The Dark Mod Forums

Can every1 pls update his FM with a saveroom possibility on hardmode like in the Kingsals latest FM?

Hooded Lantern

Every FM should have a SR as an option on hardmode. This saveroom option is what the Dark Mod needs IMO. I know its a designchoice, the map has to be build around it, but it is possible to add it later on afaik.

The saveroom option would make every FM more qualitative and the playthrough more thoughtful. Anyway, i love it and it fits superb.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

@AluminumHasteHazard Pay  has resident evil style save rooms on hard / expert. I was trying to find a way to test out the new save_admin feature. 

@Hooded Lantern Im glad you like it. Assuming it works good enough, I plan to add this feature or something like it in my next couple missions. 

• Like 4

Just tried it, kinda cool, like Gloomwood.

But, really don't like it in general. It really prevents the player from being adventurous and trying things out. The penalty is so severe, it's awful.

Just lost 30 minutes of gameplay because I accidentally touched the electrified rails, gg insant death wtf. Maybe do 10 pts of dmg per second instead.

You had this beta tested right?!?!

• Like 4

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

@Obsttorte was the one who pushed for limited saves for things like this.

I recall that there was a great deal of uproar about that too but ultimately it was decided that the feature would allow mappers to ensure outcomes and difficulty for their missions if they prefer. This implementation of "hard mode only" is a perfect compromise as I can tell.

• Like 3

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I like the increased restrictions on equipment and higher difficulty, but very much dislike save restrictions. I get that this is your mission and you have designed it this way, I'm not asking you to change that, not my place, I'm just a player.

I would strongly recommend NOT having instant death hazards when you restrict saves like this.

• Like 3

Ha, experiments are cool. Yee i too decided against save restrictions. There is just no way to make it feasable.
However you are on the right track to glory.
Your mission on normal difficulty is very round, i love the blowtorch mechanic so much that i wrote it onto the delightfyl ideas board.

If this was a standalone game you could charge money for that. This comes from a person who already managed todo that.

:) cant wait to see more!

Can we have more scary Zombie Horror maps?

Just now, Filizitas said:

There was a save restriction in the mission?

On the harder difficulties you could only save in rooms with a gramophone, and only with one of a limited supply of gears to put into the gramophone.

I thought it was a cool feature and definitely fitting for that map. On balance though I think I wouldn't use it myself- you never know when you might have to "burn" your last save because you got a phone call or an unexpected visitor. IMO restrictions like iron man, supreme ghost, etc work best as self imposed challenges.

But I know plenty of other people like these restrictions and one of the great things about TDM is that there's maps for every play style and preference. You're not locked in to any one thing.

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

5 minutes ago, thebigh said:

I thought it was a cool feature and definitely fitting for that map. On balance though I think I wouldn't use it myself- you never know when you might have to "burn" your last save because you got a phone call or an unexpected visitor. 

Definitely. This was big concern, but when it worked in playtest people liked it. There are other ways to restrict saves, instant single use items, auto-saves / check points. I think next time I'll try out some different stuff. 

• Like 2

Well, I've always been a strong believer in options, options, options, so save restrictions on the highest levels (or as an added iron man level) are fine so long as there are easier levels. I've been playing Fallout 4 off and on for years and on survival mode you can only save by sleeping in a bed, sleeping bag, or on a mattress, but there were far more hazards than that. Eventually that wasn't enough for me so I set my own rules: no armour, limited weapons, no perks, and no killing humans at all. I completed the whole thing twice under that rule so I made myself an even harder rule: no companion AND do not kill any humans. I never quite finished the end battle but it gave the whole game a new lease of life.

So, yes, extra hard as an option. But speaking of options, I'm a great believer that ALL games by law must provide a super easy level (you can switch to at any time) that is a virtual walkthrough (or skip hard sections after x attempts like GTA5.) No game should be allowed to frustrate or prevent anyone finishing it. I mean, if you bought a movie and couldn't finish the DVD you'd want your money back, right? I read recently an estimated 80% of games are never finished! OUTRAGEOUS! And how many of us gamers know dozens of family and friends who can't play games at all because they are too hard for them? The games market is potentially much bigger than we know.

OPTIONS, options, options... <mumbles away obsessively into the distance.> ;)

• Like 3

What the heck is a Save Room and how does it help gameplay???

• Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

1 hour ago, NeonsStyle said:

What the heck is a Save Room and how does it help gameplay???

If you do not want the player to be able to save the game wherever and wherever they like, you can restrict them to only be able to save in certain locations. These are save rooms.

I'm not a fan personally, but opinions differ. I guess they work well in tense survival horror missions.

• Like 2

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

I really enjoyed the save room option and was a strong advocate for it in testing. It puts a slightly more real spin on the consequences of player actions. As yes, should you not ration out your save progress; it can end badly. It forces you to play much more intentionally as you don't have a safety net, which I much prefer.

• Like 1

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

6 hours ago, Epifire said:

I really enjoyed the save room option and was a strong advocate for it in testing. It puts a slightly more real spin on the consequences of player actions. As yes, should you not ration out your save progress; it can end badly. It forces you to play much more intentionally as you don't have a safety net, which I much prefer.

Restrict players save points, then give them a sword to combat zombies who have higher damage output and high hp pools.
The restricted savegames in effect, just make you so much more cautious with every decision, when the penalty for screwing up....well anything, is to lose your progress.

Also, last night I snuck around for over an hour in the underground area, taking my time.

Well, I ran out of time and had to shut the computer down without finding the next save point, so that hour was lost.
The whole concept seems s throwback to limitations of consoles storage space honestly and is antiquated and out dated.

This is my opinion and I don't think Kingsgal should change his mission because of one players dissatisfaction with a feature. For me it's a shame, as his missions are some of the best, including this one. There's some platforming to get to secrets and not being able to save before trying something tricky hurts.

• Like 3

So have I got this right

Instead of saving the game whenever we like, a feature we've had from the beginning, the proposal is we now have a designated spot where the game is auto saved ?

If that's the case, can I request a flag somewhere on the download page that tells me which missions have this feature so I don't bother downloading them

I REALLY enjoy the harder difficulties like stronger opponents, higher acuities etc, but I still want to be able to save frequently. I don't have time any more to replay the same section over and over again, I have 3 kids, 6 days a week job. After the third failure and back to the beginning, I basically just want to give up on the mission.

Then playing it on easy it TOO easy and I just breeze through.

I would really like the ability to still save with console, knowing that I'm cheating myself out of the intended experience.

I don't know, I don't like complaining like this as it discourages authors from trying new things, and authors and new things are two of the things we need the most to keep the game alive.

@kingsal I love your work and your missions are fantastic. Full stop.

• Like 2