The Dark Mod Forums

Dying Light 2

Fidcal

Been looking forward to this for ages but am very disappointed with the start. Dying Light 1 had/has the best climbing in any game I've ever played. BUT the start of Dying Light 2 is a scene where you have to climb up to a ledge. Two sessions and 90 minutes later and much frustration, I've still not succeeded. Endless failure is NOT the way to start a game! What am I missing? Move and jump. Fail. Move and jump. Fail. Move and Jump. Hey, I'm up a step! Move and jump. Fail. Move and jump. Fail. Move and jump. Hey I'm up another step! Move and jump. Fall. To my death. Start again. Repeat 50 times. In different places. I got within 8 metres of the guy above but still couldn't reach him.

By contrast, the parkour training in DL1 was much more fair.

I had this a bit with Call of Cthulu Dark corners of the earth. There's that part where you are in a hotel and have to flee from room to room, but in the end you have to make a certain jump.

That jump is really hard to do (at least with keyboard and mouse) and if you fail, you have to start over, including (if I remember correctly) the whole intro video before it.

It's not really at the start, but a chapter later which might be worse.. I used a trainer to fly over that point.

Edited by datiswous

The whole not being able to save thing is a real turn off for me. It discourages me from trying anything at all and playing insanely cautious/conservative. It also blatantly throws away the player's time and disregards the inevitable and unpredictable intrusion of real life that happens. As for DL2, I'm really really disappointed with it. Especially compared to the first game. It may be a silly thing, but the trees growing out of an inch or two of soil, or sometimes even plain concrete, really really irks me:)

Overall the whole tone of the game has changed from the much more "realistic" and horror themed action RPG to a Saturday morning cartoon. The combat feels slow and easier compared to the briefer and more fast paced fights from the first game. The human AI is, well, retarded. Literally. I actually started playing the first game over again thinking maybe I misremembered things but nope. Even the voice acting is better in the first.

I don't know, I hate to be so negative about it, and even though I really enjoyed the original it certainly had flaws. But this game is just not good. The magic x-ray vision was bad in the first game and its only more egrigious now in the sequel. Rips me right out of the world when I do get immersed and its a blatant necessity since the game does so little to communicate things to the player using level or world design. The narrative choices are of minimal consequence and ultimately the two factions, your relationship with them and their relationship between each other is static and unchanging despite your actions. They feel like window dressing and never actually interact in the world nor exist outside of their safe zones.

Sorry to rant lol. Its just that the game was high on my list of anticipated releases and I thought it just may be different than the depressing trend in AAA gaming. The praise kind of boggles me a bit too. If this were Ubisoft, which it almost looks like from the open-world bloat and genericness, everyone would be calling them out but for some reason Techland gets a bit of a pass.

Edited by ate0ate
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, datiswous said:

Is it this jump?

Hide contents

Probably not. I remember ditching the original Dying light because of all the zombies. Personally I don't like them, but a lot of people here do aparently.

It was not about zombies, it was about melee combat. All that skull-crashing bone-breaking pulp-mashing RAGE!11 if you know what I mean 🤪

Oh, well, I suppose you did not experience that suppressed frustration thing like I did at the time when the game was released.

Well, just had a fourth session and none the wiser. From the start you run forward and jump over a log. Then a jump over a depression to a ledge. Then turn left and jump up to a higher ledge. Then run forward and leap to another ledge. Finally a longer jump to another extended shelf. All that is reasonably easy once you try not to hate the marker system.

But then you are on a shelf below a semi-circular sheer cliff. The shelf ends in a dead drop at either end. In between I can see no way up. I've tried blind jumping all the way round at every point many, many time without success. I see no further way to go.

I'm playing on 'easy'. P'uh! If I could press a button in Steam and get even half my money back, I'd do it.

I might search Utube for a walkthrough tomorrow, but why should I have to? I've failed. The game has failed.

Someone tell me there's  a secret grappling hook hidden under a rock? A levitation potion in your inventory? You shout to the guy above and he lowers a rope ladder? Or you walk round the other side and there's a road you can walk up?

