation when I first saw it. Rotated from the water fountain to the _left_, to the corner of the room where nothing is, and back. It did not view the right side of the room, through which you would go to the archmage's quarters, at all. Ten minutes later I noticed it was fixed, went from the water fountain to the _right_ and back, viewing most of the room in the process. I don't know how it happened.
  • The skeletons sometimes did not hit me at all even when standing right in front of me. This may be intentional, with some randomness present, other times they hit pretty hard.
  • After you first go through a magic wall from the sewers, you enter a short tunnel that leads into a room with a few crystals and a bit of loot behind another magic wall. Well, getting back into this short tunnel from the room is a pain, because the hole probably has some weird shape. It took me about 15 tries to trigger a mantle. I had more issues with mantling into windows than I normally do in general, for some reason. The floor in the crystal room is also strange, with some small invisible floor obstacles I had to jump/climb on where I'd expect to just walk.
  • By far the biggest one: I LEARNED HOW TO FLY!!1
    • The ladder in the room with the elixir tablet broke somehow, climbing down on it became very slow and when I tried to step off it, I just stayed in mid air and could fly around the room at that altitude. The gravity stopped working. I had to approach the ladder again to make another step down, after which I could fly again at that lowered altitude. If I touched stairs or climbed the ladder all the way down, the gravity fixed itself. However, after this the bug started happening on all ladders and sometimes when jumping on stairs, off railings or tables.
    • I don't think I managed to trigger it in the city, only in the library, but that may just have been a fluke. It stayed like this even when saving/loading and exiting the game inbetween.
  • The pillars on the sides of the fireplace alcove here are levitating about 10 cm above the floor. Not a big deal, but it's visible.
    written_2022-03-17_19_30_14.thumb.jpg.c68bfb14a81ba203a2cc1c6c323885f5.jpg

Edited by vozka
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, vozka said:

I encountered some bugs though, although some may be 2.10 bugs, so here they are:

Hey, thanks for playing! Also, thanks for the bug list. The ladder one is particularly interesting. 

• Like 1

Congrats on the mission, it was awesome! 

Spoiler

The glasses were cool, (but I kept forgetting to use them) so had to double back over a lot of places but worth it. The new security cameras were just a little on the creepy side and I had to come here to get a hint on how to shut off. (glasses needed again lol) I loved all the secrets, well 9 out of 10 of them as I couldn't find # 10 - must be my last bit of missing loot, as well as I like that they are now added into the mission stats (puts sticky note away). 

This was really like two missions in one. The foot prints were very helpful in figuring out routes in the first half. Once into the sewers, the glasses helped lead the way. I found once entering the compound, I was having trouble figuring out where everyone was and who was coming and going as the sound was carrying so much I was feeling "stuck". I then figured out I could knock some of them out so it kind of evened up the playing field a bit. 

Thanks for all your hard work, it really shows. :)

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Thiefette said:

Thanks for all your hard work, it really shows. :)

And thank you for playing :). I am also super impressed you found 9 out of the ten on your first go. I'd be curious to know what the last one was once you find it