The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day [TDM 2.10 ONLY] (2022/2/8)

Jedi_Wannabe

How would you rate Moving Day? (vote after playing)  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Story (briefing, readables, etc.)

2. 2. Visuals (graphics, atmosphere, architecture)

3. 3. Gameplay (immersion, flow, believability, etc.)

43 minutes ago, nbohr1more said:

The mission requires 2.10 beta, so it cannot be added to the mission database yet.

If @Jedi_Wannabe gives me permission, I will add it anyway.

It will just throw an error about needing 2.10 for all 2.09 players who try to play it.

Sounds good to me! Please and thank you!

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

2 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Blessed be The Builder! Humbled to be in the running.

I’ve been downloading mods and add-ons for years from ModDB but never had one of my own up there 🤩.  2 downloads already haha!

Edited by Jedi_Wannabe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, datiswous said:

I added it to the mission database on the wiki:

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Fan_Missions_for_The_Dark_Mod

Does this have EFX?

Yes, but I’ve been made aware it’s broken in an area or two

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I loved the trip up to the mansion, including paying a quick visit to the pagan cave.

Running around the huge interior hoovering up loot was a lot of fun as well, and getting inside the Lord's chambers was just hard enough to be challenging without becoming a frustrating key hunt.

I did think going aaaaalllll the way back to the start was anticlimactic, since all the challenges had already been dealt with.

• Thanks 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

8 hours ago, thebigh said:

I loved the trip up to the mansion, including paying a quick visit to the pagan cave.

Running around the huge interior hoovering up loot was a lot of fun as well, and getting inside the Lord's chambers was just hard enough to be challenging without becoming a frustrating key hunt.

I did think going aaaaalllll the way back to the start was anticlimactic, since all the challenges had already been dealt with.

Thanks for playing! I’m glad you had fun. Hopefully I constructed it in a way a second play through on higher difficulty will still be fun.

I agree with your last statement. If the pagan cave was already discovered on your way up, then there’s little excitement left on your way back, other than an opportunity to grab loot you missed. When I update, I plan to have the gate by the stables be an alternate exit point, once all objectives are completed. That would really help I think, thoughts?

-Jedi

• Like 2

Sounds like a good plan.

If you do end up updating, there's also these tiny issues I saw while playing:

ptb0_caulk.jpg.d1c8ffffa00f987cad953af3d98448bb.jpg

ptb0_gap.png.cb804107f8f67d3c7e38f42bce1beaf1.png

• Thanks 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

I think what I've got is the official release from the downloader, but after the briefing it dumps me at the console, having apparently tried to load an incorrect map name (startingmap.txt says movingday31, the files provided are movingday54).

Edit: ah, I think I've found the problem. At some point I must have downloaded a prerelease version called movingday; the final version is called ptb0; therefore the earlier one didn't get overwritten. False alarm then, sorry.

Edited by VanishedOne
  • Like 1

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

I’m really blown away with the number of 5’s I’ve gotten in my poll thus far. Glad folks seem to be enjoying my mission overall.

As for the 1 in gameplay, I am not butthurt. But if the user who cast that vote would like to share why, either publicly here, or privately in DM, I’d greatly appreciate it. All criticism is constructive for me as a newb mapper. 

Thanks, taffers!

• Like 1

Yeah... that rating of 1 sticks out like a sore thumb. I think it is completely unfair.

• Like 1

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

On 3/17/2022 at 8:27 AM, Jedi_Wannabe said:

I’m really blown away with the number of 5’s I’ve gotten in my poll thus far. Glad folks seem to be enjoying my mission overall.

As for the 1 in gameplay, I am not butthurt. But if the user who cast that vote would like to share why, either publicly here, or privately in DM, I’d greatly appreciate it. All criticism is constructive for me as a newb mapper. 

Thanks, taffers!

Haters gonna hate. Never mind them.

I didn't play your mission yet. Is it in beta still?

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

19 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Haters gonna hate. Never mind them.

I didn't play your mission yet. Is it in beta still?

I’m not sweating it, just a missed opportunity to learn something, is all.

This mission is finished and released! Version 2 gets some work when I need a break from PtB:1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow. I played this but never commented on it or voted on it. Just did.

Very late, but Congratulations on the release. It's so satisfying to finally get your masterpiece

out that you've been crawling all over for months. This was a very good mission. I quite

enjoyed it, and the mansion was gorgeous, though awfully big. I loved the little detail

on the masters bed. lol Very well made mission. Congrats Jedi. I know this mission being released means a lot to you. :D

• Thanks 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• nbohr1more changed the title to Fan Mission: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day [TDM 2.10 ONLY] (2022/2/8)

Awesome post Jedi. I get all of that. When I was younger I lived and breathed games. Every time I bought a new game, I had to sit down and read the manual (you got manuals back then usually 1/2 inch thick). Then if it was a new subject, I'd books to learn about that subject. Gaming has always been a huge stress release. Only now as I'm getting older has my passion for it begun to dwindle as there's so little new ideas for games, and it's all starting to look very formulaic like movies. Ubisoft is king of formula games, which is why I don't play them anymore. TDM though has gotten better and better with every passing year. More complex, more possibilities for creativity which is where I get my gaming jollies today. :)

• Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

On 3/23/2022 at 4:24 PM, Jedi_Wannabe said:

Tru dat!

My first ever Thief experience was in 5th grade, when my older brother brought home a PC game magazine that had an Eidos demo disc with it. Included were demos for Tomb Raider 1 & 2, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Omicron: The Nomad Soul (wasn't effin' David Bowie in that game?!), Revenant, Commandos, and lastsly TDP. Some were just cutscenes, some were playable demos of the first level, so obviously I must have played Bafford's Manor about 200 times.

It's simply incredible how the story it's pretty the same worldwide :D

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

13 hours ago, NeonsStyle said:

Awesome post Jedi. I get all of that. When I was younger I lived and breathed games. Every time I bought a new game, I had to sit down and read the manual (you got manuals back then usually 1/2 inch thick).

I used to love opening the manual for the first time and flipping the pages real quick in front of my face whilst taking a big nasal inhale. Nothing better than new game manual smell. You just don’t get that anymore.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Behold! A video playthrough.

Playthrough

• Thanks 1

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

12 hours ago, thebigh said:

Behold! A video playthrough.

Playthrough

Thanks for that! I love watching other people play.

How embarrassing that first chokepoint is borked, no one reported the first lantern guard in the forest having a broken path. (when you looped back around and saw him again "Oh he's back to his old tricks!" made me chuckle.) On the list now obviously lol. Still watching the vid; 3 hrs might take me a while to get through

A few quotes: 

"Alright horse gimme ur money. Oh what? I just robbed a horse!"

Edited by Jedi_Wannabe

That isn't me playing, it's just one of the playlists I keep an eye on

• Like 1

A House Call

The House of deLisle