I had similar objections to the first Assassin's Creed game: the controls were utterly inscrutable. I'd be trying to climb a tower or something, and then suddenly the same awkward combination of keypresses that would let me grab on to an overhanging wooden beam a minute ago now cause me to crabwalk off the ledge. It was nuts.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

OK, finally gave in and watched a Youtube vid. At the point I mentioned you run around a slope in the opposite direction to where you want to go and climb up onto a different cliff and make a HUGE leap across to the cliff you want. I admit the game does indicate earlier you can make big forward leaps but, fresh from other games, it never occurred to me from below that you could jump that far so I never even saw it. Imagine in Dark Mod you have to climb the house across the street and jump the width of the street! No rope, no pipe, no physical link at all. The marker (like most games) is fixed on where to get to, not the route. A hint in the game at this early stage would have helped. As it is, it's completely ruined the game for me, leaving a bad feeling, when a game should be enjoyable.

Games ought to be able to tell when you've spent four game hours in one nothing location without moving forward and (optionally) help you move on. Devs still don't know what gaming is about. It's about only one single thing: enjoyment! Everything else is subsidiary.

On 2/7/2022 at 10:24 AM, datiswous said:

I had this a bit with Call of Cthulu Dark corners of the earth. There's that part where you are in a hotel and have to flee from room to room, but in the end you have to make a certain jump.

attack of the f... fishmen aye i remember that.

the problem is that the protagonist runs about as well as i walk with medium speed :S unfortunatly there where quite a lot of bugs probably stemming from the fact that it was finished by one man after they went bankrupt.

which is sad really because if they had time to iron out the remaining bugs and polish it a bit more it would have probably topped the gaming charts.

• Like 2

I thought that that everything up to that point was really great and played more like some sort of adventure game, but after that it became a shooter. There was also a scene where you have to save someone (I think) and have limited time. I failed there so many times I stopped playing.

When I watch video's of it I think that it looks really great, but the gameplay is not so good throughout the whole game, which is a shame.

I also had such a moment with the Mass Effect 3 Rannoch Reaper Boss, where after trying like 12 times I gave up on the whole game, although I liked most of the game, the boss fights are awful. I'm against the concept of bossfights in general. They're usually a bad excuse (I think) for not making interesting enemy ai. These parts also usually take most of your freedom away and there is just only one way to kill it.

It's done ok I think in for example FEAR Extraction Point, where most of the game enemy ai is very interesting to play against and in the end there are just some tougher enemies.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, datiswous said:

I thought that that everything up to that point was really great and played more like some sort of adventure game, but after that it became a shooter. There was also a scene where you have to save someone (I think) and have limited time. I failed there so many times I stopped playing.

ruth becker ? aye that one can be a drag and takes some carefull maneuvering, well she dies anyway and no matter what you do so it is a bit disingeniously laid out :/.

hmm newer really had any problems with mass effect 3, the reaper on rannoch fight can seem a bit daunting but just do this -> run to either side of the plateu then target the reaper. when he starts opening his red eye run to the other side untill he shuts off his laser then target him again, rinse and repeat. when hees allmost in your face keep targetting him and a cutscene will play where all the ships in orbit beat the crap out of him :)

• Like 1

oh and aye dark corners did something previously unheard in a survival game at its time by allowing weapons.

ammo is scarce though and for instance the yithian ligting gun takes quite a while to rev up, so in that regard it does not feel to game breaking.

most of the gfx glitches can be worked around these days like the 3 sorcerer's on devils reef which need a new shader you can get here https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Call_of_Cthulhu:_Dark_Corners_of_the_Earth

some require a bit more like on some gfx cards it refuses to run, in that case get dxvk from here https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk you will need the msys2 mingw64 build system to compile the dll's and you need the 32 bit d3d9.dll and dxvk.conf file copied to where the game executable is. this makes the game run on vulkan instead of directx and works really well. you could also use dgvoodoo2.

• Like 2

With all its flaws, Call of Cthulu Dark corners of the earth, was a game that catched my attention more than many new games.

I also found out that the game, has a cool hidden debug menu, that you can enable by using a exe editor, is also a cheat menu because you can enable god mode and infinite ammo on it. :)

• Like 1

aye the dcotepatcher :) can also be used for fixing quite a few of the problems this game has.

as mentioned the protagonist is running so slow he must be atleast 90 years old, gets even worse on high resolutions btw. dcotepatcher can modify run speed as well as several other parameters like how morphine affects the protagonist and how much of the gruesome he can stand before he goes nuts and kills himself (yes if he looses to much sanity he will actually blow his own brains out). can also unlock godmode and the hardest setting for the game mythic investigator without having to play through the previous hardness.

• Like 1