Amadeus

Story Quality and Theme (Stars)  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Story Quality and Theme (Stars)

2. 2. Gameplay Quality (Stars)

3. 3. Visual Quality (Stars)

1 hour ago, esme said:
Spoiler

I noticed that the crystal dagger is a key, but I can't find anything it opens, is there something to open with it ?

yep! 

Spoiler

Take it back to the teleporter in the mage tower

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, therealdadbeard said:

it just goes back into the main menu

Yeah, I'd venture a guess that something is wrong here. You are on TDM version 2.10, right? And can you post your config file here? This will likely be an issue for a TDM dev though, @Dragofer or @nbohr1more

2 hours ago, therealdadbeard said:

Is something wrong with my game after picking up the

Reveal hidden contents

spectatcles

it just goes back into the main menu

Please open a thread in the tech support forum.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

2 hours ago, pom said:

how do you unbrick the door at the bottom of the stairwell to get access to the east reading room?

Can you clarify? getting access to that room should be fairly straightforward

9 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Can you clarify? getting access to that room should be fairly straightforward

hi sure, the doorway is bricked up, the one on the lowest level of the stairwell, i checked  a walkthrough video on youtube and its open, no bricks, but i cant finf a way to remove the bricks

• 2 weeks later...

Playing this and 'Iris' back to back may have been a mistake. Content overload xD

All enjoyable so far, though undead seem inconsistently knock-out-able. Shame as even with overt enemies I prefer knockouts over kills.

Quick question:

Spoiler

The big crystal cave under the Library. Very pretty, but does it have an actual purpose? Spent past 15mins walking around it unable to see anything to actually do down here.

1 hour ago, Lzocast said:

Playing this and 'Iris' back to back may have been a mistake. Content overload xD

All enjoyable so far, though undead seem inconsistently knock-out-able. Shame as even with overt enemies I prefer knockouts over kills.

Quick question:

Hide contents

The big crystal cave under the Library. Very pretty, but does it have an actual purpose? Spent past 15mins walking around it unable to see anything to actually do down here.

Where did you found the melting machine + energy for that?
You would not be able to get to the crystal cave otherwise.

As for the crystal cave:

Spoiler

in there there is 1 secret (really hard to find, well hidden) + secret road to Thistlewood library area (the one where you found the etching tool)

I have just finished this mission:
I am at loss of words - fantastic work, from level design, to new gameplay mechanics, secrets (so well hidden secrets, I was able to discover only 4-5 of them).

And that secret area 

Spoiler

dedicated to Grayman - I had no idea darkmod is capable of such a nice daylight levels with no performance drops anymore! 😮

I still remember few years back this would not have been possible.

Edited by Tarhiel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK I'm a bit lost as to what to do now:

Spoiler

I have the Archmage's journal. I have the arcane rod (which can be used on crystal pedestals, although currently all it did with the one I tested it on was to turn it off). I have the Inquisitor's skull, and I recently found some Etching Tools in a library. But I don't know what to do with all this. Some people talk about a sword, I haven't found it yet, plus I'm not sure where to actually go.

Also something tells me this is one of those missions where I'll end up trying my absolute best and still miss a ton of loot. But I assuming no-one gets all the loot on a mission of this size on the first try. :)

EDIT: Well I managed somehow...

Spoiler

I even got the loot requirement despite thinking I'd miss out, though only ended up with a little over half the total loot in the level. I suspect a lot of it was scattered around the hidden temple or whatever that region was called, but frankly trying to hunt for loot while stay quiet across marble floors with several of the enemies being undead and not-KO'able, nah. If I have to choose between loot and a low stealth score, I choose the low stealth score almost all the time. :)

I did manage 4 out of 10 secrets, which I'm happy with. I had heard of a memorial for Grayman and supposedly there's a means to access it via the mate tower, but you need a sword key and I didn't find one, much less where you'd use it in the tower. I did end up no-clipping and finding the rather spectacular memorial anyway, but I kinda wanted to earn it legitimately.

Anyway, overall a really solid mission.

Edited by Xolvix
  • Thanks 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

On 3/12/2022 at 11:02 PM, Shaz said:
  Hide contents

Is the readable one you can pick up, or is it stationary? There's no stationary notes. The only readable I have on me that might be pertinent (and it was a while back so not sure where I found it) is Sewer Note. Is that it?

Edit to add: If so, I've been all over the sewers with the glasses on, fruitlessly.

EDIT AGAIN ARGH
HOW DID I MISS THAT NOTE UNDER THE PILLOW ON THE BUNKBED
I AM SO BLIND

Especially given HOW MANY TIMES I freaking SCOURED this area

And now, the mission is complete. Thank you for a wonderful experience, my own blindness notwithstanding!

And...eww...um...that is a very... different ... pick'pocket'.

Hello,

I have found this note but I don't understand where I have to go to find this key. Help will be welcome.

Regards,

JB

11 hours ago, JBERT said:

I have found this note but I don't understand where I have to go to find this key. Help will be welcome.

Spoiler

this puzzle gives new meaning to the phrase "on his person" lol. Check him out with the xray specs

9 hours ago, Azaran said:
Spoiler

The crystal sword and arcane rod?

I'm glad you like it! Ink and Dust was a pretty heavy inspiration for sure. As for your question:

Spoiler

the rod is used to disable the camgoyles via the pedestal. and take the crystal sword back to the teleporter in the mage tower

Another great addition to TDM. The names behind this one kinda gave away it was going to be a treat.

As far as level design goes, this one's up there among some of my personal favorites. The snowy city ambience followed up by decaying underground libraries and crumbling halls was right up my alley. The first half is a tried and tested recipe for success - you can almost feel the cold as you explore the rather sizable portion of the city and break into various shops and apartments to take anything you fancy. It looks good, plays good, with plenty of verticality and some new mechanics thrown in. Speaking of which, I think the spectacles in particular really spice up what would have been a great mission even without them. 

The second half of the map is no less impressive and shows just how good the authors are at crafting interiors. For people like me who adore exploring forgotten places it is a true feast to the eyes. Pretty creepy too. You really nailed the 'ancient, crumbling' look. After knocking out and exterminating the inhabitants, I took my time to explore the whole place and adore the grand libraries.

Spoiler

The liches showing various states of decomposition was a really nice touch, great attention to detail right there. I also really enjoyed using the spectacles to look for secrets and pickpocketing the swallowed key.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1